Author Topic: Who aaaare you?  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Who aaaare you?
« on: July 08, 2009, 03:33:47 AM »
Forgive the huge racial colour brush smeared across the poll for a moment and ask yourself this question. Who are furries?

I recently read a speech made about social networking sites and the use of them in interacting with the wider world. It took the example of Facebook vs Myspace in the USA and how they had unconsciously been defined by class, race and age.

Now I'm not saying anything about the furry community, but i would like to see what comes out of this little experiment.

Obviously this is hardly scientific. Taking data from only one site which has people from different countries, different societies, while also painting people as White, Black, Yellow, Brown and Other when the difference between a white brit, a white bulgarian and a white turk is quite clear.

But you cant plan for every factor, and I'm not willing to put in the work. Maybe someone else is, but I'm not that guy.

What I'm hoping is that these fursonas are what influences who we are more than anything else, but who knows?

Oh and if you want to read that Facebook vs Myspace thing, i'm linking it, but beware, it's long and the presentation is the very essence of bare bones.

http://www.danah.org/papers/talks/PDF2009.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:49:11 PM by AsiaBunny »
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Manual_automation

• Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster
  • Artwork is © Kalaharifox on DA (I did photo edit)
    • Awards
  • Species: Alaskan malamute
  • Coloring: light to dark grey with black on back and top of head, white underside (and lower head)
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: ~230lbs
  • Build: Fit
Re: Who aaaare you?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 04:11:01 AM »
I like what you're doing here, bravo =P

(If you want to gather additional info just ask lol)

"Fight fore hope and it is eternal, stop fighting, and it was never there." ^Happy to meet ya'^
~Andrew H.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »

Wow I didnt expect this to be so lopsided... I wouldnt even call it lopsided, it's focused as if it's a rule that furries are white middle class, with one exception.

Hopefully that will change.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 02:29:39 PM by AsiaBunny »
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:30:07 PM »
Neat idea. Although something like this has been done in the past. (not on the forums though)
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:29:33 PM »
Yeah I just checked the Furry Survey out just now and it seemed to go along lines i expected. strong white male presence focused heavily on image and creativity. Theres lots of support to other furries, and ofcourse the sex element means almost nothing to the furry fandom. It's a part of it but it is far from important.

As for this forum survey, more and more leaning to the white middle class. It's very interesting.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 12:11:23 PM »
more and more white middle and upper class people. I'm really quite saddened by this. Not by the white extreme, since that's to be expected considering this is an english speaking site, but because of the class trends. I definitely expected more lower class people

• Scented Skunk
    • Awards
  • Coloring: light to dark grey with black on back and top of head, white underside (and lower head)
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
Well you gotta remember, most people are putting what their FAMILY'S class is, not theirs, I know for a fact I'm poor as dirt on my own, but my dad makes 90K a rear

"Fight fore hope and it is eternal, stop fighting, and it was never there." ^Happy to meet ya'^
~Andrew H.

Offline ¿ Jesse Pawman ?

• SILENCE! I BAN YOU!
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Top 100 Most Online This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 10 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter
  • purrrrrrr...... here, have a cowlick :3
    • My blog.
    • Awards
  • Species: human
  • Height: six foot one inch
  • Build: round
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
 but my dad makes 90K a rear

A Rear? that's funny. =3
MySpace

"when life gives you lemons, make apple juice and have the whole world wonder how you did it."- unknown

I HAVE TO CONSTANTLY REMIND MYSELF I'M A GROWNUP AND IT'S JUST THE INTERNET.

• Scented Skunk
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 09:36:32 PM »
AHAHAHAH!!! oh man, how'd I miss by 2 keys XP ah well, sure, he makes 90 grand per butt lol

~Andrew H.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »
True. I did my family's class (although, for younger people who can't work, they should put their family's class), I'd actually be white lower class if I was going by my so-called "earnings".

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
Well it would make more sense to put the class that you grew up in, since being a furry is most likely a bi-product of upbringing.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 12:45:08 AM »
Well it doesnt look like any more people are going to be voting, so the results of my survey show that the furry fandom is a high class white society and that this site is completely and utterly white aside from me.

maybe this high class thing is why some furries over-exaggerate the oppression against us. It's because high class white people get very little persecution in general. But then this is from the opinion of a low class asian muslim. Thank God I'm not gay, I've already got enough to deal with
:P

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 12:47:29 AM »
It's not quite as lopsided as you think. I know for a fact there's more diversity than that here. People just don't vote. :P

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 01:11:18 AM »
yeah i know, but they didnt vote so they dont count. but either way, unless there is a massive difference in the actual members of this site, the lopsidedness is substantial.

Offline SnowWolf

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey/white
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
Wow, Alot of White middle class have submited their votes?

I guess i come under that classification, either that or upper class?*shudders*  :S