The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Need characters!  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Power comes in many forms.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
  • Species: Cat
  • Coloring: White hair, Green eyes, and a blue tongue and mouth.
  • Build: Very Athletic
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Interested.
Need characters!
« on: April 14, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »
Okay so I'm working on a story that I've had in my head for close to ten years, but I'm not sure how many more characters I need to make it work.
I have the main character, the love interest, the parents, two friends, nine gods, one angel, a fairy, a dragon, an alien, and two villains.

I know I need more but I'm not sure how many more or how/what to make their personalities.
Could someone help me a little?
  • Signature art by: Me
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of then self without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die you are forgiven. If I live I WILL KILL YOU!" This is the rule of HONOR.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Need characters!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »
That's a lot of characters :P

I think that list is enough for protagonists, for general support characters and extras like a shopkeepers or civilians, you can just brain storm, you don't need to be too specific for character stories.

Remember, a good story is not necessarily a complex story, as complex stories can tend to be confusing for readers XD
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:03:43 PM »
Haha! I guess I should be more specific. I don't need main characters. I need supporting and background characters...and how should I set them up? Like, on a sheet of paper what should I write down for that character so I can remember their attitudes and viewpoints and such?
Nothing complicated, just enough to keep the character's actions and dialog in check.

I don't want every character I make to think like I do, which is how the main characters tends to be some times.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of then self without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I die you are forgiven. If I live I WILL KILL YOU!" This is the rule of HONOR.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
Character development can be quite hard, there was a tactic where you kind of close your eyes and you imagine that character in your surroundings, then you slowly get closer to him/her/it as the surroundings get more vivid and you notice more detail until you eventually step into the character.

Backstories of Support characters don't have to be too specific or emotionally wrenching, they don't even have to be mentioned but only hinted at. I wouldn't worry too much about supporting characters unless they are seen frequently within the text
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Sne

• Boisterous Bear
  • I reject my humanity and substitute a fox!
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Scarlet Mane's Diary
    • Awards
  • Species: arctic fox
  • Coloring: white
  • Height: 28 cm
  • Weight: 4 kg
  • Build: feral
  • Currently: dead
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:47 PM »
In my opinion backstories, personality analysis etc. for each (important) character should be written anyway. A short (1 sentence?) summary should be written for every single one, even the ones you use once in case you want to reuse them. You don't have to put it into the story, but it helps you a lot to feel the character while writing. And it's a lot of characters... I don't add any if it's not necessary. It's a story, not Facebook. ^.^

How the summary should look... well, it depends on the story, but for example speech manners, attitude towards specific characters, general personality type (MBTI?), a couple of most fitting adjectives, job... It's nothing firm.

It is sometimes recommended to write down everything like height, eye color, income, hobbies, dreams, hopes, political views, people to look up to, health, most hurting experience, attitude towards death etc., but of course this is mostly useless (note: just mostly, not always).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:24:32 PM by Sne »

Offline Ravvij

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • DA Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »
In my opinion backstories, personality analysis etc. for each (important) character should be written anyway. A short (1 sentence?) summary should be written for every single one, even the ones you use once in case you want to reuse them. You don't have to put it into the story, but it helps you a lot to feel the character while writing. And it's a lot of characters... I don't add any if it's not necessary. It's a story, not Facebook. ^.^

How the summary should look... well, it depends on the story, but for example speech manners, attitude towards specific characters, general personality type (MBTI?), a couple of most fitting adjectives, job... It's nothing firm.

It is sometimes recommended to write down everything like height, eye color, income, hobbies, dreams, hopes, political views, people to look up to, health, most hurting experience, attitude towards death etc., but of course this is mostly useless (note: just mostly, not always).
This is actually quite helpful! Thanks.