Author Topic: Luke's Folly  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampyric Wolf-lion
  • Coloring: Pure white with blue streaks on the chest and back.
  • Height: 6'10"
  • Weight: 140
  • Build: Thin, but strong.
  • Currently: Meh.....been better. But in love. ^^
Luke's Folly
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:34:12 AM »
Hey, guys! This is my first chapter here, so please comment!

[attachment deleted by admin]
  • Avatar by: Ventus Fall (THANK YOUS!!! :3 )
"Normal" is a word for something that doesn't exisit. It was created by those who don't challenge the status quo, and don't aspire to greatness.
Happiness is the way the Universe rewards those who face the hardships in their lives head on, with determination in their hearts.
Love is what binds us all together, what keeps us sane, makes us insane, holds the world and Universe together.
In my mind, it doesn't matter where you are going, where you've been, where you are, nor even the journey you're on. What matters is that you keep moving, no matter where you're going, where you've been, and where you are. Just keep moving.
I am White-Heart, white because it is every colour put into one, my heart is of all colours!

Offline Luggz

• aka Radge
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Most Online
  • Just your local friendly macro pink fox.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: fox
  • Coloring: pink and white with black ears and paws
  • Height: No idea, I've never stood still long enough to be surveyed
  • Weight: Not sure, the truck scales broke before we could get a reading
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: Macro fagging it up
Re: Luke's Folly
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 02:47:39 AM »
I'm enjoying reading it so far, it's an interesting concept and I'm looking forward to see where you take it
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:49:57 AM by luggz »
"Here for a good time, not a long time" Colin McRae

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 02:48:55 AM »
Thanks, luggz! ^_^
"Normal" is a word for something that doesn't exisit. It was created by those who don't challenge the status quo, and don't aspire to greatness.
Happiness is the way the Universe rewards those who face the hardships in their lives head on, with determination in their hearts.
Love is what binds us all together, what keeps us sane, makes us insane, holds the world and Universe together.
In my mind, it doesn't matter where you are going, where you've been, where you are, nor even the journey you're on. What matters is that you keep moving, no matter where you're going, where you've been, and where you are. Just keep moving.
I am White-Heart, white because it is every colour put into one, my heart is of all colours!

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Bibliophilic Philosopher
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • How can you expect to win if you don't play?
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Timber Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey and white.
  • Height: 6' 4''
  • Weight: 180 lbs
  • Build: Lithe and strong
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: No longer a member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 03:03:28 AM »
By request, so have I read...

White-Heart, it's certainly an interesting story. In the manner of first chapters, it's chock-full of good information, interesting characters, and a good introduction into the world you created. I can feel the emotion of the characters (especially the little one across the corridor) and almost see some of the reactions of some of the characters.

There is definitely some room for rewrites and editing, but that's to be expected. What I would focus on is your speed. Everything happens very fast in your story. Try to space it out just a bit more. The conversations seem rushed. If you need inspiration for the spacing, look no further than your own flash backs. Those were built magnificently. Introspection was definitely given it's time in those passages.

All in all, very good read.
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 06:35:35 PM »
Aww! Such sweet things you say! Thanks, man! ^_^

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
I haven't posted here in forever, and i know you're all RIVETED to see chapter 2, so here it is with Chapter 1 revised. Enjoy!

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
I have tried to read your Ch. 2 addition with the edits and I am unable to open it. Any chance of a repost?
  • Signature art by: Puncia and Grisli (using art from Winged Zephyr) respectively

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 06:50:07 PM »
I've tried a couple times....it's not working. Tommorrow, i'll try it again. If that doesn't work, i guess i'll post it in incraments.

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 06:35:15 PM »
Okay, try this. I may have fixed the problem. If not, let me know asap.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 07:02:36 PM »
It is still not working. I'm receiving a 503 error message.

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 10:54:49 PM »
Frakk. Okay, I'll post it in individual parts in a couple days. Probably won't have access to a computer until then.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:51:39 PM by Luke White-Heart »

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
I think the problem's fixed...i'm not sure though. Check the above posted link. ^

Offline Beatnory

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • I dream a lot (thinking) and I make dreams (games)
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Dreamfox
  • Currently: be nice and you will have great dreams!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »
I already said it but I will say it again. this story is great. you should read it.

Offline Otebon Albrecht

• Racious Racoon
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
You have quite a marvelous story-telling voice Luke. I find myself entranced by your "dream sequences" (although I guess they would technically be flashbacks) and greatly enjoy the use of multiple characters with seemingly extreme depth in juxtaposition to others that seem to be only foils.

Your history and philosophy are very interesting to read. They bring the reader to the edge of their seat as they wish to learn more of why all this is occurring, what led to the rise of the "Humanist" movement, and why facilities like the one portrayed are even allowed (or perhaps they are not and its very existence is a "dirty little secret"). Your dialogue is still wonderful and very flavorful. The diction and syntax modifies for each person so that it's not only easy, but natural to imagine a different voice for each character (for example, it may be me, but I imagined Benjamin [the Alpha] to have a deep, confident voice that rang with easy strength).

Having said that, I still think you are moving too fast. Within the space of two paragraphs Luke was taken from his cell and deep into a medical procedure. Now, that may be purposeful to show the reader how fast it is, but you skip a lot of details when you move that quickly that can emphasize the fear and suspicion that is paramount in that situation.

Overall, this is a great work. Two thumbs up.

Offline Luke White-Heart

• Gregarious Gnu
  • !DREIW EB
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 09:57:36 PM »
Thank you, Otebon. And Beatnory.  ^_^  Looking at it, you're right, Otebon. I could slow down a bit. But thank you so much for you're feedback.  :3  I had no idea that i could do that with dialouge. I will take your advice and kind words to heart.  :)  Coming soon: CHAPTER 3!  X3