Author Topic: PS4 announced, thoughts/opinions?  (Read 1939 times)

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • May the FURS be with you!
    • Awards
  • Species: Mostly wolf, part dragon
  • Coloring: Dark and light gray, with black streaks and dark blue extremities.
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 200 lbs
  • Build: Long and lanky, muscular but not bulging.
  • Currently: PC gaming... FINALLY!!
PS4 announced, thoughts/opinions?
« on: February 22, 2013, 09:08:51 PM »
As almost every gamer should know at this point, the PS4 was announced a couple days ago along with descriptions on a whole bunch of its features. Here are some things I've noted:

-It seems pretty powerful, but obviously can't really compare with high end gaming PCs even now.
-The new controller looks promising, although why the touch pad is on the front is a bit of a mystery, it would be better on the back I'd think.
-I like a lot of the social and connectivity features it has, but it almost seems creepy that someone can essentially take over your game for you remotely, and especially that it will predict content downloads for you before you decide to get them.
-The fact that it won't block used games is a good thing I think, though how much it might deter developers from developing for it, especially if the next XBOX does block them, is yet to be seen.
-No backwards compatibility is a let down, though it may have been necessary to keep the cost reasonable, and the fact that many previous playstation games will be available on the cloud is definitely a plus.

So what does everyone think about it so far? Are you impressed? Indifferent? Totally pissed?

~*Airforce Fleet commander*~
We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Come raise your lantern to the sky
And let's illuminate this night
We'll dance like heathens
Around the flames
And while the world sleeps
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
Re: PS4 announced, thoughts/opinions?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:46:52 PM »
Indifferent, I've given many wall-of-text reason elsewhere online. Summary: The initial costs of owning a PS4, which is about $1100 makes me immediately wonder, what is the point of such payment if a PC alternative is cheaper? The used games working is simply because 60% of people polled immediately said "I would not buy a PS4.". Next question I ask is, what does this console have going for it these days. Sequels, Gaikai trials and downloading games over the server? Downloading a 40GB game does NOT sound pleasant.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
To my knowledge no official pricing info has been announced yet. Do you have a source for that or is it more of an assumption?

Around the flames
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »
Assuming PS4 costs $600, plus tax ($55 or so). Two games, which supposedly will now cost $70 each ($140), plus tax ($12), 1TB hard drive addition, $80-$100 (tax $7-$9), One extra controller $60 ($5 tax). Any other controller types/accessories ($50+) No thank you.

Gaikai's addition to PS4 was part of the press conference where trials are not downloaded, only streamed (So If you have sub-par broadband, good luck with nice speed), Blu-rays are typically 40GB in size, so since Metal Gear Solid 4 was more than 1 Disc, just imagine the hellish download (Competing with others as well? Even slower).
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:31 AM »
Yeah, that's one of the concerns that I have with everything being download/stream based. I mean I have a pretty decent speed so it wouldn't be too bad for me, but it's not realistic to expect that everyone has anything like that. And $70 games? I hadn't heard that, but I don't like the sound of it  o.O

Around the flames
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline KittKat chunky~

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • 100% chocolate-wafer feline!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx / Wildcat
  • Coloring: Dappled brown-grey and white
  • Height: 5' 7" ish
  • Build: Chunkeh
  • Currently: Nom!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 01:17:06 AM »
Fairly lengthy, but a good watch if you like TotalBiscuit and he gives what I think is a good overview of the PS4 as well as some interesting opinions/thoughts:

Content Patch - February 22nd, 2013 - Ep. 051 [PS4 tech specs, old games support, 4K]

Obviously I assume most of the people who would post here already know a good deal and have their own opinions, but thought I might as well link that anyway  :)
  • Avatar by: Avatar art drawn by me
100% chocolate-wafer feline!

"The Slovak optimist is learning English, the Slovak pesimist is learning Russian and the Slovak realist is learning to shoot an AK-47"

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 02:20:14 AM »
Haha, I'm actually a huge TB fan and I've already watched that  XD  But yes it is an excellent video if you haven't yet heard a lot of the information!  :)

Around the flames
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Forever_Autumn

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Oh, Hello there...
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Android Wolf-husky
  • Coloring: Auburn with a brown muzzle, grey tail and grey ear tips
  • Height: 5' 10½"
  • Weight: 10-12 Stone
  • Build: A few loose screws and... Oh wait, You meant shape... Urm... Athletic?
  • Currently: Need caffine! (Yes, some androids do run on caffine!)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
Not that I'm a fanboy but I'd rather stick to my Xbox 360, PC, Xbox Classic, PS2 and PC than get a PS4. It's priced at a stupidly high price and the second hand games thing has not been revealed yet. While I do like how they keep everything in the PS3 style (The controller and dashboard from what I've seen), I feel that they are trying to appeal to Xbox gamers aswell as PS3 gamers and they seem to me to be trying too hard. If they bring the price down to a reasonable level and said that they'd allow 2nd, 3rd and 4th hand games then I'd be happy to buy one!
Forever_Autumn (No relation to the song or the book... BWAH!)

