Author Topic: I'm in a 2 week long existential crisis pls hepl  (Read 445 times)

Offline Lazzarus1501

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Fennec fox
  • Coloring: White
  • Height: 6ft 3in
  • Weight: 175lbs
  • Build: Average
  • Currently: Good
I'm in a 2 week long existential crisis pls hepl
« on: April 06, 2016, 08:31:02 AM »
About 2 weeks ago i started to look at things in a more philisophical way. This lead to realazations. Like my life and death will mean nothing to almost everyone not directly connected with me. I view just life in general as if you dropped a stone into a river. Once the fall gets closer to the end it gets faster until it finaly reaches the river only leaving a breif disprution in the form of a splash quickly engulfed by the fast moving water. I also realized that if you believe in fate you believe that everything happens for a reason and that we all have predefined paths to take. Even if you don't theoretically speaking if all you decisions are made based on your past and what chemicals and hormones you have in your body, then none of your choices are actually free. If none of your decions yours to make then why should you be held accoutable for them. These cocepts mixed with the fact that im not really good at anything. Im not bad either. I can sing and keep a beat but i dont have a remarkable voice. I can draw more than stick people but i cant get remarkably good. My avitar is the best thing i have ever drawn and i have a hard time even counting that because it was partialy traced. All this has made my emtionaly distant, even more introverted, and unfocused ecspacily at school. I dont want pity or to argue my beliefs i just want advice on what i can do to get out of this

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Re: I'm in a 2 week long existential crisis pls hepl
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »
I've always viewed life that way. I honestly still do. Me, I decided that I'm going to throw a few boulders in the river that the water has to go around and remember is there. Sure, it might wear down the rock eventually, but we still remember Edgar Allen Poe, we still remember Charles Dickens.

So I wrote a book. And I now have eleven more in the same series to write, another three books series, and a series to follow up Hearts. I have fans that demand more. That pushed me to realize you can leave a mark that's remembered, and you can chase your dreams. You just need the dedication to do it. I'm co-writing a sequel to Zootopia, I'm opening a tattoo parlor with my artist, in sending in voice over auditions to Disney.

There's no such thing as not being good at something. You might not be now, but you don't just fall into talent. You have to work at it. Keep practicing your art. Go write a short story. Record music. Put your opinions on YouTube.

I'll tell you one thing beyond any doubt. I believe in you. If a little nothing like me can do it, you can too. And whatever you choose to leave your mark, I'll be honored to be here for the ride. Don't worry, you'll discover that thing you're good at. When you do, clamp your jaws and don't let go.

I believe in you. :)
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: I'm in a 2 week long existential crisis pls hepl
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 02:33:59 PM »
Let me offer some interesting questions for you to ponder further!

1. Factual Relativism: This is without a doubt the most fundamental philosophy of my psyche and has been for something like 6 or 7 years. The basic idea is this. The basic idea of Factual relativism is that the universe is only interpreted by observers and all observers have bias. Suppose you have some truth, in order to interpret this truth you need to observe the truth and in observing the truth you automatically apply a bias towards it, which augments the truth to you. Now here "Bias" is general as it can get as is observer, an observer is not necessarily a conscious being but could be any theoretical point in the universe, and a bias is not a conscious thing but could also be physical, limited by the information you can see and your location in the universe (For example, the fact you can't see the stars in the day I would consider a "Bias" cause you're on earth inside the atmosphere). We call the world interpreted by some observer a "Reference frame" (I've extended this philosophy to include a world interpreted by more than one observers, something I call a "Reference Set").

Now, because one needs to observe a truth in order to interpret the truth, and by interpreting the truth you apply a bias which augments that truth in your reference frame, the fundamental thing occurs. It is impossible to absolutely prove anything about our universe, IE: We can never know a real "Truth". So I suppose that means we should simply give up right? If nothing can be known than what's the point of trying to know. Well, while nothing can be known with certainty, it is possible for you to know something in your own reference frame and it is possible for a group of people to know something within that groups reference frame.  So instead of asking "What is true?" perhaps you should ask "What is true for me?" or "What is true for the world?". This is my philosophy of set relativism, instigating that different groups of people can have different truths, and sometimes they're the only meaningful ones.

So you say you're going to die and it's not gonna matter in the world, well for one, as I said before you're instigating a universal truth, that your death doesn't matter, but you can't prove this. This entire universe may simply be in your imagination, or there may be a god who designed this universe especially for you. While this things are unlikely they're not impossible, so you can't actually prove that you don't matter to the universe. But something that you can absolutely prove, is that you matter to you. You can't prove universal truths but you can prove truths in your own reference frame, and a truth (I hope) in your own reference frame is that YOU matter to you. Now, while you can never prove this, you can definitely infer it, but you probably matter to your friends reference frames. You probably matter to your family's reference frames. It is a truth for your friends and your family that you, absolutely, matter and because we can never know any universal truths, aren't these truths the only ones that really matter?

Basically my point is there's literally no point wondering whether or not you the you matter to the world. It's knowledge we will never ever know, so instead of trying to think about that knowledge, think about the knowledge you can find out. Do you matter to your friends? Do you matter to your family? Do you matter to you? Instead of trying to make an impact in the universe, try to make an impact in the world, because whether or not your life has meaning in the grand scheme of things, it almost definitely has meaning on the small scale. We can NEVER know the truth on the grand scale, we can ONLY know the truth on the small scale, so really, the small scale is the only scale that matters.

As for whether or not we have freewill, there is an inherent uncertainty within the universe within Quantum mechanics based on our current understanding. This uncertainty within the fundamental world around us could give us uncertainty in our actions, for example our brains might utilize quantum mechanics such that our thoughts are fundamentally non-deterministic. This would mean that there would be leeway for a universe where you're not always set on a path, but instead this might be a universe where your path cannot be determined, as your thoughts cannot be determined because the world cannot be determined.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";