The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: I'm having a problem lately  (Read 931 times)

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: wolf/demon/fox hybrid
  • Coloring: Crimson red/grey
  • Height: 5’ 11”
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Improving at Osu!
I'm having a problem lately
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
Ok, here's the thing. There needs to be some sort of change in my school. I want to dye my hair white to better suit my fursona (who I actually am). But the school I am at disallows un-natural hair color among many other things; for example, they once got on me for wearing cat ears and they confiscated them, which I still haven't gotten them back.

Now you may be wondering why I am posting this on here, the reason is pretty simple, there are NO furries in my local area. I have no one to reach out to about this issue, if I told it to anyone they would laugh at me. I am currently failing school and trying to bring up my grades; all the while, trying to upload consistently to youtube so I can be a respectable content creator.

I'm constantly feeling oppressed and it's really taking its toll on me, 'most everyone always tells me to shut up about undertale and that is not helping things. If I can let my true self out, I will be able to overcome these and save my dying self-esteem.

If anyone, ANYONE… is in the area of San Antonio, TX, and they want to discuss this further, please feel free to send me a message to my (alternate non-youtube) email, [email protected]

I also apologize at this post being poorly worded or explained, I'm typing this in a rush. I will explain more details to anyone who emails me.
twitch.tv/MTF_AsrielDreemurr

Offline Panda

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Skunk
  • Height: 5'5"
  • Build: Petite
  • Currently: Lurking
Re: I'm having a problem lately
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 02:12:09 PM »
How do you know there aren't any furries in your area? Because from what I've seen, Texas has a LOT of furries. Especially the bigger cities. You probably just haven't met any yet  :)
How are your parents about the issue? Because if they're okay with it, you could look into going to a convention in your area. Even anime cons have furries so it would be a great place to meet some. (Though if you're under 18 you need a permission slip + guardian with you)

I would try not to let it get to you too much. YOU know who you really are, regardless of how much you can express that physically right now. And you're probably not as alone as you think
[ Asexual furry | Genderfluid | They/them ]
Spoiler for Hidden:

Offline ★Amethyst★

• Gregarious Gnu
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Maine Coon
  • Coloring: White with light purple hair/patches
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 120
  • Build: Average/slim
  • Currently: itching to do stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:54:52 AM »
Well what do you know, I'm from SA too :p Though personally furry is more of an artistic expression to me than an identity like you are describing.

Still, I actually wanted to bleach my hair white in high school too. I didn't get around to it and my school probably wouldn't have allowed it either. I don't want to sound like "don't be yourself", but high school is only a few years of your life. After that you can do whatever you want with your hair, so if your school won't budge you may have to be patient. As for grades, it's good that you're trying to improve them. If running a youtube channel is distracting you though, maybe try shifting a little more focus towards school. I went through a pretty stressful stint in high school so I know how difficult it can be, especially when you have other hobbies.

Also, SA is a bit city, and there are definitely other furries around. There's a facebook group I know of, as well as a meetup group that does meets semi-regularly. Cons are also a good idea. There's San Japan that's pretty big, and also a smaller one, Mizuumi-con that's next month.

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter Obtainable by request This user has donated to the forum.
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:00:35 PM »
Well what do you know, I'm from SA too :p Though personally furry is more of an artistic expression to me than an identity like you are describing.

Still, I actually wanted to bleach my hair white in high school too. I didn't get around to it and my school probably wouldn't have allowed it either. I don't want to sound like "don't be yourself", but high school is only a few years of your life. After that you can do whatever you want with your hair, so if your school won't budge you may have to be patient. As for grades, it's good that you're trying to improve them. If running a youtube channel is distracting you though, maybe try shifting a little more focus towards school. I went through a pretty stressful stint in high school so I know how difficult it can be, especially when you have other hobbies.

Also, SA is a bit city, and there are definitely other furries around. There's a facebook group I know of, as well as a meetup group that does meets semi-regularly. Cons are also a good idea. There's San Japan that's pretty big, and also a smaller one, Mizuumi-con that's next month.

