The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Some of my writing  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Rilin

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Gamer Rodent
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: Mouse
  • Coloring: Brown and Dark Cream
  • Height: 5'4
Some of my writing
« on: April 26, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »
Well, about half a year ago, I decided to try my hand at writing a story, or at least an introduction to one. I was recently browsing through my old word documents and came across them again, and decided to post them here so that I might get some constructive criticism, as I know I am not the best writer in the world. :P

Here is the first one I did:

The petitioners roamed outside, waiting and anticipating the moment when they may become victorious in their tedious battle of opinions. Chants and rhymes escaped their all too enthusiastic mouths, and rose to a cloud of steam above them into the chilly air, like a spirit released from a corpse.

Miss Alton stared out of her window at the minuscule people below, grasping signs and banners, blending their voices into one, single amplified giant.  She sighed heavily and clutched the shining locket that hung around her neck on a thin golden chain.

Her office was surprisingly small, despite being the legal owner of several car factories. Being wealthy was enjoyable to an extent; intimidating the poor and having the ability to live in complete luxury at her fingertips. It almost felt as if she was a step closer to ruling an empire, not that that was anything she particularly desired. She chuckled to herself then sighed again. Clicking open the polished golden locket with her frail, trembling hands, she viewed for the first time in two years, the tiny black and white photograph of her deceased husband, Edward Alton.   

A feeble tapping noise sounded from the steel office door. Swiftly, wiping the single tear that had rolled down her cheek, Miss Alton removed the locket descending from her neck and hid it inside of her top drawer. ‘Come in.’, she said almost sternly, and returned her gaze to the group outside her window.

Slowly but surely, the door opened and a man dressed in a bleached white shirt with a straightened red tie, and ironed black trousers approached the old woman at her desk. His hair might have been chestnut in colour, if it were not for the amount of gel that slicked back the shade. He was a thin man, aged twenty or so and wore a pair of expensive glasses, which magnified his nervous blue eyes.

‘Miss Alton’, he said almost whispering at first, and after receiving no reply, not even a gesture of acknowledgement, he said it once more, a tiny bit louder.
‘Miss Alton, in my opinion, you really aught to call the police and do something about these blasted petitioners.’
‘Please dear, call me Sarah…’
‘My apologies’, said the man, wiping the sweat off of his brow with his forehand. ‘Sarah. If we don’t do something quickly, I’m afraid things could start to get a little out of hand.’

I never really continued it because, in all honesty, I don't know what will happen next due to my bad planning at the time. :P Maybe if an idea strikes me I will continue it. ^^

The second piece I wrote was a little intro based on a thought I had about pennies, and the fact that one pence could have been owned by hundreds of people:

Have you ever picked up a penny, looked past its rusted, red surface, its simple uselessness, and considered the places it has visited?

It may have sat in the retired pockets of the elderly, or embraced the fragile hands of the young. It could have journeyed around the world in a luscious leather wallet, or perhaps had been tossed onto the icy, gritty pavement, left to drown in the rain. 

Have you ever sat, perhaps on that mossy bench in the park, and viewed any old stranger in the same way?

They may appear to be objects, perhaps even obstacles that you come across every day. They could be heroes or villains, poor or rich; but each of them, every single being in this lifetime, holds a story, an experience. which may have changed their lives forever.

So there you have it. As I said before, any constructive criticism is welcomed; after all, it can only be beneficial. :) Also yes... I think I might use paragraphs when they're not needed too much.  o.O
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:33:25 PM by Rilin »

Offline x

• Haven't You Heard?
  • Optimistic Owl
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Awards
Re: Some of my writing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »
Holy cows! For being 'new' at this, you're really good. You have an eye and care for detail most newbies don't have, plus you try to connect your readers on an emotional level.

Could do with some sentence variety, that's always been one of my buggers.

But otherwise excellent.
x

Offline Rilin

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Gamer Rodent
    • My Deviantart
    • Awards
  • Species: Mouse
  • Coloring: Brown and Dark Cream
  • Height: 5'4
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:18 PM »
Holy cows! For being 'new' at this, you're really good. You have an eye and care for detail most newbies don't have, plus you try to connect your readers on an emotional level.

Could do with some sentence variety, that's always been one of my buggers.

But otherwise excellent.

Wow, thank you so much! I definitely tried to set a scene that you can picture on both stories, and maybe something the readers could relate too.

And yes haha, I know what you mean, sometimes it frustrates me when I read a finished piece of work, notice that something sounds samey but when I try and change it it makes no sense. I gotta use a thesaurus more. :D

Thanks again for the comments! <3

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
It is above average, so i don't have to throw the regular old stuff that i give everyone else. This one, I will actually have to be more particular.

One thing I noticed is that the first story is so very female focused. That's no bad thing, but you should be careful if you ever want to write things from the male perspective or about male characters. Your first story certainly draws from a lot of film and tv. That scene has two halves. Both halves have been in many tv shows and films, and you've melded it together.
From a technical standpoint, you might be a bit adjective heavy and there's certainly a few adverbs that can be removed. Whenever you think of using an adverb, think twice and consider if there's any other way you can say it. If you force yourself to think of new ways of saying it without adverbs, it will force your writing to be more imaginative and engaging.
As for a drought of ideas, think of what kinds of things you want to say, or what kind of emotion you want to express, or what kind of story you want to tell, and figure out what would fit that. That will decide the characters, which will decide the plot.

As for the penny thing, I think you need a lot more imagery, somethingreally evocative and imaginative. With something that invites open and imaginative thought, far reaching imagery will accentuate everything tremendously.

Either way, you're pretty good for a newbie
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project