Author Topic: Gauging interest in a Furry RPG  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Fajita Jim

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Rattus norvegicus
  • Currently: Creating worlds
Gauging interest in a Furry RPG
« on: December 22, 2013, 01:13:22 AM »
Oh, gosh...I hope I'm doing this on the right board. I thought about dropping this into the request board but it's really not.

Umm...hi, I'm Fajita Jim and I am sad that there are no good furry RPGs. And I mean video games. So, I've decided I would like to make one.

Earlier this year I picked up RPG Maker VX Ace and set about fooling around with it, and I think I've pretty much got it figured out. The world-building and scripting aren't that difficult, just a little time-consuming. Parallax mapping can be a pain but I can do it. All-in-all I'm pretty confident that I can tackle any build/script issues that come up.

What I CAN'T do is draw, so I've been using the standard sprites and art that came with the software to learn my way about. Now that I've figured out the software, I'm really not liking the standard sprite sets (even aside from the fact that the character art is all human).

I've spent a few months bouncing around the net looking for the best place to possibly find some people who would be interested in joining me to make this a reality, and this seems the most active and friendly furry site I've ran across. So....

*Deep breath*

I  need help. I need sprite art, character art, object art, background art....the whole 9 yards. And I don't want just your art...if you're interested in joining this endeavor I want you in from beginning to end. There is NOTHING set about this game yet...setting, story, characters...I'm wanting an ensemble effort here. All positions are currently open, from art, music, story-boarding and I'd even accept help with the scripting and world-building (and if someone was interested and committed enough on this part I'd even drop the cash to provide them a copy of the RPG Maker software).

Whether this will become a free release or a for-profit enterprise is also still up in the air...once a team is assembled all such decisions will be made by the whole team, and not just one or two of us.

As the title suggest, ATM I'm just gauging interest on whether to even move forward...so don't submit your applications just yet. But do let me know if you'd be interested in helping, keeping in mind this will be a long-term project.  If there IS an interest, I'll go into more detail about both the project details and the requirements of the software (sprite size, animation frames, etc.)

Below I've added a few sceenshots of the world I was building as I learned the software. If there's an interest I can even post the .exe for you to poke around the world a bit to get an idea of what we're working with (edit: Download it here 200MB (see notes on second post below): http://depositfiles.com/files/xym3q69xb).

Thanks for listening. Here's hoping.  :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:51:40 AM by Fajita Jim »

Offline William Dynwood

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Oh believe me, I'm still alive
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey
  • Height: 5' 11" (180 CM)
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: slightly muscular, lean, agile and strong
  • Currently: Statusses are as statussy as statusses can probably get
Re: Gauging interest in a Furry RPG
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 03:51:27 AM »
Nice! I always wanted to make an RPG myself one day. You are using RPG maker aren't you?

Post Merge: December 22, 2013, 03:58:32 AM
I should have read some more :S
And I would love to help with hiarchy of the landscape and such, Also, would it be a nice idea to include some of the forum members as characters in the game (with their permission of course).

I've had a Drawing of a world map ready for almost 3 years now, and didn't know what to do with it, so if you want my help, I'd be glad to join you.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:58:32 AM by Zehn, Reason: Merged DoublePost »
One does not simply click here

Liquicity Amsterdam, Here I come

Offline Fajita Jim

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Rattus norvegicus
  • Currently: Creating worlds
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 04:24:01 AM »
@Zehn

I'm really, really picky about my world maps. So much so I even dropped a veiled reference to it in the pub.

As you can see in the map in my first post, I've followed all the rules: air dumps moisture west of mountains, is dry east of them (with the exception of the tower valley in the SW but...magic). That mountain range would have continued on the main continent had I ever developed that far, etc.

If you're versed in how geographical areas develop, continental drift, uplifting and subduction, etc., I'd be happy to have help laying out the world. But there are also considerations such as how many 'events' are going to be in a particular area that also plays a role on how big any given map can be (dividing the map into 'counties' or 'fiefdoms' as separate maps is probably the best approach) and so on. The less events in a map, the bigger it can be. And this needs to be thought about as the landscape is designed.

That being so, we're going to have to have a good idea of the story flow before the first patch of land is laid down. I can replace the art files as they come in, so I'm not concerned about necessarily having those first.

And while I don't mind forum characters showing up, their backgrounds and abilities will obviously be molded to the world and not vice versa.

But yes...if I can get enough people to get this off the ground I'd love to have some help with world design, all the above considered.

Also, you can download the file (200MB) here:  http://depositfiles.com/files/xym3q69xb

A few things to keep in mind: I removed the monsters a while back because they were just getting in my way playtesting, so there's not much to do but run around, look at things and talk to people. There are dead ends in both map areas and conversations where I never fully completed that particular aspect.  I built this just to familiarize myself with the software, but there's a few little tricks to find where I was playing around with what's possible.

So this is just an exposition of what can be done with it, don't expect a game because it's not. But if you want to pick up what little story I did put in it, go to Hummarrah and all the way to the right enter the Inn and talk to the guy behind the desk. You'll be able to name your character and get a grip on what's up there.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 05:20:30 AM by Fajita Jim »

Offline Mister Owlman

• Vibrating Furby
  • Smarty-Pants Owl
    • Awards
  • Species: Owl
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Hey Fajita Jim,

I'm not sure if you are still monitoring this thread, but I agree that it is a shame that there are no good furry rpgs. I would like to hear more about the game that you are designing. How does being a furry play into it? Is it like most RPGs, but the characters just look like furries? Or does the choice of a species affect game play (like choosing an Orc or a Halfling in Dungeons and Dragons)?

Anyways, I'm no artist, but I have done some graphic design work and I would be interested in helping out with pixel art, landscapes, grid art, etc.

Let me know how the project is progressing. I hope you are able to create the first great furry RPG!

Mr Owlman

« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:18:39 PM by Mister Owlman »