The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: new to roleplaying anyone wanna teach about it?  (Read 4923 times)

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Species: wolf
  • Coloring: gray fur with black stripe down the middle of back
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: drooling as i wonder what is for lunch <3
new to roleplaying anyone wanna teach about it?
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:46:17 AM »
so I'm new to this and dunno what I'm doing, it'd be really cool is somebody could help me out.

i assume I'm supposed to say I'm doing something and describe some stuff based on what i read in the thing on here about how to role play.

Jesse the wolf was walking through the woods whistling to himself. he was wearing dark jeans and a v neck tee shirt. he stopped for a sec because he thought he saw something in the bushes, he couldn't tell because he was upwind of the bushes.

Offline [Sov]

• Your Local Neurotic Hyena
  • Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • One more word and you wont survive.
    • Awards
  • Species: Striped Hyena
  • Coloring: Chocolate brown stripes, sandy colored fur
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 150lbs
  • Build: Curvy~
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Neurotic!
Re: new to roleplaying anyone wanna teach about it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:09:28 AM »
I'll teach you.  :) Also, there are two stickied threads at the top of the training grounds page that are really helpful. Give 'em a read.

Jovi had been out for her evening jog in the woods when she heard an unfamiliar whistle. Her right ear swiveled in the direction of the noise and she saw a wolf that she didn't recognize. Jovi knew pretty much everybody in these parts so it was odd that she didn't know this one. Her running slowed to a walk and her heavy hooves made a pretty loud clopping noise as she slowed her pace. "Hello?"
I am closed for commissions. See my furaffinity for pricing.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
Shuffling the cards of your game
And just in time
In the right place
Suddenly I will play my ace

Wanna find me in other places?

FurAffinity::Twitter

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 01:50:10 PM »
thannk you :) and i may be slow responding as i am in school now

jesse heard the clapping of hooves and looked to see a lean black horse galloping towards him. she was slowing down steadily and she called out to him "hello" she had said, "hi there" jesse replied.
he took a small step towards waving his paw, as he walked his tail swished and the wind blew her scent towards him

Offline [Sov]

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 05:58:38 PM »
Jovi smiled at him, and extended her hand, "I'm Jovi, are you new around here? I don't think I've ever seen you before." The mare said with quizzical shaded grey blue eyes looking the wolf over. She had her mane tied in it's usual left side braid and was feeling pretty perky that day since the weather was nice.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
And just in time
In the right place

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 02:27:35 AM »
jesse reached for jovis hoove and shakes it whilst saying "im jesse, im new here, how do you do? he said looking the mare over. his hair was short and swept down to the right side of his face, he had on a black t shirt and jeans.

Offline [Sov]

• Noble Newt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
K so what I've seen so far is that you get the general gist of what role playing is, but it's important in role playing to recall the details that you've previously posted. In your first post you mentioned what you were wearing, and then changed it in the last post you made. Even if only slightly, in serious RP's even little details like that are important. The second thing is that I said that Jovi extended her hand, and then you said hoof. Not a big deal, but I've designed Jovi to have regular hands- mostly because hand hooves are a pain in the ass and only having 4 fingers is also a pain. (That's how most hoofed anthro animals translate out, hand wise.)

There are a bunch of different kind of role plays, do you have one that you'd specifically like to get into? If it's social RPing like what we're doing- we can continue on as is, but if it's magic or fighting role playing I can steer this into that direction. The most important thing to remember is detail, detail, detail.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
And just in time
In the right place

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30:56 AM »
If it isn't too presumptuous of me to jump in and offer my two bits...

I think what you have written, darryldemented, is excellent. I agree whole-heartedly with Jovi though. Try to think of it as a story that you've read or a movie that you have seen. Details are everything, especially with characters that belong to others.

I would also suggest that you may wish to explore "exploring" in the world. You write well, but very little. For example:

--- --- ---
"Jesse the wolf was walking through the woods whistling to himself. he was wearing dark jeans and a v neck tee shirt. he stopped for a sec because he thought he saw something in the bushes, he couldn't tell because he was upwind of the bushes."
--- --- ---

This is great. It introduces the character and shows the reader what Jesse looks like, what Jess is doing, and (even better in my humble opinion) what Jesse is thinking. But don't be afraid to expand, perhaps like so:

--- --- ---
Jesse the wolf breathed deeply, savoring the morning air. His dark jeans and v-neck t-shirt felt fantastic this early in the summer in the forest. This was one thing that he truly enjoyed: taking a morning walk through the woods without a care in the world. He even began to whistle to celebrate the calm surrounding him. Suddenly, Jesse stopped.
What was that? Jesse thought to himself. Is someone there?
"Hello!" Jesse yelled, trying to determine whether or not someone was there. His sense of smell was failing him as the wind was in the wrong direction. "Is someone there?"
--- --- ---

I apologize for the length of the post. I LOVE to write novels, so I end up being long winded in my posts.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:35:27 AM by Otebon12 »
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline [Sov]

• Noble Newt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 05:41:07 AM »
Otebon is very long winded....... but has wonderful detail in all of his posts.  X3 Sorry, Ote, Couldn't help but jab atcha.  ;)

Which actually brings me to another point, depending on your role in a specific RP you may need to be a person who writes long winded posts to give others details and things to react to, however, the more you write the easier it is for everybody. Most will follow suit.

