The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Out of the Box, but better than you would think.  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf-Tiger
  • Coloring: Black and Silver
  • Height: 6'11
  • Weight: 182 lbs.
  • Build: Fit and muscular.
  • Currently: Sore back. Sore feet. Sore everything.
Out of the Box, but better than you would think.
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:34:29 PM »
Okay, so I'm a big eater, and because of my family history, eat many different recipes that make many people say "EW!!!", but they are so tasty that it converts them.

My first one is a very basic breakfast or lunch sandwich. Regular white bread with one slice with peanut butter (crunchy does accent the flavor better) and the other with condensed milk (must be fresh from refrigeration so it's nice and thick and doesn't bleed through your bread). Always add the condensed milk second, and always place the peanut buttered slice on top.  When you spread the condensed milk, spread it like you would jam or jelly, just enough, don't over do it.

The taste is awesome, the sweetness from the condensed milk complements the peanut butter's more thick taste, and at the same time, brings out the flavor of the bread, making an unbelievable mixture of flavors.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:45:55 PM by Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy »

Offline Mr. EpicDragons

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Drynx
Re: Out of the Box, but better than you would think.
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:35:57 PM »
That sounds so weird... but tasty. I'm gonna try it!
At first I may seem mysterious, but when explained I'm nothing serious.

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Poster Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »
ah, one thing i forgot to write, i will edit, but i'll still tell you here, when you spread the condensed milk, spread it like you would jam or jelly, just enough, don't over do it. But yea, like I had said in the first post, use crunchy peanut butter to really  bring out the flavors.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:46:42 PM by Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy »

Offline Mr. EpicDragons

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Drynx
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »
I don't like crunchy peanut butter
At first I may seem mysterious, but when explained I'm nothing serious.

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:49:31 PM »
that's fine. i'm just saying that crunchy just brings out more flavor, is all. creamy peanut butter still tastes awesome with it.

Offline LeafTheSwift

• Chatty Cheetah
  • C'est la vie
    • Awards
  • Species: Swift Fox
  • Coloring: Gray with streaks of orange.
  • Height: 5`8
  • Weight: 147 lb.
  • Build: Althletic look but more toned then bulky.
  • Currently: Being Happy! ^^
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 04:22:48 AM »
This really does sound disgusting, but im open to a lot of weird food ideas. I'll definitely have to try this.

Don't know if this is a weird thing ( haven't herd of a lot of other people that do it.)

Take 1 or 2 pieces of bread. Put peanut  butter on both, ( i prefer crunchy) then take a pickle cut it virtually and lay it on one. Just making a sandwich with peanut butter and pickle it's surprisingly good.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!  Stealth Operative

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
the sourness can definitely mold with that taste, but the actual taste of the pickle doesn't mix well on it for me, but cool idea.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:24:05 AM by Shinzuu Katame: Her Tolfy, Reason: Merged DoublePost »

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »
Hey guys! Back again today with another out of the box recipe, but maybe not as out of the box as you may think.

Today's little recipe is for Hong Kong Style French Toast. As we all know, there are so many different types of french toast out there (hell, IHOP has at least 20), so what makes Hong Kong Style worth your time? Well, believe it or not, it's also very tasty, and is not as easy to make. Let me start by saying that the filling is what I actually just gave you guys this last one since it was inspired by this actual common Hong Kong recipe.

Materials:
Texas Toast-style White Bread (Non-seasoned, or just very thick bread in general)
3 eggs
Refrigerated Condensed Milk
Peanut Butter (Creamy is actually better for this.)
Large, 8+ inch bowl (For mixing and dipping)
5+ inch skillet (preferably Teflon)
1 Stick of butter (won't use the whole thing, it's just easier with a full stick rather than a small one)

Instructions:
1) Crack all 3 eggs into the large bowl and whisk thoroughly without whipping it. (If the egg becomes whipped, you'll have to start over again)
2) On the first slice of thick bread, spread a generous amount of peanut butter on one side.
3a) Next, you take the other slice and roll it within the boll of whisked eggs, be sure it is mildly soaked.
3b) While doing this, preheat a skillet on MEDIUM. When it is warm enough, start lathering the surface with butter, not oil.
4) Place your mildly soaked slice of bread onto the now heated skillets.
5) After 30 seconds, flip the bread.
6) While the 2nd side cooks, apply the condensed milk with a spoon by scooping up from container and letting it down at the center of the toast, spreading gently with the bottom of the spoon gently. Apply generously. Be sure this whole step takes no longer than 1 minute.
7) Now, place the peanut butter-spread slice on top (peanut butter side down).
8) Immediately take the bowl of whisked eggs and carefully cover the sandwich with it, making sure the top slice is mildly soaked and completely covered, covering the rest of the toast as well.
9) After emptying the rest of the eggs, quickly flip the sandwich.
10) Allow to cook for 45-75 seconds, depending on your skillet/stove.
11) Turn off the fire when you see all the egg around the bread is cooked and then place onto a plate to serve.
12) For visual finesse, cut away excess egg that is not covering the actual french toast sandwich.
13) Serve hot or warm.

