The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: IRC Chat help  (Read 1700 times)

Offline Drago

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Rainbow Swagon
    • Awards
  • Species: Drakey Mercury
  • Currently: Shuffling, everyday.
IRC Chat help
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:34 PM »
Seems to be a problem with my connection to the IRC chat here, I stay connected for a few minutes before it times itself out and I can't log back into it due to my username already being logged in.
There is no issue with my actual connection to the internet or any blocking software I have that could cause this.
If any of you could give me some advice on how I could fix this, would be much appreciated :]

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
Re: IRC Chat help
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »
You should make a Helpdesk ticket for this issue.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline Drago

• Vibrating Furby
  • Rainbow Swagon
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:00:26 PM »
Have done, although considering it is a technical problem, it was worth a try to see if anyone has had similar problems.

Offline Vee Katame: His Wolfy

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Werepyre
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Werepyre
  • Coloring: Light blue and white fur & hair, deep blue eyes, black claws, and a dark red tongue.
  • Height: 5'5".
  • Weight: Around 130 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, a little bit of curve at the hips, and a little muscular.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:54:25 PM »
I never saw a ticket made for this by you, but anoni just made one so you might want to reply to it saying that you have the problem too so Tweak knows it's not just one person getting it.

Mini badge/banner art by WingedZephyr

"True love doesn't have a happy ending because true love doesn't end." - Unknown

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:06:19 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^

getting the same problem :P
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Drago

• Vibrating Furby
  • Rainbow Swagon
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 07:30:13 PM »
Oh hey well thanks for doing that for me, although now i'm wondering why my ticket didn't go through. =P

Offline Kyriin

• Melodious Mouse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 07:02:12 AM »
Not sure what you can do about the timing out issue, as it could be a couple of things. You could always try using another IRC client (that is if you are using the on-site mibbit web client), that could be an easy solution. Other than that it could be your internet or simply (and obviously) your connection to the server. As far as I know there is nothing I can help with there.

As for your nick being connected still, there is a way to disconnect it easily. Explanation: the IRC server sends a 'ping' to you every so-often at the same interval (usually something like 30-90 seconds depending on the IRC server's configuration) to see if you're still connected. If your IRC client (for example, the mibbit chat) doesn't reply to the ping the server has sent, it'll think you are not connected, therefore disconnect you. The amount of time between your actual disconnection and when the server may realize you are not connected is the time your nick remains there. You can wait about a minute for it to disconnect automatically, or, you can register your nick which comes with a few security benefits along with the one I'll tell you about, which is a kill command to disconnect any nick you've registered.
If you just type '/ns register password e-mail' into the mibbit chat while replacing password with a desired password and e-mail with your e-mail, it'll register your nick for you. Just remember the password. When you connect you can '/ns identify password' to 'log in' (commonly just called identifying yourself). Now here is the bit that will come in use for you here: /ns ghost nick password. Replace nick and password with the corresponding credentials and your ghost nick should disconnect.

// Those other benefits are also the fact that it makes it harder for other to impersonate you and stuff, people can't steal your nick.

I hope that wasn't too much info... I just like to be informative where I can be. If you want to take up using a different client I can always help with that too, just message me on Skype or MSN - I know I have you on those two and I'd be happy to help you set something up! :)