The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Who aaaare you?  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Who aaaare you?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:41 PM »
You could have used continents...

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 09:07:56 PM »
an american black guy would say he's from america, he'd still be treated as a black guy. a second generation african immigrant into america would also be treated as a black guy. A first generation caribbean immigrant into america would also be treated as a black guy, and all three would generally live in similar situations. That's 3 continents with little difference.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Armalite_

• Shoots to Thrill
  • Scented Skunk
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Topic Starter
  • For the phony tough and the crazy brave.
    • Fur Affinity
    • My FA
    • Awards
  • Species: Spotted Hyena
  • Coloring: White, brown, charcoal, and green
  • Height: 5' 11"
  • Weight: 200 lbs.
  • Build: Toned
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2009, 01:48:38 AM »
That's a bold statement. So what you're trying to find out is the standard of living for people based off their skin colour and not national background? What's wrong with labling people from places? You can't hold a survey that says upper class American? Middle Class Austrailian? Middle class Asian? That is why I suggested continents since you didn't want to use countries. I don't really want to say this but I think your poll kinda throws the term "equality" right out the window. No offense, but it's like you're implying that an American black person lives or should live differently from an American or Austrailian or European white person by basing financial and material wealth as a result of skin colour with complete disregard for where they're from. Hence: developing countries, 3rd worlds, and the financially stable. What's worse is that you know it's racist and you still don't do anything to change that, let alone knowingly start a poll that could be offensive to people. So what if you can't have a massive poll? Is that supposed to be what you tell people when they get upset? An upper class white boy getting beaten up in an alley by thugs strictly because he's rich and, most of all, white? Or a poor asian who cannot find work because he cannot speak English properly in an English dominated country escaping war and terror? What I find a bit scary is that some people go along with this without realizing how racist it really is or even care to mention it which really tells me things about certain people.

I know you didn't mean bad intention when making this poll. But all I can say to you is if you care about the feelings of others or that you're being racist, then you do something about your racist poll. I gave you my suggestion.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 02:36:20 AM by Spike_Vicious »

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 10:34:30 AM »
That is a very good point, and i agree that dividing people up into colours rather than nationalities or even contental identities is incredibly crude but i do think that this is how society divides people. These are the categories that society decides for people. My survey makes no decisions about whether a black person should or is likely to be poor, or a brown person be rich or a white person be somewhere in the middle. Just that society divides people by these categories of colour and wealth. Whether a person connects the two and dictates what position one colour would occupy and the characteristics of that colour is racist and i do recognise that some of my comments have done that to middle and upper class white people and I'm not happy about that but my survey is not about my personal opinion on race. It's my personal opinion about the influence of society upon race and class.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project