Author Topic: The Shining: Love/Hate  (Read 1010 times)

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
The Shining: Love/Hate
« on: April 16, 2011, 03:25:02 AM »
I was initially going to post this on the movie boards, but I realized really quick that this was going to be an extremely passionate rant. Also, SPOILER ALERT!!! I'll try to avoid them as much as possible, but many of my reasons for this rant are directly tied to the plots of both the original novel and Stanley Kubrick's abysmal adaptation.

To get the explosion out of the way: I HATE THE STANLEY KUBRICK MOVIE!!!!!!

Words cannot express just how powerful that hatred is. But before I go any further, let me explain why I loathe that film as much as I do. My reasons are two fold. Firstly, it is single handedly the worst book to film adaptation I have ever seen! The Eragon film was horrible, but at least it didn't alter the core story of the book. Stanley Kubrick's adaptation of The Shining did, however. In rather blatant fashion. Without getting into too much spoiler territory, Stan K's movie presents the story as Jack Nicholson's character basically suffering an extreme case of cabin fever. There's no obvious supernatural influence over him. In addition, or perhaps because of this, many of the emotional and human elements that are central to Stephen King's original novel are either reduced, or left out entirely. Also, the role of Danny is drastically reduced in the film, while he's is arguably the main character of the book!

Which brings me to my second point. In the book, the Overlook hotel isn't just haunted, it's the actual villain! The Hotel itself is an extremely powerful malevolent force that actively tries to kill or possess our main characters! In the movie, it's generally presented as simply haunted, which ultimately results in the climax of the film being wildly different, and inferior to, the one in the book.

Third point, and this is the one that really made my brain hurt. In spite of the dramatic changes made to the core story of The Shining, Stan K copied and pasted a stunning amount of material from the book directly into the movie! This was almost all dialog, and it was really shocking to have entire conversations transfered literally word for word into the movie! Why would you do that if you're going to change the core story!?

Fourth Point: Many of the most iconic scenes in the movie, the two girls in the hall, the blood flood out of the elevator, aren't in the book at all!!! It's one thing when a director takes something out, or changes parts of an adaptation due to time of budget constraints, but when you take stuff out, and then put your own stuff in, that's basically saying the source material wasn't good enough to start with!

Fifth point, and this is the one that turns my contempt for this film into demonic, soul scorching, hatred! Stanley Kubrick's film is arguably more famous than Stephen King's novel! As an author myself, I cannot think of any more personal an insult than having something that I put my heart, soul, blood, sweat, and tears into taken from me and mutilated with such careless abandon, and then having that abomination become just as popular than my baby!

So, those are the five major reasons why I utterly loathe Stanley Kubrick's "The Shining".

To anyone reading this, I implore you to go either read Stephen King's original novel, or check out the mini series that Stephen King himself wrote and produced, which can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Kings-Shining-Disc-Special/dp/B000077VRT

Also, am I totally out of line for feeling this way? Or do you think my extreme nerd rage is justified in light of the extreme liberties that were taken with the original novel?
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Foxaroo!
  • Coloring: white and orange
  • Height: 5'11''
  • Weight: 145
  • Build: skinny with little fat and muscle
  • Currently: Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost!
Re: The Shining: Love/Hate
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:34:10 AM »
I ish quite the movie buff and I am a biiiiig fan of the book :3
I found Wendy's character to be quite hilarious, you can see everybody getting visibly annoyed whenever she walks into the room X3 I did in fact enjoy Jack Nicholson's performance because he's delightfully crazy. I do agree that Kubrick made many mistakes with the film, such as the decision to kill Hallorann and not to blow up the Overlook. They definitely didn't emphasize the Overlook being the villain enough :(
the soundtrack hurts my ears too
If you want beef then bring the ruckus

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:41:52 AM »
It is a testament to Jack Nicholson's acting abilities that he was able to let me sit through this movie. His performace was such that even though I hated pretty much everything about the film, he kept me watching it. He does crazy a little too well. :P

I don't even remember the soundtrack for the movie. Though I was kinda pulled out of it from time to time every time they showed the wide exteriors that actually display the mountain. I live within 50 or 60 miles of that thing, so it was hard to think of it as Colorado.

And knowing you've read the book has significantly placated my nerd rage, lol. :P
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 03:43:34 AM »
i live in colorado too! i've been to the Overlook :3 (the hotel they used X3)
there were definitely a lot of things I hated about the movie, like the bad acting :( they didn't even give the characters enough background! there was so much character development in the novel!

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:08:32 AM »
I think the part that sucked the worst in the movie was the ending. The ending of the book was so emotionally charged, and the ending of the film was just  T_T

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 04:09:34 AM »
I always found the ending to be awesome, i mean Jack showed actual redemption at the end of the book!

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 04:22:57 AM »
Oh I agree. I loved the book's ending. I think hand's down my favorite scene from the book is when Demon Jack mutilates his own face with the mallet to show Danny the Hotel's true colors. That scene was just incredible. Not only is it fantastically written, but it's the ultimate reveal of the Hotel as the true villain. It's a similar reason why my favorite scene in The Dark Knight was the interrogation scene between Batman and The Joker. You have the embodiment of good (Danny/Batman) talking to the embodiment of evil (The Hotel/The Joker) about the reasons behind, and fundamental nature of, their conflict. I love moments like that. :)

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 04:25:20 AM »
I loved that scene!!!
"masks off then" :D
one of my other favorite scenes was the book scene in the Colorado Lounge when Jack sees the party for Henry Derwent and gets drinks from Lloyd :D
Lloyd was hands-down my favorite character in the 1980 film :3

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 04:32:52 AM »
Oh God, just by you saying "masks off then" sends chills down my spine.  :o

People seriously underestimate the power of a book to actually scare you these days...

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:34:12 AM »
that book gave me the chills sooo bad! especially that scene where Danny was playing in the playground and he saw that kid :D or that scene with the woman in the bathtub!

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 03:55:15 PM »
Get mad at me if you want, but personally, I loved both. I am a big fan of the Shining myself, and to me, both offer different points of appeal. Now, yeah, I can say, it's nothing like the book, but I still like it. I have to view it as two different takes on the Shining, though. I think the movie one is supposed to be more gritty / realistic whereas the book is, as you said, more supernatural and portrays the hotel as the villain rather than Jack. I could be biased because I like classic horror, but still.

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
Must say i am a big reader of stephen king, and i think its not just the shining, but also it that were terrib le adaptations. And thinner, too. Stephen king...with him its just impossible to make the movei anywhere near as good ss his books!
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 09:33:49 PM »
I'm a huge king fan and I really liked the adaptation of the Green Mile, one of my favorite movies ever!

Offline Kodachi Devil

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Bunbun! Bunbun! Yes I am!
    • Awards
  • Species: Squirrel
  • Coloring: Brown Fur, BBrown Hair.
  • Height: 5'11&quot;
  • Weight: 119 lbs.
  • Build: Medium
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 09:49:09 PM »
I actually didnt know green mile was a movie
I'm a devil, but I'm not bad most of the time. Okay I'm only bad some of the time. Okay maybe I'm bad all of the time. ;D

I heart Girls Generation! <3

• Unique Unicorn
  • Arcane Terrain
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
please do watch it, it's soooo excellent :3