The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A question on character creation  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Twilight Rose

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Folf/Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: Black and silver/Black and red
  • Height: ~5'9"
  • Weight: ~150lbs
  • Build: Lean, fairly muscular
  • Currently: I don't even know
A question on character creation
« on: June 19, 2014, 01:32:31 AM »
I normally don't have trouble with character creation. I have a lot of them already, and many of them are sonas of mine as well, more or less. However, I realized recently that there's a couple of personality types missing, and decided to fill the gaps. Or rather, my already-made characters decided they needed to be filled. One of them, though, is insisting on sharing a first name and vague physical description with an existing character. Any idea how I should handle it? If possible, I'd prefer to let him keep the name and form, but I wanted to know what you guys think.
"I am a servant of the world. And if I am a servant, then you should consider yourself a tool, at best."
~DiZ, Kingdom Hearts II

Offline TheEndIsNearUs

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
Re: A question on character creation
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:47:09 AM »
Work on giving them unique traits that set them apart from the existing character, either personality wise or appearance wise, whichever you're worried about.

For physical, try changing up their build, face-shape, colour-scheme, etc. Maybe this character wears glasses and the other doesn't, or maybe they have freckles or a birthmark. They don't have to be big changes, just enough that you can easily tell them apart.

For personality stuff, give them their own motives and reasons for their behaviors, and think of some unique quirks or ticks for them.

Just change them up in small but significant ways to help define their individuality as an OC.

Characters sharing first names can be confusing at times, but it's a not a big deal; I have a one or two with the same first name myself.

Hope this helped your question!

Offline Whitepaw Niniichi/Enigir Shosa

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Eyes on the horizon!
    • Awards
  • Species: A native Australian Dingo!
  • Coloring: Hazel eyes, messy dark brown head hair, orange and white body fur.
  • Height: I keep forgetting~! Heh...
  • Weight: I keep not checking...ehhhheheheh...
  • Build: Lithe, athletic features lent to me by a few years of competitive cycling. Not much clearly defined musculature but I have big legs!
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: What is worse - to think too much or not enough? Both seem abhorrent...
Re: A question on character creation
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 03:29:37 AM »
Yeah that's a sucky problem when it arises - I have a naval captain and a rouge with the same offensive load out and pose and it took me a week to realise - afterbirth characters were locked in to their tales. But sometimes it's as simple as accepting their apparent inherent individuality. Otherwise make a backstory as to why they're so similar; maybe on your world it's a trend to look that certain way. Maybe it's alternate dimensional interference. It a personal favourite, maybe it's a case of 'screw you I like this look!' But that's only if changing them really doesn't work. Salem's points are really, REALLY good.
  • Avatar by: I am by and large responsible for my own artwork.
  • Signature art by: Moderator Mr. Razot for the FDF logo! YAY MR. RAZOT!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!