The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Trying to make a game...  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Power comes in many forms.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: White hair, Green eyes, and a blue tongue and mouth.
  • Build: Very Athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Interested.
Trying to make a game...
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:04:08 PM »
Okay so I've been creating ideas for a game, in my head, but I have no idea how to go about actually making it. I've gotten pretty good at making models in Blender and I'm going to learn how to add textures and "bones" to my models soon. But I have no idea what program I should use to add these into a world or what program I should use for programming.
By the way, I have no idea how to program anything.

I kind of want to make a demo first and then submit it to a company like Ubisoft or Critireon Games or another 3rd party developer.
  • Signature art by: Me
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of then self without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die you are forgiven. If I live I WILL KILL YOU!" This is the rule of HONOR.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Trying to make a game...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 07:09:47 AM »
Making a game can be hard at times. So here are some options you can do.

Option 1: Use a game making program such as Gamemaker Pro or FPS creator
Advantages: Easy to use, can be done quickly and can be a good start to the world of programming/gamemaking
Disadvantages: quite limited software and can cost money.

Option 2: Using SDK's such as Cryengine 3, Source SDK or Unreal SDK (source would be the best IMO)
Advantages: Already has an engine built off of it, can create 3D games with good graphics very quickly and has quite a lot diversity.
Disadvantages: Still has limitations on how a game is made, can be quite hard to understand and you should have some experience in 3D modeling.

Option 3: Using programing languages such as C++, Java, VB, Python etc.
Advantages: Complete freedom in how your game is made, no limitations you create what you want.
Disadvantages: You have to learn how to program using the language, can take a VERY long time and can be quite difficult.

I also don't want to demotivate you, but making a game for a big time publisher like Ubisoft, EA and stuff like that would be very hard. Think of making a game in terms of man hours, lets say Ubisoft takes  450 employees, they work 8 hours a day, and it takes 300 days to complete a game. That's 300 x 8 x 450 (1,080,000) man hours it took for them to complete a game. So if you wanted to complete a game as good as the ones published by ubisoft and such, by yourself, it would take you approximately 123.28 years. However, that does not mean you can't make an awesome game, I'm just making sure your goals are feasable :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:15:47 AM by anoni »
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:06 PM »
Thanks! This helps a lot.
I know it takes a lot of time to make a game, But that's why I'm looking for help. I can do almost all of the modeling by myself and learn how to do textures and all that. It's the programming and debugging I don't know how to do or, really, want to do. :P
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of then self without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die you are forgiven. If I live I WILL KILL YOU!" This is the rule of HONOR.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:36:23 AM »
Programming can actually be easier then you think!

If you use an SDK or Gamemaker programming usually not involved, unless you want some custom AI's and stuff like that, in which case, yeah, you'd need to program quite a bit.

But as I was saying, programming is more about thinking logically then learning the language, once you understand how the language works it all comes down to simple problem solving to come up with what you want to do. If you spent some time learning you could become a pretty good programmer I'm sure :D

Never the less, if you don't want to do programming, an SDK is always good, If you have Steam use the source SDK, it's free, mildly easy to use and has an extremely great community and wiki (full of tutorials) that can help you out a lot. Counter-strike, Team Fortress, Garrysmod, Smod, Day of Defeat etc etc were all made using the Source SDK :P

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »
Sweet!

Also, I downloaded the UDK software and I like the setup. Now I just have to learn how to use it. (tool functions and button commands)

How hard would it be to make a game that can switch between an action adventure game, a shooter (for bows and arrows type stuff), and a racer (for vehicle controls)?

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:15:15 AM »
If you're using source SDK you already have a shooter-vehicle set up you can use. Of course, you'd have to learn how to do that.

The action adventure thing however might get a bit more difficult depending on what you want.

The first thing you should do is make a map (not a game, just a simple map) here's a tutorial on how to make your first map :D

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map

Offline Thagrahn

• Boisterous Bear
    • Awards
  • Species: Tiger and Lynx
  • Coloring: White and Black; Grey, Tan, and White
  • Height: 5' 4"; 5' 0"
  • Weight: 135 lb; 107 lb
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 05:00:11 AM »
Programming can actually be easier then you think!

This is true until you try to make halfway plausible AI enemies that wander around parts of the map.
Takes a lot of thinking and can result in many headaches trying to implement.
I am Thagarhn, nothing more, nothing less.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 05:21:08 AM »
Modeling tools often help, a lot of programmers these days say "I don't need modeling tools, I can figure this out in my head"

Maybe so, but modeling tools, internal documentation and intrinsic documentation can help significantly! :P

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
I would think making a wandering enemy would be easy. Just make a perimeter, or make something it's perimeter, that the enemy has to stay in, then make it act like a Pong ball. Once it hits the wall it turns in either an equal angle to how it hit, or, a random angle from where it hit. But when it see's you the perimeter won't matter as it's objective will be different.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
Well you could do that, but for a three dimensional game that would be silly. Also you'd have to code when an enemy sees you he has to shoot you, you'd also need to add the animations and code the bullet and shots that are fired. Not to mention physics if you want that involved XD

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 06:44:59 PM »
Well you could do that, but for a three dimensional game that would be silly. Also you'd have to code when an enemy sees you he has to shoot you, you'd also need to add the animations and code the bullet and shots that are fired. Not to mention physics if you want that involved XD
I know all that has to be done. I was just referring to how an enemy would patrol an area. It wouldn't look silly in 3d as long as you animated it and programmed it right.