I’m taking it slow
Feeding my flame
And just in time
In the right place

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 02:57:57 PM »
Otebon, i appreciate your insight it was very helpful.
ill have to remember to try to write more and describe things better. i can see how it would compare to writing a novel as it is basicly a living story. :)
and sorry about mixing things up jovi i had just read hooves and when i typed my reply i was thinking of your character in terms of actual horses for some reason. XD

and i would like to try battle now but first i have a few questions,
how do you deal damage to your opponent?
how is victory decided?
and is there any specific set of rules?

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 06:10:25 PM »
I appreciate that you though I was helpful. You don't have to write nearly as much as I do though. Generally people write somewhere between 3-5 lines. As I write fairly often, I always describe into infinity.

As it pertains to battle, I have actually never participated in one through an RP. The way I would run it though (as a player and not as an Author [the one running the RP]) is as follows...

-Dealing damage is through story, unless otherwise stated. This means that you would write something like...

"Jesse charged towards his enemy slashing left and right with his blade..."

I would caution against saying that you actually injure another player (or enemy for that matter) as the decision is up to the Author.

-Victory is decided by the Author in mutual agreement with the Players.

-As always, rules are set by the Author. Everyone will play it differently so just make sure that you read everything before beginning a game.

Jovi will correct me and make sure that you have the best instruction.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:44 AM »
ah i see well that makes sense. :)

wanna begin?

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 02:21:56 AM »
Sure... I'll begin then I guess. Since I don't know what kind of fighting you would prefer to try out (as you could do everything from hand to hand to ranged in nearly any story), I'll start with a simple training situation and allow you to fill in the details to tell me WHEN the story is.

(This is also a good opportunity to use the details of the situation to give the reader a feel for the time period and what is in the area)

--- --- ---

Otebon opened his eyes slowly as he heard the door open. The light filtered in through the windows and brightened the floor at such an angle that it couldn't be much after noon, if that. Normally, having his meditations disturbed at this hour would have been an annoyance, but those feelings disappeared as he saw his favorite student, Jesse, enter through the large oak double doors at the far end of the training hall. Otebon stood and straightened the wrinkles from his clothes as he spoke.

"Hello again Jesse," Otebon said with a kindly air. "With which weapon would you like to train with today?"

--- --- ---

*I tried to let you pick the weapon. Now it's your turn to tell the story. Tell me, the reader and author what is in the room. Tell me what are Jesse's thoughts about everything. Tell me which weapons are available and which you pick and why.

Initiate the combat.

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 02:56:46 AM »
Jesse padded across the vinyl sparring mat and bowed to otebon. "greetings master Obeton" he said as he walked toward the weapon racks. he knew his master was skill ed in all the weapons in the room so he would have to pick carefully if he had the slightest hope of winning. he tied his head band around his forehead completing his kung fu uniform. it was dark gray and fit loosely complimenting his trim figure. his tail hung out of the small slit that his master had cut in the back of the pants. Jesse smiled everytime he wore it as he usually had to make the tail slit his self.

Jesse walked down the length of the wall padding along the hardwood floor and eying the weapons on the racks. they lined both sides of the room the left side was for blunt weapons such as nunchukus, staves and axes. the right was for bladed weapons such as swords, dirks and such. Jesse favored the sleek look of the blades. he believed battle should always be stylized.

his eyes landed on a red steel katana it was about 5' in total length and had a small gilded handle it was traditional in style and light weight no more than 5 or 6 pounds. it was one of his favorites. his other was a set of elven short swords they were about 4' in length and weighed about 3 pounds each. Jesse decided on the red steel katanna as he didn't feel like juggling the elven swords today. 

he stepped in to the Circle and confronted his master. "i have chosen this blade Master"

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 04:14:14 AM »
Wow :D ! That was a fantastic introduction of a character and scene. Just from that, you made the reader feel as though they were in the room with Jesse. With little details like "vinyl sparring mat" and the construction of your training garb, you painted a very vibrant picture of the room. I (as a reader) now know that the room holds mainly "ancient" weapons, including some made up versions like the elven swords, but is set in a fairly modern world due to the vinyl plastics that cover the floor. I especially enjoyed the little details (which to me are by far the more important) like...

