The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Starting stories off?  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Ekuamahtava
  • Species: Tiger/kitteh
  • Coloring: White and black
  • Height: 6 ft
  • Weight: 150 lbs
Starting stories off?
« on: August 24, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »
I have a few ideas, but I can almost never start it off. I'm asking if there's any general advice but if there isn't any I can try and give details, I haven't thought everything out yet though.

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
Re: Starting stories off?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 04:43:09 AM »
In most cases you want to start off by introducing the story's "world" one way or another. Whether you do that through straight description, or reveal it through a character's reactions/role in the world, etc. is up to you.

That's not necessarily a "rule" about where to start, but it should be enough to get you going if you don't have other ideas.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
In most cases you want to start off by introducing the story's "world" one way or another. Whether you do that through straight description, or reveal it through a character's reactions/role in the world, etc. is up to you.

That's not necessarily a "rule" about where to start, but it should be enough to get you going if you don't have other ideas.

Thanks, I don't know if it'll apply to mine since it's not really a focus on the world, but I might be able to use it, so I'll just post something about my story, if anyone viewing this has any random tips on generally starting I'll still appreciate it though  ^_^.

So one idea I have is this:

During Rome when the ruling system is insanely corrupt but not many people realize it because of the things the government's done to keep people stupid. One person was a radical who was constantly trying to fix things. This man also had a son. He spent a lot of time working on ideas but still had a healthy relationship with his son. He was eventually discovered and executed though. Then his son, in his devastation, decides to continue his father's work, just a little more extreme....

And that's how the story begins, I could start it at his father's execution, him with his father, after he was devastated and then have random going back to the execution during it, but whenever I pick somewhere I can't start it.

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »
I agree with Zeph that easing the reader into the world of your story (even if it's one we should be familiar with and not need introduction to) tends to be a good idea most of the time so long as you do so in a way that interests the reader and allows you to then jump in and take it wherever. Sometimes the best way is just to jump in and start explaining things as you go along or outright describe some key points but make them more complex later on.
An example intro for the idea you posted above would be:

"Rome. A vast, glorious empire with an iron-fisted rule. A land where the people have been blinded by their own protectors and rulers, their sight removed not with the steel of swords and spears but instead with the gradual, ever sickening pollution to common decency known only as political corruption. Like animals trapped in cages from their birth, the citizens don't realise their own captivity, nor do they seek out freedom or justice from this tyranny.
Most are content to be caged animals, but not all..."

And at this point you could do whatever, either going into a description of the radical or skip to the execution or whatever you like. There aren't any rules or any one way of doing it that's better so feel free to go in a completely different direction to what I suggest.
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline Asia Kali Yusufzai

• Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 50 Topic Starter
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Rabbit
  • Coloring: Hot Pink
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 9 stone
  • Build: GORGEOUS
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:28:51 PM »
The ideas given so far are the literary equivelant of a sweeping view of a camera, like the opening shot of Oblivion, or the first fifteen minutes of Watchmen. It's a lot of exposition in a very small space. A lot of writers avoid this, or try to incorporate it into a more personal or action oriented section. There's one peice of advice that a lot of modern writers take up. Start with something exciting. A death in a murder mystery, the opening action of a tarantino film, or something like that... a particuar one that worked rather well was in the book "Silver Screen" by Justina Robson. It started with an argument about the nature of artificial intelligence... or something along those lines (i haven't read it in a while.) But basically it sets out the world and themes involved, but does it through an exciting situation (a heated argument) involving the main characters. So you get the main things introduced within a paragraph.

For your story, I personally would start at the execution. Normally they're very public events, held in the arena before the gladiatorial matches, and due to the political machinations behind it, there should be a lot of politicians present. We should see things very close to the son's view. He knows why his father was executed and that it was all politically motivated. He watches these politicians smile over the silencing of an opposing voice. The public would also be present, and they should talk about the supposed crime the father was supposed to have committed, completely believing it when the son knows that it's not true. That his father was killed for his actions against corruption.

It can either be in close third person, or first person. Maybe he can have co-conspirators, with more moderate views to contrast against the son.

But again, this is nothing definite. It's all your choice on how you go about things.
"Parents always think kids are wasting their youth, and always have done [so] down through the millennia," says Tom Forsyth of RAD Game Tools. "'That Ug, always holding things. His front paws will develop in funny ways. Why can't he walk on all fours like normal proto-hominids?' And so, whatever the kids spend the most time doing, that's always what parents think is a waste of time, and what is corrupting their lives. It doesn't matter what that is. If all they did was homework, parents would be worrying that their kids aren't becoming well-rounded people. And, in fact, parents do this - enrolling math nerds in karate classes and the like. There is no way to win - parental paranoia ensures that kids are always doing the wrong thing."

Puncia's Foundraising Project

Offline Righteousbro

• Eager Elephant
  • Ekuamahtava
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
Thanks, these are good ideas  :).

Offline tangletail

• Melodious Mouse
    • Awards
  • Species: Lynx
  • Coloring: Grey and black
  • Height: 6' 9" dued to long animalistic like hind legs
  • Weight: 190
  • Build: leath and lanky
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 04:05:19 AM »
My stories normaly start off with a exposition then setting. Some other writers start it off on a charecter completely irrevelant to the story like Elizer Whitney with Moche the Beetle.
I can givz u Triforce? ♥
  ▲
▲ ▲