The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: bioshock game ideas  (Read 972 times)

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • a cat that purrs/meows/licks/sniffs etc
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • my little ol youtube account
    • Awards
  • Species: maggcat
  • Coloring: black with a white chin and chest
  • Build: rather skinny but cute looking
  • Currently: doing college stuff college people do
bioshock game ideas
« on: July 15, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
After seeing the end of Bioshock infinite Ive been thinking.. where could they go next?
so i have made this thread to discuss what could the next setting be.

I myself think that to allow more creative freedom than been stuck in the  before/after WW1-WW2 era they should make an alternate reality that branches off the 21'st century possibly one based around the European union and the sudden eco push of 2006-2009.

Thinking of this idea i decided that the best setting would be a floating eco city in the pacific ocean (yes very much like brink but i promise the world will be more detailed than said game) built by the euro but got hit by the euro crisis a couple of months later in 2009 leading to the city having a recession similar to that of Spain causing a divide.

The twist is that a in late 2010 the city strays into a reigon where modern pirates (which had recently made a comeback from 2010 onwards) rule the seas.

I have ideas in mind for plasmid and eve equivalents too but it would take too long to discuss it here..

So this is my idea of a good Bioshock city but i wanna know all your setting ideas for a Bioshock game. feel free to explain them here.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 03:02:41 PM by maggintons »
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: bioshock game ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
Funnily enough I gave this a good though the other day, however I figured it would be more of a steampunk space adventure.
However I don't know how it would work or where and when it would be set, but the bioshock guys must either really know where they're going, or simply not going at all.

The alternate reality thing, who knows, that just makes it even harder for me to try and assume what comes next. Perhaps Bioshock Infinite 2 will feature playing as Songbird or something similar.

Ahh the sweet possibilities.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
Funnily enough I gave this a good though the other day, however I figured it would be more of a steampunk space adventure.
However I don't know how it would work or where and when it would be set, but the bioshock guys must either really know where they're going, or simply not going at all.

The alternate reality thing, who knows, that just makes it even harder for me to try and assume what comes next. Perhaps Bioshock Infinite 2 will feature playing as Songbird or something similar.

Ahh the sweet possibilities.
the infinite series is gonna be continued via DlC it will probably not be a sequel
this is the signature of maggintons patented under the law within his imagination :3

Offline maggintons

• Foxy Fox
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
I just thought of a great new setting!

An underground Diesel-punk  setting based in an alternate version of the year 2000 in which nuclear war caused people to go underground in the early 90's and what was once a millitary bunker has become an underground city run by an ex Texas Oil baron

Cool huh?

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Most Online
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
It's an interesting idea, but it's been done, Metro 2033 and fallout are based on those facts.

I think, with the setting of bioshock, one should be more concerned on the philosophy that resembles that setting rather than the setting itself. The creators of Bioshock have explicitly said that the IDEA of what people would do in a theoretical setting was what created the setting itself. IE: when they made bioshock they didn't say "Lets make an underwater city, full of crazy people" they said "We want a game about crazy people, it would make sense if they were in a sort of segregated city as well, like one that was underwater". As well, the time period that the setting is set in, is also apparent from the philosophy. Let me explain.

Bioshock is set in the 1970's, this was during the cold-war where the whole framework of society was in question, this is about the arguments between communism, capitalism, Marxism and so forth. The philosophy that undermines the first Bioshock is the concept that what if a society was created by only the smartest and the "best" of society, a perfect society in which you get all the people who are "top notch", the best artists, scientists and so forth, all together in one place, not weighed down by the poor, the weak or the stupid. THIS is the philosophy that undermines bioshock, what if we segregated all these people and put them into one place, underwater, away from the rest of the world, what would happen? There would be no people there to do all the hard labor, like fixing sewage pipes and what not, who would do that? Everyone is over-qualified for jobs like that! As well, the free scientific and creative advancement causes rampant technological change, particularly in biological engineering (This was because genetics and biology was a big thing during that era of the 1970's) this creates plasmids, the civil war and the whole concept that undermines bioshock. The underwater part is just there as an element to that philosophy.

Bioshock infinite is the same, except it's set even early, in the 1910's. What was apparent during this time? The biggest thing that most people turn to is the fact that there was a whole bunch of racist ideals, the idea of the "ideal" and nuclear family that you see in all the old television adds from that time, and the idea of a good christian person, who was American and that America and Christianity and white people were the best people on earth. Women would cook in the kitchens and so forth. This was the philosophy that defined that time period, and it is also the philosophy that defined Bioshock Infinite, again the city itself is just a means to segregate this philosophy and to add an extra element to the franchise, but it's NOT what defines the franchise. As well, if you didn't know, during the 1910's there was a whole lot of advancements in science, particularly the formation of Quantum Mechanics, which has emphasis in Bioshock Infinite.

So if you wanted a game that was based in the year 2000, it would have to be a game that is based on the society of the year 2000. Lets think of what defines this society. The introduction of the internet allows for globalization, it allows for anonymity and more activism, revolutions and more "collective' attitudes. It is a time of free expression but MOST importantly, and something that would be used really well in a bioshock universe, it is a time of a FEAR OF TERRORISM. Perhaps if we created a society that emphasised the fear of terrorism, the ideal of unionism and collectivism, the concepts of anonymity and the government "protecting people from the bad guys". A society that is underground, that has a government that's ideals is entirely based on the ideas of "WE PROTECT OUR CIVILIANS FROM THE TERRORS OF THE WORLD, BY BRINGING THEM UNDERGROUND TO A SAFER PLACE" where something more SINISTER is going on, we have a rebel group that works online and in secret that tries to exploit the government for the sinister thing that occurs. Maybe what the government is protecting us from, is ourselves? Or maybe the whole fear that the government proposed to the city is simply made up?

So in short: Underground city where a government has strict controlling ideals in the name of "protection". We have a rebellion group that wears masks and is anonymous that tries to destabilize the government. The government is also really controlling the people for their own gain and that no protection is really required (this would go well with the whole Iraq war scenario, how it was in the name of protection when in reality it was probably in the name of oil). This I think would be a decent bioshock set up.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";