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:09:55 PM »
A price has already been leaked, and the PS4 is most likely going to cost less than $500. I'm on my Nook so I can't be bothered to find the link, but that's what I've heard the past week.
And to add to no backwards compatibility, no PSN purchases will transfer over too. To be honest, I'm sure I won't get one, considering I can't even afford a used PS3 right now, but I hope the next gens launch doesn't just include games that only "show off what the console can do." We've already had that problem with Bug Island on the Wii, and other games on the 360 and PS3, so here's to hoping that trend doesn't cross over.

Offline Sly-Meerkat

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:23:01 PM »
I myself cant wait to get it and the new Xbox also..... my 2 main consoles!

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:35 PM »
I hope the next gens launch doesn't just include games that only "show off what the console can do." We've already had that problem with Bug Island on the Wii, and other games on the 360 and PS3, so here's to hoping that trend doesn't cross over.

This. I may or may not be getting it, depending on if my financial and living situations allow for a legitimate gaming PC by then, but I'm sure not gonna get it for a while if it just has a bunch of stupid flashy games for a launch lineup.

Around the flames
WE ARE AWAKE!

Offline Kio

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Canis awesomicus
  • Currently: Being lazy :3
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 12:28:09 AM »
I don't think I really see anything really special about it so I won't be rushing to get it.
I don't like the idea of downloadable games, I can see this is probably to prevent piracy, but for offline-oriented games surely this would just make it easier to do? I mean, the lack of disc-based play restrictions?

<(ಠ_ಠ)> I am an angel, fear me.

Therian/otherkin and furry.

Offline Kite

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • ohai!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Black Fox
  • Coloring: Black, White and Red
  • Height: 5ft 3"
  • Weight: Slightly underweight
  • Build: feminine
  • Currently: EVERYTHING
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Eh...

As excited as I am about where games are going to go graphically, that's... All I really care about. For me, that's all it has going for it. And maybe the social stuff but I've found online has become less social over the years and more of a few people trying to have genuine fun being shouted at by elitists with no aspect of what a "game" is, or whiny 8 year olds who think they're elitists.

If games are heading towards download and stream only, completely getting rid of discs then no thanks. My current internet at Uni has a limit on who much I can use per month. Other people also have this problem, or even no internet at all. Must always be online and must stream? No. Despite everyone being worried over discs being obsolete, it won't happen. Some people like a hard copy and some people simply can't download them. Not to mention you'd have to have a pretty big hard drive to hold them all, which means paying out more on more hard drives. Looking at the record of the current gen, it's pretty poor.

Only reason I'd have for getting next gen consoles is maybe some of the exclusives. But... That's pretty much all I'd buy either of them for. So... Yeah. :/

Consoles are sharply going downhill. The Xbox Live service was once good and is now terrible and the PS4 just doesn't really... feel like that much, other than "LOOK WHAT WE CAN DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

Personally losing interest in games to be honest, and this is coming from a game artist-to-be. Mostly because it's becoming movies that let you decide when the character shoots rather than a game designed for play, where you can sit down with friends, mess about, change the rules up a bit and generally just have fun. I didn't spend £40 to walk down corridors.
Wait, what did I do again?

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 07:06:06 PM »
Eh...

As excited as I am about where games are going to go graphically, that's... All I really care about. For me, that's all it has going for it. And maybe the social stuff but I've found online has become less social over the years and more of a few people trying to have genuine fun being shouted at by elitists with no aspect of what a "game" is, or whiny 8 year olds who think they're elitists.

If games are heading towards download and stream only, completely getting rid of discs then no thanks. My current internet at Uni has a limit on who much I can use per month. Other people also have this problem, or even no internet at all. Must always be online and must stream? No. Despite everyone being worried over discs being obsolete, it won't happen. Some people like a hard copy and some people simply can't download them. Not to mention you'd have to have a pretty big hard drive to hold them all, which means paying out more on more hard drives. Looking at the record of the current gen, it's pretty poor.

Only reason I'd have for getting next gen consoles is maybe some of the exclusives. But... That's pretty much all I'd buy either of them for. So... Yeah. :/

Consoles are sharply going downhill. The Xbox Live service was once good and is now terrible and the PS4 just doesn't really... feel like that much, other than "LOOK WHAT WE CAN DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO".

Personally losing interest in games to be honest, and this is coming from a game artist-to-be. Mostly because it's becoming movies that let you decide when the character shoots rather than a game designed for play, where you can sit down with friends, mess about, change the rules up a bit and generally just have fun. I didn't spend £40 to walk down corridors.

^ this is why i gave up buying halo 4 in favour of luigis mansion 2
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline NovaAurora

• Jovial Jaguar
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »
Eh...

I agree that many mainstream titles are becoming too linear and "CoDified" and it's hurting creativity in the industry. The problem is, people keep buying them, and as long as they sell in the mass millions, developers have no reason to stray from that pattern.

I'm really glad they decided not to require a constant internet connection to play, because as you said many people can't deal with that. Games most definitely are moving towards digital-only, but that's never going to happen completely until reliable access to high speed internet is implemented for the vast majority of the developed world. If manufacturers try to push that to fast, there's going to be a massive problem.

Around the flames
WE ARE AWAKE!