Yeah… it is 4 years of my life. That I don't wanna waste by feeling down and oppressed all the time

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 07:41:48 PM »
How do you know there aren't any furries in your area? Because from what I've seen, Texas has a LOT of furries. Especially the bigger cities. You probably just haven't met any yet  :)
How are your parents about the issue? Because if they're okay with it, you could look into going to a convention in your area. Even anime cons have furries so it would be a great place to meet some. (Though if you're under 18 you need a permission slip + guardian with you)

I would try not to let it get to you too much. YOU know who you really are, regardless of how much you can express that physically right now. And you're probably not as alone as you think

And… how does this even help me…? I'm trying to achieve something and I'm getting not much feedback from that standpoint

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. Top 50 Most Online
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 08:08:36 PM »
If you can explain what you're trying to achieve in 10 words, then I can help you.

For now though...

Best advice is to get on with high school. I went to a traditional boys high school with a strict uniform policy, so uniqueness wasn't allowed. I'm still alive.
I also thought about dying my hair white, but I think it won't suit me as much as I think it would. For now I'm just growing my hair to see how it'll look. I guess it's the whole debate as to what's more important: how others see you or how you see yourself?
I'm the words of Samurai Jack "the oyster shell only hides the pearl inside".

It's good you're wanting to get your grades up. Get then high enough that you won't regret it when you finish and that they can get you to where you want to be later in life.
YouTube of course important, but try prioritise schoolwork before YouTube, especially if you're trying to bump up those grades.
I also don't know what kind of content you're trying to get out and what kind of a following you're building, but you come before them. That's why content creators often go on hiatus.

Undertale was an awesome game and I'm also a massive fan (as are others here and around). However it's not for everyone to enjoy and talking about it to people who have no idea what a Sans is won't make them like it. It like how I realise I keep on comparing everything to Japanese culture. It gets old quickly to everyone who doesn't care.
I recommend either finding someone equally enthusiastic about Undertale as you, or trying to put it behind you for now and follow the news as to what people are finding out about Gaster.

Music helped me express myself in highschool and listening to it helped me cope.
Sometimes the best thing is to not care what people think. I'm a man who's recently taken up knitting as a small hobby. People ask me if I'm gay because of it and I just laugh at how daft that sounds because I don't care if knitting is supposed to be for girls or whatever. They see I don't care and they then know I don't care and so they don't care either
 At the end of the day I've given them something to laugh and think about.

I want to help you.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 02:10:28 AM »
White hair is a natural hair color. Have you perhaps tried telling your school administrators that you are over 80 years old?

In all seriousness, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Coming out as a furry in high school, especially out and about as one, will have the effect of painting a huge target on your person. You will instantly become "that kid". You know, that one. Your school probably has a few and it might not be a club that you want to join. Like others have suggested, hook up with other furries, online or otherwise. Join communities (like this one!), get chatting, and maybe figure out who you might be able to hang out with and where you might be able to go in your area. I would think a big place like San Antonio would offer resources (but it probably isn't like Austin in that regard, or so I have heard). That might tide you over until you get out of high school and either leave home or go to college where you are reasonably free to do what you choose.

Ideal advice? Not by a long shot. Practical advice? You betcha. Reaching out here is a good step, at the very least.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline CZAtion

• Boisterous Bear
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »
White hair is a natural hair color. Have you perhaps tried telling your school administrators that you are over 80 years old?

In all seriousness, I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Coming out as a furry in high school, especially out and about as one, will have the effect of painting a huge target on your person. You will instantly become "that kid". You know, that one. Your school probably has a few and it might not be a club that you want to join. Like others have suggested, hook up with other furries, online or otherwise. Join communities (like this one!), get chatting, and maybe figure out who you might be able to hang out with and where you might be able to go in your area. I would think a big place like San Antonio would offer resources (but it probably isn't like Austin in that regard, or so I have heard). That might tide you over until you get out of high school and either leave home or go to college where you are reasonably free to do what you choose.

Ideal advice? Not by a long shot. Practical advice? You betcha. Reaching out here is a good step, at the very least.

Seriously, I'm trying to dye my hair