Author Topic: Ok so this seems a bit odd  (Read 654 times)

Offline Kindran Ornitier

• The Resident Vampyre Kitteh
  • Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • =^,-,^= Nyah!
    • Fur Affinity
    • Facebook
    • Awards
  • Species: Snake/Cat hybrid
  • Coloring: dark grey scales with electric purple veins running through them
  • Height: 8'
  • Weight: 210 lb
  • Build: Athletic and built in the legs
  • Currently: Shy semi-lurker panda er... cat-snake
Ok so this seems a bit odd
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:34:26 PM »
So I came out to my parents about my furryness and they seem to be taking it ok. This is weird because normally, anything not considered "normal" is met with huge skepticism and a lot of odd looks. Now this seems like it is a good thing, so why do I still have trouble doing anything furry related around them? I won't even wear my collar as a bracelet around them, even though I do it around town and at school and everywhere else.

Does anyone have any insight or a similar story to this?
RIP Patchy 08/96 - 29/01/10

The Rave Master

Sors imanis et inanis
Translation: Fate monst'rous and empty - One-Winged Angel - Nobuo Uematsu

=^,-,^= Vampyre Kitteh saiz "Nyah!"

Offline ___

• Origami Guru
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
Re: Ok so this seems a bit odd
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 02:27:19 AM »
I guess because you're still kind of expecting that if you do anyything too out of the ordinary, that they'll see it as bad or question it like sometimes the collar can be BDSM and they might think its like that and not furry. IDK though.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »
Well, it is pretty normal to be shy about something, Myself im not so shy with wearing a tail, ears or a collar around my parents... Though i am very shy with pretty much anything that can relate to furry (exept for wearing a collar which i do almost 24/7 and having my tongue a "little" more visable than usual...) when pretty much anyone can hear or see me...

I won't even wear my collar as a bracelet around them, even though I do it around town and at school and everywhere else.
Usually, people are more shy to do stuff that is not so "normal" around their parents, a close relative or a really close freinds than around other people...

Well, i'd say that the best you can do is either contintue to not wear it around your parents or just put it on and hope they'll have a good reaction to it...
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Alonzorion

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Kitty-Wuff
  • Coloring: Blue and Grey
  • Build: Short, fluffy, cuddley :3
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:19:46 PM »
It's just plain embarrassment of course, it's normal for anyone to act differently around their parents than around friends or people they don't know.
Gone. If you want to get in contact, try: [email protected]

Offline Tyla

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 10 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »
I guess because you're still kind of expecting that if you do anyything too out of the ordinary, that they'll see it as bad or question it like sometimes the collar can be BDSM and they might think its like that and not furry. IDK though.
A few people in my school have said "BDSM" (granted, I wasn't supposed to be wearing it, but I love playing with the bell!), but my parents think it's cool... I only really wear it when I go out though.

I was blessed with parents that are open to some things, though I don't know how they'll react to some things... I have to admit though, I do (try to) supress myself doing some things that are related to the furry fandom and non-human animals aswell.