The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mechanics, where to start, tools, and projects.  (Read 1048 times)

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • Self proclaimed AK god for the next hour or so.
    • Awards
  • Species: SeaWolf
  • Coloring: Gray with white skull
  • Height: 5'11/180cm
  • Weight: Wouldn't you like to know?
  • Currently: Holy applesauce I still exist here.
Mechanics, where to start, tools, and projects.
« on: July 06, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »
Hi everyone! I don't know where I'd post this, but this board seemed fitting. I love cars, welding, and building things. I want to start learning mechanics, but I don't know where to start. Help?

Aside from me, you can post your mechanics related items here! Projects, tools, tips, how-to's, anything!
  • Avatar by: Not me, that's for sure.
In the depths lies the thing that should not be.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Mechanics, where to start, tools, and projects.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 05:22:49 PM »
The Tech board is for computer stuff, not for technical stuff in [general], I made the same mistake when I was a member too xD

While I don't know much about welding, cars or so forth (I do know people who do know that stuff) I can tell you all about the PHYSICS of mechanics :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:25:22 PM by anoni »
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 09:43:17 PM »
(Thanks, it seemed fitting because of tech mechanics are almost hand in hand nowadays)

I'm not one for physics. More of a chemistry and engineering type. It does sound interesting though...

As for welding, my dad and I used a Lincoln Electric MIG welder (Metal Inert Gas) with flux core.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:49:53 PM by Ziggs Jr. »

Offline White Wolf Guardian

• Wolgon Hat
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Received through special limited time events Top 10 Poster This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • I'm a wolgon!
    • Steam
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf Dragon (Wolgon)
  • Coloring: White and Blue
  • Height: 10' long or 7' tall
  • Weight: 400lbs or 250lbs
  • Build: Thin
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Healed up
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
Honestly one place to start would be a junior college. Do: Welding, Machine Tool Tech, CNC Programming, Automotive, Electrical, CAD/CAM, and some engineering classes. I got involved with that work related field for the last 5 years. It's not for me, but it could be for you. If you can do  all of those things you can easily score $70K a year and keep going up.

Employers like people who can go into the shop and pick up any machine and set of prints then go to work and get the job done as fast as possible then come back in the office and sit at the computer and start up the next job. If you play your cards right you can become a foreman or run your own shop.
  • Signature art by: FluffyGorer

Offline NautilusWolf

• Influential Ibex
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
I'm going into the Navy, and I might go to JC like you suggested.

I want to do some form of mechanic work there.

Offline underpilot

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: 235lbs
  • Build: A little bit chubby and trying to work it off
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:53 AM »
Where to start? Well the best way is to just go out and work on your car. Need the oil changed? Change it yourself. Spark plugs? Go buy a spark plug socket and get to work. Head gasket goes out? Well you'll need a torque wrench. Between owners manuals, shop manuals, and factory service manuals, not to mention the countless number of tutorials and videos on the internet, you can become an incredibly proficient shade-tree mechanic pretty quickly.

For tools, it depends on your budget. If money is of no object call up a Snap On truck guy and ask him to stop by your house, but have plenty of credit cards lined up :P But really, if you're willing to spend some decent money, go to a Sears and buy a Craftsman mechanic tool set. Should have about 100 different tools of decent quality (Craftsman isn't at all what they used to be, but it's still decent quality tools). This will help you get started.

If you don't want to spend that kind of money, look up Harbor Freight, they are a discount tool supply company. Lots of cool stuff, but the quality - at absolute best - is "acceptable". But they are really cheap, and you can get a basic mechanics tool set for like $50.

Either way, now you have a basic tool set. That should get you going for 90% of the projects you'll do in your drive way. For the other handful that you need specific tools, you can buy those as you go and need them. One of the ones I recommend buying soon, and investing in a good quality tool (at least Sears, not Harbor Freight) is a torque wrench.

So now you have some tools, and you can look up the basics of changing oil and filters on the internet (because those things are pretty common in concept across all cars) but now you want to do something a little more involved. Depending on the car you have, maybe you need to redo a timing belt. You're going to want a repair or service manual. Now repair manuals are typically by Cymer or Haynes, they're books about 1 inch thick. I'm not personally a huge fan of them, because they tend to be somewhat vague and without details. So if you can afford it, you're going to want the factory service manual. By comparison, these are usually multiple 2-3 inch thick books. LOTS of more information. You can sometimes find them on eBay.

Woo! You're making good progress, you're no stranger to an engine bay and you even helped your friend pull his engine last summer. That's great! But now you want to do something more. You've always been a huge fan of those older cars, and your neighbor is selling a cool one that just needs a bit of work (he says - it will ALWAYS need more work). So you buy it, and find some rust in the rear fender well. Time to go buy a welder! You're going to want a MIG welder. It's basic, but it's very easy to use, and will work for the majority of simple tasks. Look up some more guides! There's tons of welding videos on the internet, and you can become a reasonably proficient beginner welder just from watching videos and practicing a bit.

Sorry, ranted a bit :P The point is: Buy some basic tools, and a service manual for your car, and go out and work on it! You'll learn as you go, and can build up quite the toolbox over a few years. It's a lot of fun, I love working on my own cars, and you save a ton of money when you can change your own oil, do your brakes, etc.