The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Computer won't start up  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Haxor

• Maverick Hunter
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Is that all you got?
    • Awards
  • Species: Raccoon
  • Coloring: Black fur, white hair, and mask, with white stripes on my tail
  • Height: 5"6
  • Weight: 135
  • Build: toned
Computer won't start up
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:04:42 AM »
So just a while ago I tried putting in a new ram stick a friend of mine gave me into my pc, it didn't fit so I put the old one back in, hooked my pc back up, and now it will not start up. It turns On, but doesnt begin start up, so please help?
Mavericks are a blight of the world, and its my job to eradicate them.

Sona done by: lock-wolf.tumblr.com/

Offline Ares the Ram

• Diamond in the rough
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
Re: Computer won't start up
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:07:48 AM »
Id hazard a guess that when you tried to put in the ram stick, you knocked something else loose. Check to make sure all of your cords are still connected and everything is locked in to its respective area.

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 05:15:50 AM »
The RAM could also not be all the way set in the motherboard, so make sure it's all good. Sometimes it "locks into place". Often you have to be a little firmer when pushing on it, though of course not too much (don't want to snap the stick x.x).
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline Haxor

• Maverick Hunter
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Is that all you got?
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 05:36:09 AM »
Everything interally is plugged in fine, even all external cords. Also the ram stick my friend gave me was too small.

Offline Dessum

• Friendly Flying Wolsky!
  • Velvety Vole
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Expect the worst and hope for the best.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • My IMVU Homepage!
    • Awards
  • Species: Grey Wolsky (wolf-husky) with white feathered wings
  • Coloring: Different shades of grey, black hair, red eyes, wings are white
  • Height: Approx. 180cm
  • Weight: Approx. 11 stone
  • Build: Strong, quite muscular, nifty wings
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:23:24 AM »
Well if everything is definitely hooked up and plugged in correctly (including the fact that the RAM stick/s are in the correct slot/channel of slots) it could be that something went wrong
when you tried using the RAM that was too small for your motherboard. It might be worth finding another stick of RAM (the same type as you have now or another stick type
that you make sure is compatible) and plugging that in. That way if it then boots you know you've got faulty RAM (that you've made faulty somehow). If not, it seems your motherboard
has broken somehow :/ You could also try taking the original RAM stick and plugging it into another computer.

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »
Sometimes RAM has a trick to getting it in, like my desktop. If it has the things that lock it into place on each end (I would imagine it does but I wouldn't know lol) try pushing it in half way, then flick the lock things so they're just touching the stick of RAM, try pushing the RAM in further, then flick the locky things over the full way. If that makes sense.
Just saying, though. Sometimes there's a little trick to it. However I'll take your word for it that everything's plugged in right.
This may/may not be any help at all but I always find half my problems to be the simplest things so who knows xD
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:22:37 PM by Kyriin »

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
I'm amazed no one has tried this:

Sounds very much like you just put them in with the wrong order.
Make sure that you've put them into the same slots as they was in when you took them out, if it's only 2 sticks, then all you have to do it to just switch the order.
If uncertain of which slots they was in: If your mothermoard is not too old it should have 2 slots in one color and 2 slots in another color, try first to put them into into 2 slots with the same coloring, if that does not work try putting them in slots with different coloring.
If you got more than 2 sticks, and all look the same (both on the sticker on it and the design, brand etc..), just make sure to put them in the order explained in the note below in the 3 slots closest to the CPU.
If more than 2 sticks and at least 1 of them are the slightest different from the other, put them in with the order described in the note below, but but the odd one(s) in the differently colored slots.

NOTE: The slots are always numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 (and so on). The slot closest to the CPU should always be #1. If your motherboard has 2 slots in a color and 2 slots in another color (and 2 in a third color if 6 slots) the other slot with the same color should be #2. The slot closest to the CPU in the other color is #3 and the remaining slot would be #4 (you get the idea). If all slots are in the same coloring, it should be in order 1-4/6 from the one closest to the CPU to the one furthest away.
The order is that if all sticks does not have the same amount of memory per RAM you should put them in the 2 slots closest to the CPU with the same color (if more than 2 sticks you just put the remaining stick(s) in the remaining slots in the mentioned numbering order.
Main point is that you put them in with the numbering order with the rules mentioned above.

Short version: If they look the same and have same amount of memory per stick, put them in with the numbering order mentioned in the note above.
If they have different amount of memory per stick put the ones with most memory per stick in the slot #1 (once again, using the numbering order mentioned in the note) and in decending order. If this does not work, try reversing the order and putting the one with least RAM in first instead and ascending order...
If 2 or more sticks are not alike but have same amount of memory, you put the one most alike the other sticks (if any) closest to them (see example)

For examples:
3 sticks, all with 1GB per stick and same model etc.
Just put them in slot 1, 2 and 3, no wierdness there.

3 sticks with 1 having 2GB on the stick and the other 2 having 1GB per stick, same model all of them:
Just put the 2GB stick in slot 1 and the other 2 sticks in slot 2 and 3.
If this does not work, put just the 1GB sticks in slot 1 and 2 and the 2GB stick in slot 3
(This example applies even if the 2GB stick or both 1GB sticks is from a different brand or model)

3 sticks with 1 having 2GB on it and the other 2 having 1GB per stick, one 1GB stick from a different brand or model:
Put the 2GB stick and the 1GB stick from the same brand of model in slot 1 and 2, put the remaining 1GB stick in slot 3
If this does not work, just switch the position of the 2GB and the odd 1GB stick.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Haxor

• Maverick Hunter
  • Chatty Cheetah
  • Is that all you got?
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:19 AM »
Nope, nothing. I think I've been informed by my friend of my wrong doing, I wasn't grounded when I touched the components so I thinking fried my motherboard, but as far with the sticks. I only took one out, the new ram stick, it was too small so I put the same exact one I just took out back where it came from, since there are only 2 slots anyway. I didn't put in the other ram stick bc it was only half, and half was already in my pc.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
I see :/
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!