Author Topic: Forum size poll (kind of)  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Forum size poll (kind of)
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:15:46 PM »
Hey guys. (Gals.)
So I see that this forum is kind of active. And it's weird for me to be on an active forum.
I am a part of another forum which has a few common users. I have created the most popular thread on the forum which has over 60 pages more than any other non-locked thread and it gets only a few posts a day if any.
So I'm used to forums being kind of slow. I like it that way really.
So my question is: do you prefer a fast moving and active forum or a slower one with less people?

I produce electronic music. I'm not amazing but i have fun doing it

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Re: Forum size poll (kind of)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 06:26:28 PM »
I like something in between. Small enough where ya'll know each other, big enough to have constant activity.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 10 Topic Starter
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:18:46 PM »
I consider this forum to be that in-between
not too active, but active enough
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Buna

• Foxy Fox
  • mreh
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat dood
  • Coloring: blue eyes, white/grey/black fur
  • Height: 5'10"
  • Weight: 142lbs
  • Build: muscles n stuff
  • Currently: investing in fake internet money
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:54:31 PM »
Yay cactus
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »
I like to merge with others, even though forums aren't particularly the best way of doing that x3 so I like forums to be active. I am on a few larger forums but I find it hard to cater for everyone, I'm always worried about putting the wrong thing and upsetting someone. I also like to connect and I find overly large forums a bit too passive and it takes too much effort for me, considering I can't stand being away from those who have needs and my very own tasks. I'm quite shy though, but in the sense I'm shy to the whole furry concept, being a therian kind of creates a timidity in me like I feel I could be misunderstood as just wanting to RP and stuff, I don't know, I'm kind of strange in that respect x3 I have esteem/rejection issues, too and I don't like it when the world is racing around me too much being someone who wants to fulfil duties, etc.

This forum is just the right size, though. It can be distracting sometimes but I think you're nice and I like to see people just get on.

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:26 AM »
I like to merge with others, even though forums aren't particularly the best way of doing that x3 so I like forums to be active. I am on a few larger forums but I find it hard to cater for everyone, I'm always worried about putting the wrong thing and upsetting someone. I also like to connect and I find overly large forums a bit too passive and it takes too much effort for me, considering I can't stand being away from those who have needs and my very own tasks. I'm quite shy though, but in the sense I'm shy to the whole furry concept, being a therian kind of creates a timidity in me like I feel I could be misunderstood as just wanting to RP and stuff, I don't know, I'm kind of strange in that respect x3 I have esteem/rejection issues, too and I don't like it when the world is racing around me too much being someone who wants to fulfil duties, etc.

This forum is just the right size, though. It can be distracting sometimes but I think you're nice and I like to see people just get on.

Im really not sure I can help you on being shy and having self esteem issues, but when you said that, it really reminded me of the character Fluttershy from mlp. I'm not really sure if you have ever seen it, but that pretty much exactly describes fluttershy.
There are times where she has to overcome being shy and having low self esteem by being assertive and firm in her tone. This is a struggle for her pretty hard core.
If you have not seen it already, look up Mlp: Fim season 2 episode 19 "putting your hoof down"
it might be amusing for you as it may seem relatable.

Offline Kozy

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox :3
  • Coloring: Milk chocolate w/ darker tips, spring green eyes, lighter creamish bib and belly
  • Build: Chibi / slim quadrupedal
  • Currently: Shy / Lonely
Forum size poll (kind of)
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:14:44 AM »
@Bronies are cool:
I'm not shy around everyone, it's more like a self-defence, like I don't want others to get into my inner world too quickly in fear of being judged and rejected. I guess you could say my mind is shy but my love is not in a sense. I talk friendly, may seem a bit aloof though because I tend to have my mind on things. I have a deep internal understanding of the world and my role in it which may make certain people see was as philosophically unusual or rigid. I feel the need to explain myself to others in order for them to know the real me, but it's too deep, I am better to know over time but the issue is so many want to know me instantly and expect me to be like them and reject me in time realising I may be am not. Internally I'm very different from the external me, I'm actually more warmer inside (good intentions) while aloof and shy outside this is also the case visually hence I'm camera shy, too. Another issue is. I don't like being in the limelight but I can talk others' head off which is embarrassing, people mistake it for narcissism when all I really just have a hard time explaining myself and be understand.

