The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Graphics card issues  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
Graphics card issues
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »
Alriiiight, so I got this new laptop yesterday and it's been going fine up until a few hours ago.
I suspect a windows update did this, because the problem happened immediately afterwards however after restoring to before the update it persisted.

It has an ATI Radeon HD 6720G2 according to the sticker on the laptop, but in dxdiag it tells me I have an ATI Radeon HD 6500M (even before the problem began). So I've no clue really what one it has, though I'm assuming it's the 6720G2 as dxdiag also tells me I have ~3gb of video memory when the sticker also says it has 1gb.

My problem:
Firstly, it'll tell me when Aero is enabled that my computer's performance is running slow - and right after it'll change the theme to the Windows basic theme while saying "The current color scheme has exceeded uts allowed memory so the color scheme has been automatically changed to improve performance". The computer has a quad core processor and 8gb of ram and is brand new, I think that's enough said to say it's most likely _not_ performing slowly even right after turning it on. It seems like the graphics card drivers just don't work or something. I've tried googling for drivers and solutions but nothing really comes up - can't even find a driver download for the matching graphics card on the sticker on the laptop itself.

It also says that I have 2x 6500M's in device manager.

I've tried system restore, rolling back drivers, updating drivers and doing more updates in hope that there'll be a fix but to no avail. I'm really confused, anybody have an idea? I got this thing pretty much exactly 24 hours ago and I'm not quite ready to take it back to the store or calling in someone to take a look and/or repair it.

My laptop is an Asus K53TA.

Also: Aero sometimes works for a little bit, and usually does as mentioned above when I change my desktop wallpaper.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: Graphics card issues
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Sounds like a Best Buy laptop >3>;

Firstly, it says you have the 3GB of video memory because it's shared with your RAM (computers only ever use up to 5GB of the RAM, so the left over is shared with your VPU/GPU)

Secondly, have you tried doing a clean instal of your drivers? That can sometimes help.

Thirdly, the reason it says there's 2x 6500M's, is because the 6720 is a Crossfire (SLI, combination, fusion, etc) of two GPU's in one. I think it's the 6650M and the 6520, which is why it would say you have a 6500, because the 6520 is OEM and isn't exactly standard-issue.

The problem is that one of those is an intergrated card, the other is a dedicated card. And the video problem means that it's just running on the intergrated card, which I'll bet is the 6520.
What you might want to do, is go to Device Manager and go under Display adapters. Mess around there and see if you can prioritize one of the chips. Preferably the other one, the 6650M

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
Re: Graphics card issues
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »
THAT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE NOW.
When this system restore is done I'll try that.
Thank you heaps!