"the left side was for blunt weapons such as nunchukus, staves and axes. the right was for bladed weapons such as swords, dirks and such. Jesse favored the sleek look of the blades. he believed battle should always be stylized.[/size] "

Excellent work. The only criticism I have is spelling and punctuation, but that's because I am a bit of a grammar nazi when it comes to writing... It doesn't get in the way of the story at all, it just is there and is something to improve. I wouldn't think anyone except other grammar nazi's would even notice it really.

Now to continue...

(as neither of our characters have back story, I will just make some assumptions in that direction. If this were a real RP, you would probably be asked to build a character to have a bit of back story so that people can draw from it and interact with you on a very personal level. For now however...)

--- --- ---

Otebon smiled as his student took the elegantly curved katana from it's place along the wall. He remembered all those years ago when Jesse had first found that particular weapon and nearly demanded that he be trained in its use.

Without uttering a sound, Otebon turned and walked to the small stand that lay at the head of the modern dojo. Here were his most prized possessions and favorite weapons. Just as he did every time he approached these weapons, Otebon's emotions vied for dominance.

These were his favorite weapons and he could not help but feel unbounded joy in each and every one. Each dagger was a beauty unto itself, every sword told a tale that never grew old, while his staves gave a silent vigil in their infinite wisdom. Every single weapon had a story to tell and Otebon spent the majority of his waking hours listening to those stories as he taught the few that traveled this far into the mountains to speak with the masters here, as he meditated, and as he cared for this place of instruction.

As Otebon got closer though, the joy dribbled away and was replaced by sorrow, especially as his eyes fell upon the Chinese Dao placed reverently in the center. It had once belonged to Otebon's father and was only in Otebon's possession now due to the brave efforts of a dear friend. Many years ago, Otebon's father had been brutally murdered. His friend retrieved his weapon and presented it to Otebon. Now it served as a constant sentinel here in his father's home.

These all fell away though as Otebon's thoughts returned to his student behind him. It was nearing the times of The Trial for Jesse, and he was no doubt deep into his studies and desperately trying to master the final Scrolls so that he could pass. Otebon smiled as he reached for a pair of long dueling daggers that had become popular in the southern provinces. They were too long to be called knives, but too short to be called swords.

Otebon turned back to his student as he absent-mindedly spun the daggers around in his hands, finally resting in what was to be called an "ice-pick" grip for both hands. These daggers would allow him to block and attack simultaneously, but never with too much force.

He wasn't going to give his student an easy time, but he thought it would be unfair if he went for something he was a true master at, like the sword or spear.

"Are you ready," Otebon asked from the far end of the room. Although nearly thirty feet separated the two, both of them knew that Otebon could close that distance in less than a second.

Without waiting for a response, Otebon charged, both daggers held against the black fur of his arms and allowed his strong lupine legs to carry him ever closer to his student. With his tail streaming behind him, Otebon leaped at the last possible moment and drew his left hand up so that it would come down with a powerful stab. His right drifted up to his ear, ready to continue the attack once he had hit the ground.

Here I come youngling, Otebon thought as he flew through the air. Give me your all!

--- --- ---
I just thought that neither of us had built the character for this. We just kind of started, so... just so you know. Otebon is a black wolf with white / grey markings.

Offline darryldemented

• Avid Aardvark
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 04:56:17 AM »
thank you :) i am glad your appreciate my writing.
i wanted to paint the setting and mix modern and ancient style
because i like both equally.

___ __

Jesse eyes Obeton as he chose his own weapons. he knew each weapons story as he had spent hours listening to his master go on and on in elaborate detail about how he found each weapon and how he learned how to use them. they were all so well crafted and beautiful. he envied his masters collection and hoped one day he too would have as many weapons as Otebon.

he watched as otebon selected a set of dualing daggers. he had seen otebon fight with these many times, they were quick defensive weapons, he knew his master would be able to parry blows quickly and that he would have to execute his strikes quickly and effieciently to win. it was a good thing he had chosen this katana. it was lightweight enough and thin enough to slice through the air dozens of times in a minute, had he chosen a blunt weapon he would have been to slow to combat the daggers.

his master approached him and called out asking if he was ready he knew the question was rhetorical and he braced himself. the battle would ensue in a moment I am ready, he thought bring it on!

his master may have been over 30 feet away but he was quick. age had not slowed him a bit.
otebon leapt forward in the blink of an eye, bringing his dagger down in a quick stabbing motion  but jesse was ready for him. he parried the blow with the sheath of his katana and slashed at otebon other arm in a fluid diagonal motion.

___ _ __
my character is a gray wolf with a black stripe going down his back and a long scar down the side of his face :D (it is assumed the scar is from a fight with a bandit of some sort during his travels)