Author Topic: How do I start?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline Wolvi

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
How do I start?
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:14:22 AM »
I just came upon furries about a couple months ago... Seeing that they would.. perform dirty things on each other. And not until recently did I discover that it was a whole world of people who liked to express themselves through ... I don't know how to explain it.

I've loved animals since I was young, then I would pretend to be them. Now I've started drawing animals and watching the videos on people who have their on fursuits. At first I was like... They're probably all nerds that live in their mom's basements. But then I realized that they are people just like me. I'm 13 years old.. still trying to discover my fursona and I only know that my species is a wolf. I don't know the rules on this forum and maybe because it's like 1 AM so I'm tired.. But I'm letting this all out >.<. I'm embarrassed to tell my mom of what furries are and what I think of them because it's like telling them you're not straight. You guys probably know how I feel and I'm just scared of what she'll say. I'm terrible and drawing animals and I know that you don't have to be good at drawing to draw your fursona, but to me, it'll make it easier. Any tips and stories on how you discovered yourself?

Please tell me if I broke any rules, because I just joined this forum a few minutes ago.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
Re: How do I start?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
As far as I know, you haven't broken any rules. So no need to worry :)

Basically, a rough explanation of what a furry is: Just someone who likes art with anthropomorphic creatures. You're only a furry if you want to be.
You don't need to be 'fully submerged' in the fandom to be a furry. Not all furries like fursuits, or have fursuits. Some furries do not want anything to do with fursuits, but can still be 'die-hard' furries, so to speak ^^

You don;t have to tell your mum yet, but if you have an understanding mother, and you two are open to each other, I'm sure she will take the news well. Sometimes the reactions, the expectations are completely different from how you think they will be. Most often they are the opposite of one another.
For example, to elaborate: You might think your mother will get mad at you, or think you're weird. But when you eventually decide to tell her, she might react not interested at all. Kind of like: 'Hmm, ok. Whatever you like to do is great.' :)

But then again, I don't know you, your mother, or your relationship to her is. Before telling her you are a furry, see what she knows about it. Try and explain to her what a furry is, and then in time, you can tell her you are one too.
That is what I would suggest you could do.

I thought people in my environment had a negative perspective on furries and the furry fandom, because of all the bad media attention. But I found out that they were very open and clear minded about it. I guess I was lucky in that way, but still (:
Never assume things.

There are many tutorials out there to learn you how to draw anthropormorphs better, so I would also suggest looking those up and learn yourself how to draw better :)

If you just want to chat or have questions, you may always PM me too btw ^^

Anyways, hope this helped and good luck to drawing your fursona :)
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »
As an admin, I do have to ask you to please take a minute to read over the forum rules if you still haven't yet. By being a member of the forum, it is your responsibility to read and follow them.

A lot of furries struggle with the fandom's reputation and knowing how to show your furry side to other people in real life, but we have a lot of resources around here for this type of situation.

I would advise starting with the What is a furry? thread. Although it doesn't cover everything, it contains the basic definitions and questions that people like your mom might want to know or ask about, as well as a helpful documentary that you could show them if you want.

Second, we have a thread here that is specifically all about telling people about furries. Some people don't feel the need to share their interests in the fandom, some do, and there are many stories in there from people who have been in both of those situations.

As for having a drawing of your fursona, you can learn to draw it yourself (as Ventus said) by using tutorials and practice, or you can pay an artist to draw it for you, or you might even be able to get a free drawing by simply making a request to an artist. We have a board where you can make art requests, found here. But if you just want some furry art to show to your mother, it doesn't necessarily have to be YOUR fursona for her to understand it. There is plenty of clean furry art out there, and it will still get your point across.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Friday

• Eager Elephant
  • Such fearful symmetry.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Otter!
  • Coloring: Brown fur, cream chest oval. Blue eyes.
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 155
  • Build: Fit, leanish build. Almost always smiling.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »
As this forum's moderator, I'm going to second what WingedZephyr said about reading the rules. You haven't broken any rules, but you do need to read them so you don't in the future. They're not long, don't worry.

Second, you don't have to tell your mother anything about your interests. Or anyone else, for that matter. 'Furry' is what you want it to be. For some, it's an identity, a way of defining themselves (I lean towards this). For others, it's a hobby, a creative social scene they enjoy being a part of. For a lot of people, it's a label for some pieces of art. And there are many other ways people use the word and interact with the communities that use it.

The way I see it, you don't really need to make a point to go up to your mother and say, "I think anthropomorphic animals are cool," which is, in the end, what being a furry is about. I'd say just live your life, and if it comes up, it comes up. If it doesn't, no big deal. Personally, the people I've told about my interest I've told when I either: Know they may see me on a furry site and don't want them to get the wrong idea (for example, my roommate and good friend), or when my interest holds some relevance to them (for example, my sister, who's reading a furry story I wrote and am hoping to publish).

It's also ok to not use the word 'furry' when explaining your interest if you feel it will give the wrong impression to whoever you're explaining it to.

That's my way of seeing things, but lots of different people have lots of different views, and your situation is unique, so before you follow anyone's advice, I'd recommend making sure it makes sense for you :)
In what distant deeps or skies burnt the fire of thine eyes?

We are not like Lot's wife, you and I; we feel no particular need to turn back. There's nothing to be seen if we did.

"To be able to employ language to evoke emotions in others is a tremendous skill."
-Fall-From-Grace

Avatar by the awesomest Vent Kazemaru! (http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ventkazemaru/)

Offline Wolvi

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 02:09:10 AM »
Thank you all so much. You helped so much. I will of course read the rules :)