I'm not very good at being assertive, by the way, unless someone gets in the way of my task and I'm like "do you mind?" sometimes, kind of passive-aggressive lol

By the way, I saw quite a few episodes but I didn't find the show mentally challenging enough I guess, but that's good I like that it tries to teach people valuable life lessons but I almost like to sort of do it alone. And as for cartoons, well I'm more into flowy rhythmic stuff like in the classic cartoons, I like to have a dynamically impacting visual experience I guess which flash and similar techniques isn't so good at. Nice show, I love the characters, just not for me.

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:38:43 AM »
@Kozy
I can understand you about not wanting other people to know you right away, and I respect that. I actually think that may be a good quality.
I can say that I am kind of similar. I dont let people know me uunless they have known me for a while. I dont tell people everything about me because its none of their business. I rarely tell people irl that im a brony. and i dont plaan on telling people that i participate on a brony and furry forum.

i would like to comment that I like that you can see the issues in yourself.a good number of times people dont even see the issues that they have with themselves. I think you have some cool points for being able to admit them openly.

Finally, I know that I should not tell people to watch mlp, but its my only actual obsession.
I know exactly where you are comiong from when saying that its not realy your kind of show for not being mentally challenging enough and the lack of flowly rythmic stuff. (about to dump some information real quick. please dont judge me) The fiurst season of the show mlp was created with the intentions of having an audience of mostly only little girls. I am assuming that you probably watched the first season episodes because who watches tv shows out of orer? Ever since the creators and makers of the show discovered the adult audince of the show (which was pretty much right away), they made it more advanced and increasingly more towards an older audience (ofcourse still while being under the "child show" belt)
So, season 2 was a bit more adulty and season 3 was even more so than season 2 and then season 4 was the most adult and brony oriented yet. And the animation and story telling has gotten increasing more complex and funny as the series continues.
anyway, I'll get off my little soap box. i think im geeking a little bit much considering this thread is not even about ponies but instead about forum sizes. I would just like to conclude that the show is different now almost completly as it was when it first started. Its funnier, more relatable, less cheesy, and more for the pop cultured person that most internet users are. I might recomend giving it a try again watching a more recent season. idk, you dont have to. i cant force you to and really i wont. i probabl wont really bring it up to you again unless ofcourse you seem ok with it. heck, if you like the characters, that would make me wanna keep watching it. but thats just me.

anyway.........i ranted a little more than i intended. oh well. I guess I dont actually talk about mlp much, even on the mlp forum i use. which is a lot smaller than this forum. (im just trying to get back on topic now.)

I see that this forum really as large as i originally thought it was, but its still larger than my other forum. I think I'll like the size of this forum quite a bit because then people will actually respond to my threads and I'll have a larger audience to speak to.

I might just consider myself the brony diplomat from mlr (code name for the other forum I use.)(mylittleremix.com) sorry if im not supposed to type that website in there. im just putting that in case anyone was wondering what forum i continuously reference.

Offline Kittie

• Boisterous Bear
  • I'm a daydreamer making dreams real
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Silver dapple also known as Chocolate
  • Height: 14hh or 4 feet 8 inches
  • Weight: It's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs LOL
  • Build: Pony like, a little stocky
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:46:24 AM »
I like it here because there are lots of places that can be a bit "smaller" so you can get to know a little niche group but you still feel like a larger more whole community. I prefer smaller, closer knit forums but this forum while not quite like that has so many nice little places that you feel safe exploring and reaching out to a set of people because you know others like you will also explore the same areas... I guess I should probably explain that better... I like to hover (see what I did there?  XP ) in and around a couple of fun RP threads because well they are fun to play and RPing is a fun way to get to know others... even if you are pretending to be one thing your real personality will eventually come out. So those little Fun rp threads kind of become like little small forums and the chats do too. So it never feels too big here so long as you find and stay active with a few nice furs and there are plenty of them!
  • Avatar by: Art by Greyflower on DA, me and Blossom on EV
The one, the only... chocolate colored Pegasus!

