The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Confused about what to call myself  (Read 473 times)

Offline Alice The Necrofox

• The Necromantic Mechanist
  • Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Back in black! Or rather a putrid shade of green
    • Awards
  • Species: Undead Fox/Demon Hybrid
  • Coloring: Green fur
  • Height: 5' 8"
  • Build: Tall, well built, young ish
  • Currently: Re-integrating with TFF. SO EXCITE
Confused about what to call myself
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »
Ok, i know i am a furry, but my dad just pulled me aside and said that when i tell people that i am a "Furry", the image of guys in mascot outfits going to a convention to screw is the first thing in most peoples minds. Now my dad could be completely biased, but it kinda does ring true.
How do i tell people who i am without using that one word that causes (not all) people to instantly be biased twards you.
I sometimes explain what a furry is (they just like Anthropomorphic at varying levels of like) and my friends and peers understand, but still.
Help?
  • Avatar by: Kazna (Waiting for him to give me his FA again)
  • Signature art by: None

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Confused about what to call myself
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »
frankly, i dont care what people think of me, but then i dont talk to people about my furryness much. You could just say that you think furry drawings look cool, or that you're interested in that image. Then people will get concerned and ask you if you know about the dark side of furryness, then you can explain and educate.

But still... it doesnt really matter. It's not like you'll be saying it on a job interview or something :P
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline userstupidname

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Panthera tigris
  • Coloring: darkish yellow with black spots
  • Weight: *blush*
  • Build: oh cman
Re: Confused about what to call myself
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 11:51:12 PM »
I think you should compromise, remember its not that its ''wrong'' for your peers but it is new for them and in my own personal opinion i think that you naturally react hostile to  something new. I everything works out for you  ;)