Author Topic: Headphone/earbud advice?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline AuburnTehDragon

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • For those about to rock, we salute you! \m/
    • Awards
  • Currently: Leaving because I feel left out/ignored
Headphone/earbud advice?
« on: March 22, 2014, 02:52:10 AM »
I'm Bad-Luck Brian when it comes to headphones and earbuds. When I buy a headset they last forever (I've had my headset; a Sony Studio Monitor MDR-V600 ever since 7th grade which is pretty much about 6 or 7 years) but they hurt my ears after listening to music for ten minutes. However when I get earbuds (my earbuds before they broke were Auvio Pearls) they break within a few months.

Anyone know of any headphones or earbuds that have noise-cancellation, are really comfortable, and last a long time; and are in the price range of $20-$30 (so please don't tell me to get a pair of Beats; can't afford them)?
WHO WANT LASAGNA!?

I come from the land where vodka and AK-47s grow on trees.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Headphone/earbud advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:25:52 AM »
Generally you won't be able to find earphones that have excellent sound quality, are comfortable, long-lasting AND are cheap. But there are a few places.

If you're looking for desktop headphones, I find that logitech headphones can be quite durable. They aren't exactly noise cancelling and they're not the best in quality but they're very robust and quite cheap. Generally headphones for me only last a few months, but logitech can last up to a year and I'm relatively abusive with my headphones.

If you're looking for earbuds these ones seem like the best. They're cheap, comfortable, noise cancelling and (as long as you're not too rough on the plugs) will last a while.

http://au.skullcandy.com/shop/headphones/earphones-and-earbuds/inkd

I'd definitely recommend those ones ^ (Though that's Australian, so I dunno)
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
Skullcandy are very good for quality and comfort at low prices, and trust me, you don't need noise cancellation. All it does is use up batteries, and there's no difference when you're actually listening to the music.
If you want noise cancellation, go to a pharmacy and get ear plugs.

It's also probably my opinion that Over-Ear and Earbuds are the most comfortable. On-Ear presses on my ears and causes eventual pain.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 12:25:19 PM by MrRazot »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
I'm not too knowledged in this price range, but it seems like Superlux has some pretty compelling stuff as far as headphones go.

In terms of earbuds it's really a large hit or miss for comfort, although I can vouch for the Sennheiser CX300 II

Here's a good video about the Superlux headphones:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0UOju9Ruxw
Proud to be a furry!

Offline AuburnTehDragon

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
Well, I have tried Skullcandy before and I didn't have good experiences with them... Only earbuds from them, though. Maybe I should try a headset from them?

But anyway, thanks for the advice so far, guys. ^^
WHO WANT LASAGNA!?

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Poster
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
The Skullcandy headsets are good, just not the inexpensive ones :/
I had a very good experience with the Skullkrushers and the Aviators look cool.
lower range is just not comfortable.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated more than $50 to the forum.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
Personally I'm not too much a fan of Skullcandy. I don't have much experience with their range but they seem to be more about looks than actual sound quality. I had a pair of earbuds by them once but they were really bass-heavy and didn't sound very natural to me. It was kinda 'enclosed' sounding, very little dynamic range and barely any fine details whatsoever. I suppose the proper term for it would be muddy.

Of course your mileage may vary, but personally I see them as more of a fancy accessory brand than audio brand.
Proud to be a furry!

Offline AuburnTehDragon

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »
Personally I'm not too much a fan of Skullcandy. I don't have much experience with their range but they seem to be more about looks than actual sound quality. I had a pair of earbuds by them once but they were really bass-heavy and didn't sound very natural to me. It was kinda 'enclosed' sounding, very little dynamic range and barely any fine details whatsoever. I suppose the proper term for it would be muddy.

Of course your mileage may vary, but personally I see them as more of a fancy accessory brand than audio brand.

Now that you bring it up, I agree.

To be honest, I don't care what the headphones look like. I just want a set with nice audio quality and it isn't super static-y or treble-y.
WHO WANT LASAGNA!?