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:53:59 AM »
I like it here because there are lots of places that can be a bit "smaller" so you can get to know a little niche group but you still feel like a larger more whole community. I prefer smaller, closer knit forums but this forum while not quite like that has so many nice little places that you feel safe exploring and reaching out to a set of people because you know others like you will also explore the same areas... I guess I should probably explain that better... I like to hover (see what I did there?  XP ) in and around a couple of fun RP threads because well they are fun to play and RPing is a fun way to get to know others... even if you are pretending to be one thing your real personality will eventually come out. So those little Fun rp threads kind of become like little small forums and the chats do too. So it never feels too big here so long as you find and stay active with a few nice furs and there are plenty of them!
I have never participated in an RP thread or forum or group or anything like it really. It sounds a little bit fun honestly, but I doubt I would commit to RPing.

(also, again i must comment on how it great to see another mlp enthusiast here. it just makes me happy and I am totally digging your OC right now. its cute :3

Offline Kittie

• Boisterous Bear
  • I'm a daydreamer making dreams real
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Pegasus
  • Coloring: Silver dapple also known as Chocolate
  • Height: 14hh or 4 feet 8 inches
  • Weight: It's rude to ask a lady how much she weighs LOL
  • Build: Pony like, a little stocky
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:59:41 AM »
Thankies ^.^ she is a a very meaningfully designed vision of my self. I'm not really a serious Role Player... I like to play around on *free hugs* and umm not sure what the other one is called  XP but just like lighthearted *Hugs you* kind of stuff. Oh yea I hang in the Furry Cafe a little too!
  • Avatar by: Art by Greyflower on DA, me and Blossom on EV
The one, the only... chocolate colored Pegasus!

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:55 AM »
this forum is great size for me (its also my first ever forum) and just the stuff u can do on here is great for me
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 05:07:44 AM »
Thankies ^.^ she is a a very meaningfully designed vision of my self. I'm not really a serious Role Player... I like to play around on *free hugs* and umm not sure what the other one is called  XP but just like lighthearted *Hugs you* kind of stuff. Oh yea I hang in the Furry Cafe a little too!
thats cool. I might check it out but idk. I dont think ill ever be big on the RP scene, but I might check it out partially because I like your OC a lot. lol Its really a lot cuter than most OCs that I see. And I tend to follow my crowd too. Like, im a brony and so are you. If I see you going to one area a lot, I'll probably end up checking it out. (im actually not a furry) so when I say following my crowd, really bronies are the only people on this site that I will be easily identifiable with. Im not even suure if I am making sense right now because I am so tired.

Post Merge: August 25, 2014, 05:10:39 AM
this forum is great size for me (its also my first ever forum) and just the stuff u can do on here is great for me
I think its great to go and try out a few forums.
This is probably my 5th forum. I only have actively participated in one really though. I was actually really active in 2. but im only active in one now. (2 if I include this one but it might be too soon to say that im active here.)
both forums that i was/am very active in were quite small. I was even a mod on one of them and it was easy because it was so small that nobody misbehaved.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 05:10:39 AM by Bronies are cool, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

Offline saph the sergal

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • a derpy sergal
    • Awards
  • Species: aussie sergal
  • Coloring: black and purple
  • Height: 6 feet
  • Weight: 50 kilograms
  • Build: in shape
  • Currently: hello darkness my old friend
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 05:12:18 AM »

thats cool. I might check it out but idk. I dont think ill ever be big on the RP scene, but I might check it out partially because I like your OC a lot. lol Its really a lot cuter than most OCs that I see. And I tend to follow my crowd too. Like, im a brony and so are you. If I see you going to one area a lot, I'll probably end up checking it out. (im actually not a furry) so when I say following my crowd, really bronies are the only people on this site that I will be easily identifiable with. Im not even suure if I am making sense right now because I am so tired.

i get what you mean and the furry cafe is just some fun rp i hide there alot (you shall not spot me unless i come out of hiding) because its just something to do really there have been fights there friends made there hell there was even a little love story in there aswell
on land line is a inanimate object under water it has a life of its own

i have a very dry sense of humor be careful around me :D

Offline Bronies are cool

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 05:14:16 AM »

i get what you mean and the furry cafe is just some fun rp i hide there alot (you shall not spot me unless i come out of hiding) because its just something to do really there have been fights there friends made there hell there was even a little love story in there aswell
I love love stories.
well, not really
I like fan fiction more
but yea, still gotta check it out some time