The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Hello, I am a Furry (Documentary)  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Hello, I am a Furry (Documentary)
« on: January 13, 2010, 12:26:15 AM »
Amateur film maker TheAransom has made a short documentary aiming to do the usual "show furries are normal people too" thing. To be honest, I was sceptical that he/she would do a good job of it and the fact that it focuses almost entirely on fursuiters wasn't encouraging but I found myself enjoying it and pleasantly surprised by the well rounded common sense kind of information they were giving out. Plus some of the furries were pretty fun.

TheAransom wants to do a full proper documentary so is just working on that right now.

Go have a look see anyway, it's good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPguszxGgws
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Berty

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Berty42 @ DeviantART
    • Awards
  • Species: Anthro Skunk
  • Coloring: Deep blue and white main fur, light blue stripes.
Re: Hello, I am a Furry (Documentary)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 02:53:21 AM »
Hate to disagree, but I didn't think they did a good job on that video.
I'm always sceptical of any furry media, and I know it's better to leave it and not get worried about it. But, curiosity killed the skunk and I find myself looking at any documentaries that arise.
I like to think that I know a good amount about psychology and the like; after all, I do spend a lot of time thinking about and researching it. And one fact I do know is that for somebody to listen to your views you have understand their view on the matter. You also have to find a way of being as close as you can in personality and views to them.
Think about it, who's more likely to make me believe something, someone I know and relate to or some fanatic with a closed view on the matter?
You need a furry who is as close to today’s view of "normal" as possible... thus don't start your documentary interviewing Fursuiters, they're quite obviously too involved in the fandom for the sceptic's liking. I would say start with someone who is just a furry supporter or at the most has created a character, nothing above that.
Then, once you've sorted the basics (as we've all said to people: "Furries are just people who think cartoon animals are neat") move onto other levels of the fandom, like RPing and *CLEAN* artwork.
Maybe then, and only if the documentary has gone well for the viewer so far, move onto Fursuits and the way that they allow you to bring your character to life.
If you really want to push your luck, move onto the conventions and the complete innocence of them (ie: we don't all go for a furpile in a dark room, we go to hang out with friends, meet new people, view art and the work put into peoples suits).
In a clearly defined section of the documentary state how the fandom has been shown in the wrong media light and just touch on the negative reasons why, BUT do not go into detail.
I really wouldn't suggest putting any of the spirituality aspect in the documentary... How many 4channers and Facepunchers do you really think are going to be accepting of that?

Anyway, that’s my view on what a documentary should be. So I’ve indirectly said what I didn’t like about it by saying what (IMO) it should have done…
I’m starting to confuse myself now… :S
And now for something completely different.

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure it showed the most bizarre visuals straight away to catch the interest of people who dont know or don't understand furries. most documentaries do this, show off the weird, then show why it's not all like that.

Also, I think the trolls won't care no matter what is on it. There are people who see the spiritual side of furries and it can't just be ignored because some people might attack it.

But then that's just my opinion

I do agree that it shouldn't just be fursuiters shown though.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Berty

• Avid Aardvark
    • Berty42 @ DeviantART
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »
Very true indeed.
And that brings us spiralling, and spiralling and crashing back down to the most fundamental issue... All high-rise media don't give a monkey's uncle about truth and accuracy of the documentary, they only care that it gets viewers. How best to do that? Shock the viewer with something "weird".

I will say that they did a better job on that video than I was expecting, because they did get people to explain that it's not all about the Y.

But I also would say that they didn't need to make the intro eye-catching, because (no offence to them) they're at armature level, and the documentary isn't going to be shoved in people’s faces like most of today's media... If people want to see it they have to go looking for it.
(Unless I'm completely mistaken and this documentary is going to be shown on TV, then disregard what I just said. :P )
But the "vibe" I got from the video was that they're more interested in accuracy and fairness than views.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 01:50:57 PM »
maybe maybe, but the way I see it is people can just switch off and walk away. Show them something weird and they're a lot more likely to stick around.

no point being fair and accurate if no-one's there to hear it.

Offline Berty

• Avid Aardvark
    • Berty42 @ DeviantART
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
Yep. I'm forgetting that we don't live in a world where everyone is rational and considerate.
Mind you, there's a point I've just thought up.
(Rhetorical question) Would the fandom be as popular and as defined as it is right now if everyone was understanding? Or would it melt away into "usual" life and no one notice it?
The way I see it is that one of the most defining features of the fandom is that we're understanding of each other and others... and that is what splits us from most of the haters. If everyone was understanding, there would be no trolls... and without trolls we don't stand out as an understanding, accepting and friendly group.

Sorry... I'm just thinking out loud. I'm gonna switch the tracks of this train of thought to off the forum... I'm gonna be awake all night thinking about this.