The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Active Assaults Saga Project of 2010  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Raphial

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Founder of iRaph Designs & Studios.
    • Active Assaults Online
    • Awards
  • Species: White fox/wolf
  • Height: 6' 3"
  • Weight: 185 lbs
The Active Assaults Saga Project of 2010
« on: September 13, 2010, 02:49:55 AM »
Hey peeps! It's been a long time since I last posted about my project on another board, and here goes. Many of you are probably wondering what the "Active Assaults Saga Project" is. What this is, is a once personal, and now public, video game project that started back in 2005 in 2D. In 2009, iRaph Designs was copyrighted and founded as a new business project for my future. A computer and web design business. However, early 2010 before I graduated, I also founded iRaph Studios to officially control the Active Assaults Saga Project instead of just having myself in control. This provides my team the authority it needs over the project, especially when I am unavailable. During 2007, I was rarely available due to a lot of personal family drama, and I was unable to help the project much. Now with a production studio, or team if you will, having the project slow down can be prevented.

The Active Assaults Saga Project is an anthro 3D video gaming experience for not only furries, but everyone. There are four games (Along with four books I am writing) to this epic series. The first three are for the main plot, and the fourth and last one finishes everything up in an epic and startling clash of the last remaining characters. For years this saga story has been my dream, and slowly, but surely, it has been steadily coming together into something real and astounding. I'm sure some of you have heard of my characters, like Raphial McDuffy, Josh Monoke', or Eloe Monoke'. Throughout the years Active Assaults has made its appearance here and there, and it's finally taking a huge step into the gaming industry. I cannot guarantee a date, but we will have a 3D demo of what we can do within the next year or two. For more information, please visit our website.

For more updates and features, like released chapters of the book, visit our AAGF board! Also! We're currently looking for new crew members for our team for Active Assaults. We're looking for graphic designers who can model 3D objects, draw and color digitally, or edit drawn images. We're also looking for other positions like Editors (People who edit text from the game to the book), Game Testers (People who test demos or games before they are released for bugs and glitches), General Manager (Two people who make sure everyone is doing there job without question), and Designers (People who submit drawn designs of levels, characters, ships, plant life, etc). If any of your are interested, please join our forum then send me a resume at [email protected].

iRaph Studios would like to thank the support of the sites who sponsor us and our link. Anyone who would like to sponsor our board or website for us, please PM or email me! We appreciate all sponsoring offers, and we in return will proudly sponsor a website for you in our affiliated and sponsored links.

Thank you so much for your time guys!

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: The Active Assaults Saga Project of 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 02:59:18 PM »
This is all very cool and good, but judging from some of the artwork and particularly that fanfiction thing you have up there, this isn't for everyone. This is a very fur-centric game. You use furry phrases, it's very much a distinctly furry thing. That doesn't mean that non-furs won't enjoy it, it just means that... particularly the writing, will make a barrier for entry for non-furs.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Raphial

• Avid Aardvark
    • Active Assaults Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
This is all very cool and good, but judging from some of the artwork and particularly that fanfiction thing you have up there, this isn't for everyone. This is a very fur-centric game. You use furry phrases, it's very much a distinctly furry thing. That doesn't mean that non-furs won't enjoy it, it just means that... particularly the writing, will make a barrier for entry for non-furs.
Well, I can't say "this is for furries" or "a game for furries" because then that makes it very..biased? I can't think of the word. But it makes other think "Oh this is just a furry thing" and they'll either really like it or really hate it. I want to make it sound more broad and out there. I don't want people to think just because it has anthros in it that it's all just furry. The second, third, and fourth story have a lot of "human activity" in them, and are not just for furries. I like to think this is something new, besides the sometimes corny StarFox, to the public. When do you see an epic anthro/human/war game series like this? I like to think that it -is- for everyone. : p

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 09:53:58 PM »
Well that's great to want it to be for everyone... but there's a difference between wanting it for everyone and actually MAKING it for everyone, particularly when it comes to your writing. You use fur-centric terms and view things from a fur-centric perspective. The first thing you seem to focus on is the species rather than the feel of it. You say anthro which is a VERY furry word, normally people would call them "fox-people," or something like that. The whole origin of the furries is a furry cliché of the humans doing science to improve humans and then different humans persecuting the resulting furries.

One game that I think really presents furries well is Lugaru. It doesn't make a big point about them being animals, they just are, and they use that animalisation to bring out personality.

And personality is the key. Personality is what makes it a universal, human thing.

You need to watch the phrases you use and make sure you have very identifiable personalities in your story, rather than just "supercool character X, Y and Z," which from what I see of your writing is what you've got so far.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Offline Raphial

• Avid Aardvark
    • Active Assaults Online
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:34:55 PM »
You need to watch the phrases you use and make sure you have very identifiable personalities in your story, rather than just "supercool character X, Y and Z," which from what I see of your writing is what you've got so far.
What? Give me an example. If you mean Station X and Station Y, there's a reason behind that. There's Station X, Y, and Z. Also, Glytheum-X and Pyro-Y are just chemical names. Ever heard of X and Y chromosomes? X and Y are used in science, so I decided to use that as terms. And I know I use the term "Anthro" but what else would you like me to call them besides their species name "Shezucans"? Fox-people? That's just dumb. And what phrases do you mean? I don't see any "furry-only" phrases anywhere. I really don't think you're going by supported facts here, no offense. Besides. The shorten word anthro means anthropomorphic. That's a real dictionary word...how is that "fur-centric"?

"Anthropomorphism: n. Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena."

Also. If you look at the characters then the story plots I've written on the site, you can see there is no "fur-only" in there. Everything is based on my imagination as a whole. Not my imagination as only a furry. I love anthros, and I am incorporating them in this game I am making and my story -because- I love the idea of the 'half human half canine' genre. Have you even read the Saga summary? What about personality? You say I need it as if I didn't include it, but I have very much so. I just started this series and you act like I've completed them. I've only completed the summary and main idea of each story. It won't be until I create the games that you will see "personality" of each character.

• Unique Unicorn
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 11:10:19 PM »
I called your characters  "supercool characters x y and z," because I was being rather derogatory (for which I apolagize). I was referring to them being rather flat cliché action heroes and villains. The term x y and z refers to them being interchangable. At one point in your fanfiction you could literally have written "you killed my father, prepare to die!" and it wouldn't have been out of place. Now I know you're going to defend your characters to the hilt and call them deep and whatever, and maybe they are and I'm wrong. But from where I'm standing, it might as well be Starcraft in terms of storytelling. That's why I said you need personality, because your characters seem quite standard and generic.

By the way, X and Y chromosomes are called that because they look like X, but one of them has an small nodule or whatever it's called so it kinda looks like a Y. And it's perfectly fine to name elements X and Y and Z and what not, though scientific facilities tend to have either numbers or actual names, like the Mir space station or Area 51.

The term anthro relating to animal-people is very specific to the fandom. Yes it's a contraction of anthropomorphic but most people consider anthropomorphism to be something applied to anything, as the definition states. "Inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena." Most people don't use the term anthro much, if at all. If you don't want to use "fox-people,"  then that's fine, describe however you want, just be aware of the cultural markers you are using.

To be fair, the genesis of the furries being a furry cliché doesn't relate so well to it being harder for non-furs to get into. But it is a cliché specific to the fandom and it plays on the furry victim culture that we have and also breaks common sense so that your particular vision of furries is adhered to. You stated that the scientist created furries in order to find that missing link between animals and humans, despite humans theoretically evolving from apes, not canines or felines. I mean that was the premise for the planet of the apes. That the rest of the apes evolved into ape-people