The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The true meaning of being furry?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Sergie The Sergon

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
The true meaning of being furry?
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
Hey guys,

Something has got me wondering about the Furry Fandom and being a furry, and I just have to ask:

What does it mean to be a furry?  What was the Furry Fandom about? What is the Furry Fandom about now?

Now, over the yeards of being a furry, I have come to realize that in almost every subculture or community or social group, there is going to be drama.  Of course, drama from outside the Fandom, i.e family, relationships, work, school, etc, can be part of it, but I've noticed that the Fandom has like it's own forms of drama.  I have a good friend in the US, Blizzard, has been going through some rather big, and unnecessary, drama with an ex-boyfriend and several people.  Now, knowing the nature of the drama, I had been asking my self over and over, What is being a furry truly mean?

The way he describes the drama, he comments that he gets really embarrassed to even call himself a furry, even is considering leaving the Fandom.  His choice, I know.  However, I cannot shake of a few things that even has me wondering about the Furry Fandom.

Over the years, I have spoken with different furs.  Pets, masters, mates, the whole lot.  Some furs just like meeting up with other furs, socializing, having fun, being silly etc.  And, of course, some furs that meet up with other furs to play around, i.e yiff.  Now, that not really my business, they can do what they want.  However, that being said, it has got me wondering about the true meaning of furry

My friend, Blizzard, has gone through drama with his ex, because where ever he goes, his ex is also there, and his ex seems to whore himself around with whoever my friend talks to.  Even whores around with me.  Yet, he doesn't take responsibility.  Whenever he gets called out, he tries to blame Blizzard, which has brought him to tears, literally.  Not even together anymore and his ex is trying to **censor** things up with him.

Now, his ex whoring around.  He's not the only one that does.  I have spoken to some furs that do in a sense, whore themselves around.  Even when they have mates, or did have mates.  I am familiar of a story of someone who left the Fandom, because his boyfriend actually thought that being a furry was about yiffing other guys and tried to hook him up with his friend.  Of course, when they got back home, he broke up with his boyfriend.

Everyone has their own idea of what being a furry means.  However, some, in my opinion, use the Fandom as a scapegoat, an excuse to do what they want.

Everyone has their own thoughts on what being a furry means.  It's different for everyone.  However, the real question still remains:

What is the true meaning of being a furry?  What is the Furry Fandom now?

Note:  I felt like I had to ask.  Don't hate me.  I was talking with Blizzard earlier today about the Furry Fandom in general and what it is nowadays.  I thought I could get your opinion on it.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: The true meaning of being furry?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
A lot of people like to blame drama on "furries" and like to classify things as "furry drama". The truth is though, there isn't any furry drama, it's just normal human drama. The only reason it seems different is because in general the fandom is a bit more open about those behaviors and so fosters them, but furry drama is EXTREMELY similar to LGBT drama, both communities foster the same behavior as well. It's just really drama, but it's slightly different because it's open drama.

What is a furry? Same definition as any fandom, the vaguest definition possible is that a furry is someone who likes anthro art enough that he is willing to associate himself with a group dedicated to it. IE: A furry is one who calls themselves a furry. You have many different sub-cultures within the furry fandom, fursuiters, lurkers, artists, writers, casuals, therians, etc. But really all these communities have the same idea in common, that they identify as furry because they like the art. That's all that really a furry is, everything else is up for interpretation.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";