The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Lines That Get You Started.  (Read 1294 times)

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Winged Siberian Tiger
  • Coloring: White fur with black stripes, sapphire blue eyes, black wings
  • Height: 6'2"
  • Weight: 185 lbs.
  • Build: Tall with lean muscles.
The Lines That Get You Started.
« on: February 25, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
So despite the fact that I've got 2 completed manuscripts to my name, and two more actively in production, I've got myself started on yet another multi-book project. And this one is specifically furry. All of the characters I currently have for it are Anthro animals. ^.^

But what got me started on this was a single line of dialog that just randomly spoke itself in my mind as I read the last few pages of the latest House of Night novel. That line is: "I will raze the whole of existence to find you again!" From that single line, I've birthed an entire series.

Has anyone else had a story come to them this way? If so, then what was the line that did it? :)

I also have another line I want to share, and this one I got just last night: "It's not about the color of your fur. It's about the color of your heart."
It's not as powerful out of context, but it's still one of my favorites. :)
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
Re: The Lines That Get You Started.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
I had a similar thing happening a few years back, although it never turned out into anything.

I saw a dinner for two, a long table, a fireplace and a man that obviously had the upper hand telling his guest, a woman that he knew she was lying.

It later became an idea for a vampire themed story (note that this was long before the latest vampire wave happened..), with a girl that was terminally ill and had given up on life, but later met this man and thought it might save her but he refused to help her other than give her a good time before she died and stuff.. I never finished the plot enough to even write it but there you go.

Also, you seem like a talented writer, I like both those lines.

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »
I had a similar thing happening a few years back, although it never turned out into anything.

I saw a dinner for two, a long table, a fireplace and a man that obviously had the upper hand telling his guest, a woman that he knew she was lying.

It later became an idea for a vampire themed story (note that this was long before the latest vampire wave happened..), with a girl that was terminally ill and had given up on life, but later met this man and thought it might save her but he refused to help her other than give her a good time before she died and stuff.. I never finished the plot enough to even write it but there you go.

Also, you seem like a talented writer, I like both those lines.

Aww, thank you Puncia. :) Writing, and storytelling in general, are my biggest passions. I actually really like your story idea. It's definitely a book I would read. :)
"Avenged Drunkenfold, Disdrunked, and Drunken Force!" - Mike Wengren, drummer for Disturbed.

Offline Puncia

• The Freaky
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Poster This user has donated to the forum.
  • I am funny and intelligent. And attractive.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Twilight Leopard
  • Height: 9 ft long (274 cm), 7 ft tall (213 cm); tail, 12 ft (365 cm)
  • Weight: 2315 lbs (1050 kg)
  • Build: Stocky
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: *flop* One-man furpile.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:42:38 AM »
I think that maybe 70% of a story depends on the writer. A talented writer can make almost anything a good read, though a bad writer will just damage the story.

Offline WhiteTiger89

• Eager Elephant
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 02:24:33 AM »
I think that maybe 70% of a story depends on the writer. A talented writer can make almost anything a good read, though a bad writer will just damage the story.

Same goes for actors. I've seen great actors do good things with otherwise lousy material.