The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: alien swarm on steam  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
alien swarm on steam
« on: July 20, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »
homygosh, this game rocks! its like smash tv but with 4 player co-op and flamethrowers and miniguns and sentry guns and aliens and oh yea its FREE! yea thats right, I said FREE! I even capitalized every letter to emphasize how awesome this is. lotsa alien bug shootin' tho, so prolly not for kids. Kablaghm!

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: alien swarm on steam
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:09:26 AM »
It's not really like Smash TV. It's more like a mix of Left4Dead and Aliens (the film). It's made by two guys, who are part of Valve, and as short as it is, there is hidden code that shows a lot of plans that are in the works for this.

Right now, the campaign is the same every time, which is why they have given all the development tools straight away for people to make custom campaigns, but if you put in the right commands, you can get the AI Director from Left4Dead2 working. It's unbalanced at the moment which is why it's not a proper feature, but the tech is there so I'm guessing it will be applied fully later on.

As well as this is a tile based level generator, meaning procedurally generated levels created in the same amount of time as any other level would take to load. And it will always be different...

Now if we put both together, we could have alien swarms AND level design controlled by the AI director who bases its decisions on the performance of the players, in order to get the most dramatic and exhilirating result.

I think, as it is right now, it's a great free game, with more depth and sophistication than most retail games of this genre provide... but what seems planned for this, could make it the best free game ever.

And the weird thing is, this was a small side project. Valve pretty much made this in their spare time. Its practically just showing off, that they can make this almost on a whim... although granted it did take two years but at the same time the two guys working on it were working on L4D2 and the Portal2 co-op campaign.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 01:16:40 AM »
Sounds like a few other games I've played, I'll probably download it later :P
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Flyin'

• The Dark Angel
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • ...Why am I a horse now?
    • Awards
  • Species: Sandy-Orange Equine
  • Coloring: Orange, white
  • Height: 5 foot 9
  • Weight: 8 stone
  • Build: Skinny
  • Currently: Lurking in the shadows
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
I've downloaded it, mainly for the TF2 hat, but have not had much luck yet :(

I think my Laptop can't handle it, as it was lagging slightly in an offline match. Oh well, never mind. I still like the game though...
Am I back? Quite possibly.

Offline Sareen

• Satan's pet
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Poster
  • I'm Not Insane, Just Mentally Hilarious.
    • Fur Affinity
    • Your Nightmare >:3
    • Awards
  • Species: Cabbit
  • Coloring: Black, White and Neon Green
  • Height: 5'10''
  • Weight: 121.8 lb
  • Build: Hourglass
  • Currently: Formally Known as Danta
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Please Do Not Necro Threads Older The Two Weeks.
Thank You.
  • Signature art by: Me (Danta)
~ Im The Finger Down Your Spine When The Lights Go Out, Im The Bad Taste You Cant Get Rid Of , Im The Nightmare You'll Never Wake Up from - Me (Danta Bloodrayn) ~
Add Me On Skype: TangoPhynix