Author Topic: MAG  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
MAG
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:18 AM »
Sony's MAG (Massive Action Game) is coming out sometime in the late summer of this year. With 256 players divided into 8 squads on 1 map, the chaos will definitely be something to look forward to.

PS3 Exclusive trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RadpFEwtTSE

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Re: MAG
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:26:24 AM »
Chaos is about right, honestly I don't really see it working. I've played online games since their conception and if its one thing I've learned that getting 16 players on one team to teamwork in a logical way is next to impossible. (Unless its a clan) Throw in 128 players and you pretty much got the worlds largest collection of rambo wannabes. Problem is most gamers tend to think your kill score means your the best player, often ignoring all objectives all together. If you've ever played Battlefield 2 (A real battlefield not this console crud) then you know kill count is all that matters, not teamwork.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt it.

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:29:25 AM »
Chaos is about right, honestly I don't really see it working. I've played online games since their conception and if its one thing I've learned that getting 16 players on one team to teamwork in a logical way is next to impossible. (Unless its a clan) Throw in 128 players and you pretty much got the worlds largest collection of rambo wannabes. Problem is most gamers tend to think your kill score means your the best player, often ignoring all objectives all together. If you've ever played Battlefield 2 (A real battlefield not this console crud) then you know kill count is all that matters, not teamwork.

I could be wrong but I highly doubt it.

You raise an excellent point. It's hard enough with only 6 ppl per team XD

Offline Octavia

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • Octavia, at your service.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • xShadowx
    • Awards
  • Species: Suricata vulpes
  • Height: 5'6
  • Weight: 130lbs
  • Build: lean
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
I can't see it working out either....

...I wonder how the Lag will be with that many people playing in one lobby

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 10:53:56 PM »
I'm sure the guys at Sony will find some way around it.

Offline Somebody

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:49:17 AM »
256 players on a single server is hardly undoable as MMOs have been doing thousands of players on a server for years. Its not to say they couldn't do a similar thing with mag.

Offline Blackout

• Devious Decepticon
  • Jovial Jaguar
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: MH-53M Pave-Low IV helicopter
  • Coloring: Grey and Black
  • Height: 36 feet
  • Weight: 16 Tons
  • Build: Large and Bulky
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 04:10:26 AM »
This game looks wholly unremarkable and has yet to astound me. The 256 players thing is a huge negative in my book.

It's like someone took Battlefield 2142 ad said "Let's put ten times as many people there!". Reeaaal original.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:50:14 PM »
256 players on a single server is hardly undoable as MMOs have been doing thousands of players on a server for years. Its not to say they couldn't do a similar thing with mag.

The reason 256 players is impressive is because real time combat with so many players is incredibly hard to do. MMOs do not have real time combat (Well, not properly atleast, until APB comes out and blows everyone out of the water, but even then it only supports 100 people per server... or was it 100 for one side, 100 for the other...)
 ???
Anyway, 256 is impressive, it's just that, there's some basic but not major structure to it. Gameplay demonstrations didnt really convey the idea that you would be able to actually SEE the spectacle going on, because everyone is just having their own little bouts.

It does seem very much like BF2 times 5, which isnt necessarily a bad thing (BF2 is an awesome game.) Player count doesnt matter as long as the game is solid...

sadly this isnt looking as solid as BF2. My guess is that it will be about Quake Wars level, which isnt bad at all.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project