Author Topic: writing story, need criticism  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Graystripe77

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm not random. You lemon.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Hyena
  • Coloring: Various grays
  • Height: 6' 2"
  • Weight: 150 lbs.
  • Build: Pretty skinny.
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: thinking
writing story, need criticism
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:22:36 AM »
This is a fanfiction of Dreamkeepers by David Lillie. This is the first thing I've ever written, so it's not gonna be all that great.

Here goes:

Isaac woke up in his room, light shining through the cracked window. As he stretched his arms, he noticed the green stain on the ceiling. His room was very old, the wallpaper peeling, and was much too small to accommodate him, not to mention the lack of a bed. “At least I have a place to stay,” he thought retroactively. “It's better than nothing.” Isaac glanced at the clock. Having realized he was already late, Isaac yelled,“Thane, why didn't you wake me up?” The house was silent for a brief moment. “It's Saturday, Isaac. Go back to bed,” Thane's mother responded. A brief moment passed, and the house was silent again as he slowly fell back into the gentle embrace of sleep.
    It could be better, then again it could be worse, but at least he had a family to give him a place to stay in times like these. They weren't his blood relatives, but they were as much as he would ever have. After four long years of brutal abuse, Isaac had ran away when he was nine, moving in with his best friend Thane and their family. Things were tough, but they always managed.
    Ever since the return of Nightmares to Anduruna though, a lot has been going on. There has been talk of rebellion. The government has gone corrupt, their authority has been questioned, not to mention all the riots that have broken out in the streets. New groups have risen up, all trying to take control, to seize power. People have disappeared, and panic has run wildly throughout the districts.
Please, tell me what you think. Any questions/comments/criticisms are welcome.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:38:54 PM by Graystripe77 »
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: writing story, need criticism
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
getting there. keep it up :D
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
Well, it's a little short, and already it seems like a Gary Sue situation, but maybe you aren't quite finished yet? At least, I hope this isn't it.

Dialogue for each character should start on a separate line. His mother's response should be a new paragraph.

The writing itself is fine however. :3 Keep going.
x

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:24:09 AM »
I can see quite an interesting story and sad story coming up with this. You also have a good habit of showing the reader about the characteristics of an object and you seem to show events really quickly but still have a nice flow to them.

HOWEVER, because you claim you need it, here is my criticism.

The formatting right now is my biggest concern, it's customary to have quotation marks for speech on a completely separate line, rather than in a big bunched up paragraph you have, for me it made it hard to read.

Other than that the writing style is pretty good, that's the only criticism I can come up with I'm afraid, if you write more I'll be sure to comment if required XD
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";