The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Real fur? Fake fur? How controversial?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Talane

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • not coming back, mandragorapacks.proboards.com
    • DeviantArt
    • Mandrangora Packs RP
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black with grey underfur
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: About 120 lbs
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: http://mandragorapacks.proboards.com
Real fur? Fake fur? How controversial?
« on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:10 AM »
Would you buy real fur if it was recycled from old garmets?
Would you be more prone to buy real fur at a native American gathering?
Do you own real tails?

How much do you really know about the fur farming business through the past century or so?

My answers?
I would buy real recycled fur.
I would definitely be more prone to buy fur at a pow-wow or other gathering than from the mainstream fur market.
I own real tails (4 to be exact) and I treat them with the same respect I would have given to their original owners.

And fur farms are bad, but is PETA really helping? I'm not a PETA supporter because I would rather be the change I want to see in the world. Throwing blood on people who wear fur won't bring those animals back to life. (I don't know if it's PETA who did that or what) Generally, destroying animals for no good reason is a bad thing, but what kind of logic makes a person think "They're destroying animals! Let's destroy the rest of it! Rabblerabblerabble!"
There's other things PETA has done that I don't agree with that I won't go into for the sake of staying on topic.

And no angry/abusive comments please ;) share the love  0:)

Offline Sigcutio

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your friendly neighborhood sea otter!
    • Awards
  • Species: Sea Otter
  • Currently: Otternizing
Re: Real fur? Fake fur? How controversial?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:53:45 AM »
I have to agree with you here, Talane

Personally I would avoid buying real fur, but I wouldn't condemn anyone just for wearing it.

How PETA goes about it's protests can be very extreme. It's like they do it purposely so they can get attention  :|
  • Avatar by: Courtesy Fuzzymutt! Thank you very much ^^
  • Signature art by: Grisly! Thanks again! :D

Offline Leiton

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 04:57:05 AM »
I typically find PETA's methods be hilariously dumb (I mean no offense to them, but seriously? The whole part where they tried to get people to call catfish "Sea-kittens" was hilarious. I love catfish ^_^ )
As for the fur... I'd prolly wear fake fur... Idk how I'd feel wearing real wolf fur...  :S

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:31 AM »
Do to the fact that the Animals my fursonas are based around have no reason to be hunted, I will not be buying any real fur.

As For PETA, Their just another group of extremists making the people doing wrong look good, and making for bad examples for those who want to set things right.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Talane

• Vibrating Furby
  • not coming back, mandragorapacks.proboards.com
    • DeviantArt
    • Mandrangora Packs RP
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black with grey underfur
  • Height: 5'8
  • Weight: About 120 lbs
  • Build: Slender
  • Currently: http://mandragorapacks.proboards.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:21 PM »
I typically find PETA's methods be hilariously dumb (I mean no offense to them, but seriously? The whole part where they tried to get people to call catfish "Sea-kittens" was hilarious. I love catfish ^_^ )
As for the fur... I'd prolly wear fake fur... Idk how I'd feel wearing real wolf fur...  :S
I got a good laugh out of that one XD Some other group was trying to get locusts changed to "sky prawns so that more Americans would find them appealing and apparently we would feel compelled to send our real meat overseas.
Another thing about PETA, they got involved with some meat company a few years back and thousands of pounds of hamburger meat was thrown out because the cows were "mistreated." There was nothing wrong with the meat. These people are on my same list as those occupy wallstreet people...

Offline spark

• Avid Aardvark
    • S. Park Costumes
    • Awards
  • Species: dragon, usually
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 06:40:21 AM »
I think that if you want to boycott fur you need to think your position through and not just have a knee-jerk reaction. 

For example, if you wear leather, you have no business being anti-fur.  I mean REALLY.  It's evil if it's a cute fluffy fox but it's okay so long as it's an ugly cow that died for your fashion choices? 

And how is it different to kill an animal to make use of its pelt, than to kill an animal to make use of its meat?  Wearing fur and eating meat are both pleasant luxuries, not necessary for life.  We are all perfectly capable of surviving and even thriving on a balanced vegetarian diet.  So being rapidly anti-fur when you're not a vegetarian is, at least to me, a little bit hypocritical.

Now the people who are vegetarians, or who have a well-thought out stance on exactly why they do one thing and not another (for example people who eat only locally-raised meat, because their objection is to how the animals are treated on large commercial farms) do get a lot of respect from me. 

And if you're just not comfortable killing and wearing your fur species, I can understand and respect that too, so long as you don't push that same stance onto other people.  Personal comfort is a totally valid reason to hold an opinion.  But it's not a valid reason to condemn other people, whose personal comfort levels are different.

And people who just flip out without any real thought behind it, well, they're just irritating and kind of stupid.

Offline ArcticSkyWolf

• Foxy Fox
  • ArticSkyWolf is here to be awesome!
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Wolf
  • Coloring: Blue almost everywhere
  • Build: strong and awesome
  • Currently: Gaming some gamez
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:14:11 PM »
I have legit rabbit fur, which I somehow got one day.

It feels so soft.