Being the original recipe, the taste on this is far beyond what you would get with my sandwich recipe.
The awesome part about this is that even if it sets a little to cool off, it is still hot on the inside when you bite or cut into it. When it opens up, you will have the perfect mixture of peanut butter and condensed milk to go with the delicious, buttery french toast. Because of the way this is cooked, the condensed milk and peanut butter mix will be a bit runny, but also, their tastes are multiplied. By being heated, peanut butter flavor is increased (kinda like accelerated fermenting) and condensed milk becomes more liquid-like. With the two mixed and heated, plus being insulated within the sandwich, the tastes mix and multiply higher than by themselves. It is a great breakfast item, or even late lunch. Unlike the regular sandwich recipe, you only need to eat one of these to be full.

Offline LeafTheSwift

• Chatty Cheetah
  • C'est la vie
    • Awards
  • Species: Swift Fox
  • Coloring: Gray with streaks of orange.
  • Height: 5`8
  • Weight: 147 lb.
  • Build: Althletic look but more toned then bulky.
  • Currently: Being Happy! ^^
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 12:21:00 AM »
If you keep putting up such tasty meals im gonna become a fat fox.  ^_^

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!  Stealth Operative

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 02:09:03 AM »
keep working out like me and you'll stay fit no matter what you eat.

Anyways, here's yet another delicious recipe.
Now, as some of you may or may not know, Vietnamese Cuisine has a famous appetizer known as the Spring Roll. Now, my recipe is NOT for the spring roll, since it's cheap to make and cheap to buy. For those who are familiar with Spring Rolls, know that the restaurants only give you a little cup of red vinegar to dip, but it just doesn't make the cut. What I'm about to give you is the recipe for a Vietnamese Home Dip that makes Spring Rolls taste even better, and brings out the flavors of the shrimp and goes well with the veggies and wrap.

Materials:
-Peanut Butter (Crunchy for best flavor)
-Chinese Hoisin Sauce (Found at the Asian section of any big supermarket)
-Teriyaki Sauce
-Small bowl
-Red Vinegar (To cheat the system, use the free vinegar from the asian restaurants around the country)

Directions:
1) Place an even mixture of Teriyaki Sauce and Hoisin Sauce into the small bowl.
2) Mix them together with either your finger or a little teaspoon.
3) Add in a little bit of Vinegar for sweetness.
4) After that, start adding peanut butter while stirring.
5) Continue adding peanut butter while mixing until it becomes a nice paste. (Make sure that the vinegar gets mixed in, too, and doesn't pool on top of the dip)
Optional) If you enjoy thicker dips, add more peanut butter and Teriyaki Sauce.

After making the sauce, you can either just dip into the bowl, or scoop them into large saucers. Let's face it, the rolls are too large to use small ones. Anyways, there's your little fun homemade recipe for your weekend. Come back soon for more fun recipes: Updated almost daily.

• Blade of Fury
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • Derkah Derkah
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:50 PM »
Okay, finally got time since we left for PortCON on Thursday, so I'm happy to post another fun recipe. This one is a bit more simple, and rarely looked at by non-Asians.

This is a good snack/lunch sandwich.

This one's a bit simpler, but still requires a little attention when cooking.

Materials:
-Bread (preferably Large and a bit thick)
-Butter (preferably a stick)
-2 eggs (Jumbo or Large. Medium and smalls won't do)
-2 Skillets (preferably Teflon)
-PAM spray or vegetable oil (Spray tends to work better, don't know why)

Instructions:
1a) Preheat 1 skillet with medium fire
1b) Preheat other skillet with fire between medium and high.
2) While skillets preheat, the one spray/pour oil onto the one on medium.
3) The skillet with more heat should be hot enough by now to take your stick of butter and then slowly cover it in a circular motion.
4) Now take 2 slices of bread and place it on the butter skillet.
5) Crack 2 eggs to cook on the oil/spray skillet to fry.
-Optional Alternative Step 5) Fry 2 scrambled eggs onto oil/spray skillet. (Be sure they're not whipped)
6) By this time, turn off the fire for the butter skillet and place the bread onto a plate with the toasted side face-up.
7) Flip the eggs to make sure they cook evenly. (Make sure they are well done. Runny eggs will kill the taste of the whole dish.)
-Optional Alternative Step 7) If doing scrambled eggs, make sure you flip it enough that you make an egg patty.
8) Turn off the fire and place the two eggs on top of 1 slice of bread and close the other on top (be sure the two toasted sides are on the inside)
-OA Step 8) Be sure to fold the egg patty evenly over 1 slice and close the other on top.
9) Be sure to serve FRESH and HOT.

This dish is simple, but the flavor you get from how it's cooked is very not. If you wish to add anything, try not to add more than just a pinch of salt. Honestly, the natural flavors that you get from this cooking method will make something you never knew was right under your nose. ENJOY! XD