The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: JavaScript (assignment)  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
JavaScript (assignment)
« on: October 15, 2013, 02:58:35 PM »
Hello fellow tech-furries :)

So I've been busy for a few weeks now on Javascript at my college/ university/ however-you-name-it-in-your-country.
My study envolves programming and coding and I've come across a bridge that seems difficult for me to cross, called: JavaScript.
(Not Java, for those who do not know/understand the difference)

Now this assignment is based on the previous, first assignment. For that assignment we had to create a webpage with HTML and CSS coding.
If you'd like I can post a screenshot and you can see the code for that webpage.
Anyways, this assignment with JavaScript consists out of the following (as best translated as possible):

-The grid of images will be generated by JS.
-The form: you will be ale to give your name, as to which the system will give you a (random) number and will check to see if you have won a prize.

These are the main two points of the assignment, the rest of the requirements are as followed:
-You will use in a good way/manner arrays and variables to 'temporarily' save data.
-You will use in a good way/manner event-handlers to handle the necessary events.
-You will use in a good way/manner deciding statements and loops for a good working program.

*Javascript must be mentioned with useful commentary.

Extra 'bonus' points:
-Javascript is ordened by functions.
-Object orientation has been applied well in de case.
-When the mouse goes over the images, the price and description will be shown.

And this assignment has a deadline for the 25th of October.
I must however have it finished before or during this weekend, because after the weekend I cannot work on it much more.

I would appreciate any help regarding this matter.
I believe I should work mostly with arrays, but if possible I would like to have contact through perhaps Skype (with voice call) and go through it step by step if that is possible with anyone.
I have difficulty understanding it and feel I don't have much time left (and thus stressing me a lot), but am trying my very best and would like to make this work.

Thanks in advance,
Ventus Fall.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: JavaScript (assignment)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
Are you having a problem with the syntax of javascript, or the actual logic of it? Like the concepts of arrays, event handlers and such.

I can help you with the latter but not the former unfortunately xD (the former you can use google xD)
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:10 PM »
Basically, I don't know where to start.
I know that I should use arrays, but how in this context/assignment I do not know. If that makes sense?
Maybe I just cannot easily comprehend this, because I'm stressed about this. I am less stressed than before, I got two books about Javascript now, but I can understand the language when I read it, but when to use what is for me the jist.

(Thank you btw Anoni for responding :))

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »
I think the big clue here is how they word the criteria

"The grid of images"

This is probably where you'll need your array, now I could see it going in many different ways.

1. If you are meant to generate your own images, you'd need an array to store the information that's relevant for that image. An example is a bitmap image, that requires around 52 integers for the header, then 3 integers per pixel for colouring. That would be an array (a relatively large array at that) of pixels.
2. If you are meant to sort specific, premade images, you may need an array of IMAGES. Arrays can be of any datatype, including whatever data type you used to store images, or possibly you could have an array of integers*, each integer representing an image. Either way, you'd use the array in conjunction with the images you have.

So in an essence whenever you have lots of the same thing, you can use an array, so if you have lots of images, you can store those images into an array.

I'm not entirely sure if JavaScript has a "string" datatype, but if it doesn't then you'd definitely need an array of chars (characters) to store peoples names when they insert it into the form.

*Creating an array of images might be very difficult, so instead what you could do is create an array of integers, but whenever a certain integer is called, you put up a certain picture. Example is like, Picture A gets called when number 1 gets called, or picture B gets called when number 2 gets called. Though, you could defeat the array entirely by using normal values, you could still do it with arrays.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:07:40 PM by anoni »

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:08:29 PM »
Could we perhaps have a voice call or something through Skype tomorrow or the day after?
Then I can show you with share screen what I've got and perhaps you can show me the codes needed more precisely.
Please let me know :)

The grid of images btw is referred to the images previously placed in HTML (which was the first assignment) in a grid form.
I can share screenshots if necessary to understand :)

But yes, an array would be lovely for the images. Though I've tried multiple things on trying to get things to work regarding the images, so I feel so stuck right now with that, because none of the things I've found so far have been successful ):

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 07:47:59 AM »
Well, the problem is I don't know much JS, so I won't know any of the syntax for it xD