The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Laptop indecisiveness  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum. Top 100 Topic Starter
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Laptop indecisiveness
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
So, I've finally sold my computer, and need to choose a laptop to purchase as a replacement.  I've narrowed it down to two choices, but I honestly can't figure out which would be better v.v. I'm trying to have it compare/be better then my desktop, so all pros/cons are relative to that, or compared to the other laptop.

TOSHIBA Qosmio X775-Q7270
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214393

Upgrading Pros: Newer CPU, big screen, plenty of space, wicked nice GPU, Sleep and Go for audio and USB.
Downgrading cons: Less RAM, smaller resolution, not Core i7.

MSI GE620DX-278US
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152280

Upgrading Pros: Newer CPU, same amount of RAM, newer GPU, plenty of space, 1080p Resolution.
Downgrading cons: Smaller screen, shorter battery life, not GTX 560m GPU.

Offline flames

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online
  • $ cat /dev/urandom | hd
    • Fur Affinity
    • Hokaze's Place
    • Awards
  • Currently: Alive...
Re: Laptop indecisiveness
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »
I'd say it depends on what you're going to do with the laptop. If you do audio or video RAM is a pretty important factor but then again if you're a gamer and planning on using the laptop instead of a desktop for gaming and actually want decent performance you should go for the best graphics card available. Likewise if you're planning on taking the laptop around a lot, I'd say that even slight differences in size and battery life can make a larger difference than you might expect.
Hmm...I would say that even if you do a lot of video and audio work or play recent games, 8GB of RAM seems excessive for anything but a server. Meh, that's just me though. I'd take a good look at feedback for the two machines and see how each laptop handles temperature-wise. It you are planning on doing intensive tasks and want it to be portable (i.e. actually using it on your lap rather than a table somewhere) then I'd say overheating is something to consider. Seems most laptops these days have pretty inefficient cooling fans
The farewell was premature. My definite stay is not definite. The constants are variable. The greeting was too late.

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:37:13 PM »
I'd say the MSI since it's smaller and therefore more portable. Also it has higher resolution and i7 CPU compared to the i5 on the Toshiba.
Otherwise the specs seem rather equal.

Also I prefer MSI over Toshiba.
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:00:26 AM »
I would go after the MSI as well, same reasons to Timmy's. :P