The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: My little band of misfits  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Joe King

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Hooded Cat
  • Coloring: Orange
  • Height: 5' 10"
  • Weight: 175
  • Build: Average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: What's this? JOEKING is Evolving!... JOEKING turned 22!
My little band of misfits
« on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
These are all characters I've come up with, having in mind maybe some sort of humorous, TV-PG type cartoon.  The stars of which would be Joe, and his adopted brother Pocha.

Here's Joe, a prank loving, slightly awkward cat in a hoodie.  Though clearly the more socially adept half of the duo, Joe is not the sharpest tool in the shed.  He knows just enough about any given topic to get himself in trouble, but not quite enough to realize that he's often missing a large part of the bigger picture.  He is the first born son of the King family, followed by a younger biological brother, Tut.  Pocha (the same age) had been a long-time friend of Joe and the Kings, before it was finally revealed that he was living in a crappy inner-city apartment with an uncle who could barely afford to take care of him.  Thus it was decided that he would live with the Kings, and was eventually officially adopted.

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:10:05 PM

This is Pocha Cola, a soft spoken, weird-looking, stout little dog who rarely seems to be wearing any clothes.  Though suffering from some social anxiety, and practically clinical shyness, Pocha is the deeper of the pair, and often the voice of reason in helping to solve Joe's self-inflicted problems.  He is a music lover, and an "A" student, surrounded by a small group of close friends.

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:18:33 PM
K, well, I thought I could just do multiple posts and upload more pictures with each character description, but I guess I can't. @.@   So, I guess from here on I'll just use FA links.

Here's Paul N. Mulleg, a fox, Joe's rival in the art of pranking.  He's like that ADHD kid who you wanted to be friends with in school, but you just couldn't keep up with him.  He seems to get along well with Pocha, but Joe can't stand him.  He's a good kid, and probably deserves more than one- equally awkward- friend, but he's just a little too wound-up to maintain a normal conversation, so he mostly keeps to himself.
http://www.furaffinity.net/full/1647933/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:28:09 PM
Next up is Mike Raphoni, a bat who just happens to be- you guessed it- blind.  He's incredibly insightful for his age, often being the only person Pocha can turn to for advice.  Being blind, he uses a form of echolocation- by singing everywhere he goes.  He's a fan of Three Dog Night, in particular, but he's often heard singing all kinds of 60's and 70's oldies.  Mike's a bit of a local celebrity, due to his angelic singing voice, and his ability to tell who's nearby from the sound of their footsteps.  He wears a sleeveless shirt, and wristbands around his elbows, to keep his wings out of the way.  He sometimes has a cane (though he rarely needs it), usually just as a fashion statement.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1648067/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2030023/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:32:34 PM
Here we have Otto Water, an otter who loves skimboarding.  He's a good friend of both Joe and Pocha, and probably the only one who frequently hangs out with both of them at the same time.  He plays guitar and keyboard, and is constantly trying- without much luck- to put a garage band together.  Always upbeat, and often without a shirt, he's definitely the resident "cool kid" in school.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1727685/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:39:47 PM
Next is Spot DeBal, an admittedly under-developed character (he's in the bottom left of the image linked below).  He's the typical soccer-jock, but seems to share a common sense of humor with Joe.  He gets along with Pocha just fine, but they don't have much to talk about, so they rarely hang out.  Aside from soccer, practical jokes, and hanging out with the other jocks- 'cause, you know, jocks gotta stick together for some obligitory reason- he also goes skimboarding with Otto on occasion.  He's not an especially deep character, but having an athlete in the cast is a major writer's convenience.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1527938/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:46:20 PM
Joe also has a younger brother- Tut King- a shy kid in short shorts.  Both extremely intelligent, and mature for his age, Tut doesn't have many friends of his own, and is largely ignored by Joe.  So most of his involvement with the rest of the cast occurs as he frequently tags along with Pocha, who's happy to have the company.  They make a good team, and are often employed by Joe to do a lot of the research and work that go into his otherwise hair-brained schemes.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1647911/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 05:53:25 PM
Of course, Joe also has parents, who's jobs are- more than anything else- to embarrass him.  Mr. King used to be a greaser, and still sports the gelled-up pompadour, but not much else is revealed about him.  He mostly lets his kids do what they want, but he is attentive, and will speak up if he senses they might be headed for trouble.  Mrs. King has not been drawn yet, but I imagine her to be a relatively open-minded, yet fairly traditional mom.  A modest dresser, and a great cook.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1647921/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 06:05:10 PM
And then there's Phil.  Phil Aemer- an over-enthusiastic dog with an obsession for flip-flops- and the only openly gay character in the cast.  He's extremely ditzy, and... not "effeminate" per se, but certainly eccentric.  He seems to enjoy sarcastically hitting on Joe, just to make him uncomfortable, but then also drops Pocha some strong hints, perhaps suggesting that he's being serious.  Joe is undoubtedly straight, but Pocha's orientation remains frustratingly ambiguous.  Phil gets involved anywhere and everywhere he can- in school plays, on the yearbook committee, putting together school dances and fund raisers- you name it, he's working on it.  He seems to "accidentally" come up with good ideas, often suggesting things for nonsensical reasons, that just happen to be the solution to an unrelated problem.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/1653651/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 06:16:15 PM
This is the last character I actually have a sketch for, inspired by an irl friend of mine.  His name is David Burn (if you haven't noticed yet, all these names are far-fetched puns), a squirrel with a tall and awkward build, and a maniacal drive to build, destroy, and set ablaze all manner of hardware.  He's the go-to guy for help with anything electronic or mechanical.  He's incredibly book-smart, but always hard-headed, often ignorant, and annoyingly stubborn.  David's a bit of a know-it-all, despite the fact that he does NOT "know it all", and beyond a doubt the least well adjusted character, socially speaking.  For his head-butting nature, though, he has a tremendous sense of integrity, and can always be trusted to come through in the end.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3427867/

Post Merge: January 24, 2012, 06:39:28 PM
To wrap things up, there are a couple characters who I have yet to draw, but who do have an intended role in the cast.

One of them is a dog named Caesar Passing (get it- "C's are passing"), an often drowsy and inattentive student who occasionally shares philosophical discussions with Pocha.  He doesn't get good grades (as the name implies), but he's very capable, and perhaps being held back by a dysfunctional home life.

Another one is Ed Eucater, Joe and Pocha's English teacher.  He's a little bit like the hippie teacher from "Beavis and Butthead", but not so much of a push-over.  He relates to high schoolers better than most of the older instructors, and is a favorite among the students and faculty.

Next is April Shauer- a very pretty husky (one of the few regular female characters), with whom Joe is hopelessly enamored.  To make matters even more complicated, she seems to be fond of Pocha- who is entirely obtuse and unaware of her advances- and palpably uncomfortable around Joe.

Last, but not least, April has a little brother- Cole Shauer- an adorable, and malevolent little menace.  He is often responsible for turning Joe's advances toward April into disastrous and awkward encounters, and also tends to cause Pocha great embarrassment- always using his cuteness to avoid being reprimanded in public.  April is almost always stuck babysitting him outside of school, and therefor rarely has the chance to go out on her own.

Post Merge: January 25, 2012, 01:11:31 AM
I am open to critique on the art, btw.  It's all my art, since I can't afford commisions. X3

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:11:31 AM by Joe King, Reason: Merged DoublePost »