The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Furries in Space (Working title)  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Shapeshifter

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • only one of my forms... the Thel
    • DeviantArt
    • Roleplay Forum
    • Awards
  • Species: Shapeshifter
  • Coloring: varies
  • Height: varies
  • Weight: varies
  • Build: varies
Furries in Space (Working title)
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
  • Second of the two stories. Based on Star Trek but with Furries.
    Like the other story I have more on paper.
    Please tell me what you think!
    Furries in Space
    by Tanja

The black lion was sitting in the co-pilot’s chair of a class 9 shuttle able to see different starships in the various docks floating around Utopia Planetia. It wasn’t the first time she took this route but usually she flew the shuttle herself. Those times were over though now that she was the Captain of her own ship which made her smile. She hadn’t expected to be offered her own command this early in her career and it made her proud.

“There’s the Challenger,” the Ensign at the controls said motioning his feathery head out the window at a ship appearing in front of them.

The ship was huge compared to the shuttle but you couldn’t see the whole beauty yet since it was still in dry dock. For the past 6 months she’d had her snout in the schematics so she knew the ship like the back of her paw. They reached the front and flew along its length, the main part of the vessel shaped like an arrow with the 4 nacelles two on each side. Reaching the back they approached the hangar and landed in the brightly lit room.

“Admiral Melba is waiting for you,” the Ensign said opening the hatch for her.

Getting up she straightened her red uniform. “Thanks Ensign,” she said with a smile and a nod.

Her tail was swinging lightly from side to side as she walked to the hatch and she had to duck her head slightly as she got out.

A few feet in front of her stood a green Gecko dressed in his Admiral uniform. Saluting him she stood at least a head taller than him and her features were serious while he smiled.

“At ease, Captain,” he ordered with a grin and stepped closer to hug her. “So what do you think?” Letting go of her he looked her in the dark blue piercing eyes.

“Beautiful,” she answered and looked around the shuttle bay as he motioned for the doors.

“She’s not a woman,” he joked and they left the hangar side by side.

Laughing the black lion shook her head. “But I’m sure she’s just as temperamental.”

“You could be right about that,” he agreed and called for the turbolift as they reached it. “Bridge,” the Admiral ordered the computer when they entered.

The doors swished open to reveal a round room which was dominated by a single chair near the back wall. Steps led to a lower lever where two chairs were facing the screen sitting in front of two consoles.

Right to their left was the Engineering console, next to it the environmental controls, the main display behind the Captain’s chair showed an over-view of the ship and its functions. Next was the science station, then Tactical. A door led away from the bridge and next to it was the Communications terminal; the big screen showed the stars outside and the occasional shuttle flying by. The circle was completed with the Astrometric’s console to the right of the turbolift.

As they stepped out of the lift the Admiral led the lion down a small flight of stairs which was mirrored on the other side in front of the other door. Standing in the pit which was circled by railings on either side of the chair and the consoles in the front she looked around.

“I thought it would be bigger,” the lion said letting her gaze roam over the chairs in front of each console; only the main display had two chairs.

“Schematics are often deceiving,” the Admiral remarked climbing the stairs to the Captain’s chair. “She’s yours,” he said with a smile and an inviting gesture at the chair.

Moving closer she stopped at the bottom and smiled up at the Gecko; taking a small bow she walked up, turned around and straightened her uniform tunic she sat down placing her paws on the armrests. She crossed her legs and you were not able to see where the pants started since she preferred to show off her black digitigrade legs.

The Admiral on the other paw like the lion preferred to show his digitigrade legs as well and since his were green you could see the pants ended just beneath his knees.

“You have 5 days to get to know your crew before you are due for the final tests. Do as you please with the Challenger until then,” the Admiral informed her and motioned for the other door. “I’m sure you want to see your Ready Room now.”

“I would like that, yes,” she said and got up her tail pulling out of the hole that was cut into the backrest of every chair for more comfort.

The lion followed the Admiral and they stepped through the other door where a corridor led to the Ready Room. It was medium size with a desk, chair, some consoles on the wall and PADDs as well as a terminal on the desk to the right of the door. Next there was a big window with a couch and a table beneath. A door led into yet another room and on the left wall were some empty boards and a replicator right next to the door.

“The slip stream is ready, the Astrometrics lab as well and your crew should start arriving at 1100 hours tomorrow. You should use the time and get comfortable. I take it you brought your luggage?” the Admiral asked with a grin.

“You know me too well, Abra,” the Captain said putting an arm around the Gecko’s waist which he did as well.

“I would hope so, my sweet Laura. I was the one who helped your parents take care of you. I was your teacher for 4 years and your mentor ever since you left the Academy,” the Admiral said as they entered the Conference Room and left it again to head to the turbolift.

“Don’t remind me of how bad a child I was,” she said wrinkling her nose with a grin.

“You were never bad just head-strong.” His elegant paw hit her shoulder in a friendly clap and he let her enter the lift first. “So… what do you want to see now?”

“Astrometrics,” she answered and the lift started its ride. “How is Molly?”

Grinning broadly the Admiral winked. “Head-strong as always. I’m glad we’re stationed at different posts… we’d be in constant fights otherwise.”

Laura had always loved spending time at her mentor’s house when he and his wife were on vacation and she could join them in Africa. Though she was born in New York she felt at home in Africa which must be due to the fact that her ancestors came from there. But to be honest to herself, the place she felt most comfortable at was a starship. Early on she’d dreamt about commanding one and now that she did she could hardly believe it.

The doors opened permitting them into the corridor that lead to the Astrometrics lab and they were soon entering the room with the biggest screen on the ship.

At the console in front of the dais was standing a Cheetah with their back turned to them but they stopped working when Laura and the Admiral entered, their ears twitching.

The black lion stopped in her tracks as the woman turned with her paws clasped behind her back and a smile on her face.

To Be Continued
  • Avatar by: Captain Laura Parkins, Avatar by TheWhiteKitsune
Shapeshifter