Author Topic: I have no idea what to do.  (Read 640 times)

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
  • Species: Giant Rat
I have no idea what to do.
« on: April 09, 2016, 01:01:23 AM »
I feel like I'm getting into a fight with someone on this site: http://nanowrimo.org/forums/character-cafe/threads/313878

I asked for advice on whether I should hide the species of my characters in my book, and then this person tried to give me some advice, but she saddled this advice with "Bunnies cannibalize their young, Gorillas are tyrants, cats are psychopaths, etc." without giving any positive traits. I told her there were parts of her advice I wasn't fond of, and now she's accusing me of being close-minded just because she comes off as an animal hater and refuses to give me any indication that she isn't. She even went as far as to use the "Animal welfare" card, which honestly I know a lot of animal welfarists, and most of them act like animals are the scum of the earth. Now I am at the point I want nothing to do with her. To make matters worse, it looks like she's getting people to gang up on me as if I'm a terrible person just because I won't write barbaric flaws into my characters and want her to list positive animal traits. I'm at the point of a meltdown right now and I have no idea what to do.

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Probably the least fierce spider you'll ever meet
  • Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
  • Species: Silver Fox
  • Coloring: Grey, duh...
  • Height: 7'1"
  • Weight: 120 kg
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Well, I'm kinda better, but also kinda not?
Re: I have no idea what to do.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 01:14:25 AM »
I can't access the thread (using hotspot on my phone, crappy reception) so I can't see what the arguments are.
The truth is, it's not their story so it's not their job to throw nasty traits of each animal in your face. I'd say close the thread and reveal the species of each character in your book over time. Each species has its own issues and perks. Humans have the most issues - we can't even get along with each other!
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:28:49 AM »
I decided to add "Look, we're making each other uncomfortable, let's agree to disagree" to my last post. I'm just hoping she doesn't play the "Too late!" card.

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 02:31:50 AM »
Well, here's hoping.
If she says "too late" then ignore the thread, or report her for abuse.
I've returned, though I don't suspect I'll be terribly active. Hey, do you want a cookie?

Offline BennyJackdaw

• Eager Elephant
  • Meep!
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
Well, here's hoping.
If she says "too late" then ignore the thread, or report her for abuse.

I think she might stop, but she doesn't seem to want to listen to anything I say.

Offline Ibi Tanvaal

• Xceptional Xenops
  • Guess who's back?
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 11:58:24 AM »
Sounds like she's one of those arrogant people you see in every awareness group ever.
"I'm always right and I won't listen to anything that suggests otherwise."
Not a fan of them, honestly.

Offline Proto Triose

• Quizzical Quail
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 12:39:05 PM »
You can always use the factual route. While those animals do have those traits (this is what throws them off, giving them their point) it's -your- world and -your- characters in a fantasy setting. You can have them do or act however you damn well please.
  • Signature art by: Lucky978 on Deviantart.com
Sorry for the absence; I had to get my life and my mind together. I missed you all.