The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Story in my head...  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Snow Leopard!
  • Coloring: Primarily a blue so pale it's almost white
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 95lbs not including the weight of his fur.
  • Build: Very lean, but enough muscle so as not to look skeletal.
  • Currently: Listening to music!
Story in my head...
« on: July 31, 2012, 05:41:02 PM »
It's kinda hard to explain, but put simply, my story has a lot of characters of high importance, and they have very tightly interwoven relationships. How can I create a plot that will work in this situation?
Many children fear the darkness. The wisest know that this is foolishness; it is the shadows that should be feared.
~Riku Aotsuki
The you you think of as you is not you. The you that thinks of you as you is not you. Who then, desires to become enlightened?
~Jed McKenna

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Story in my head...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »
That's very vague, but I guess you have to try and find what exactly your characters relationships are. Then you need to get your setting, you have many settings to choose from, Steampunk, past, fantasy, sci-fi, cyberpunk, modern, post-modern etc. You need to ask yourself which settings do and don't work for your story, I'd start with the settings that wouldn't work (or you're not interested in) like if your characters have an online relationship, a story set in the medieval times probably wouldn't work out so well. Then once you have your setting you need to see if there could be some initial conditions based on what you already want your characters to be and based on what the setting is. Lets say you have a shopkeeper who hangs out with a friend, but you picked the medieval setting, well then that shopkeeper could be a blacksmith. Then you can add onto their individual stories and say maybe he is a blacksmith for a family of 2, trying to make ends meet. I think that it's important to have one centralized theme though, something that all the side stories somehow relate to, lets say the theme was a treacherous king, then the blacksmith could be finding it hard to pay for his family due to all the kings taxes. A centralized theme I believe is very important, the characters relationships should add the depth to the story, but you need the basic skeleton that those side stories relate to. Once you have the setting, the initial conditions and the centralized theme, you need to have a complication in the centralized theme (and the relationships). A story isn't interesting if something bad or unexpected doesn't happen at one point, so you need to think of what your complications could be, in the case of the medieval story, maybe the a rebel group for the king has arisen and the blacksmith is with the rebel group but his lover is with a follower of the king. Once you have all that, you finally need to make a conclusion or resolution, something has to happen, people usually prefer good endings, but with a bit of a bad touch to it. For example, the treacherous king is overthrown by the good rebels and the land is saved, but the blacksmith's wife leaves the blacksmith and is banished out of the land. It's both good and bad.

I hope that helps.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:05:45 PM »
It does, thanks. I've been trying to avoid hitting a major cliche, but it isn't working very well, haha.
Many children fear the darkness. The wisest know that this is foolishness; it is the shadows that should be feared.
~Riku Aotsuki
The you you think of as you is not you. The you that thinks of you as you is not you. Who then, desires to become enlightened?
~Jed McKenna

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 50 Poster
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
I think a good way to not hit cliche's is try using a setting not many people use.

I wrote a short story that was set in an online forum XD

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:48:46 PM »
Haha, nice. Mine's pretty unusual, but by its nearly utopian nature, it's hard to introduce a core conflict. It's a place populated mostly by people from another dimension, where almost every shred of nature has been obliterated. They went voluntarily to be around and in nature forever. People pretty much live until they want to die, and are taught wisdom, melee combat, magick combat and misc uses if they have the talent, and just normal stuff too. So most people there are both highly intelligent and very dangerous. But the also have a very solid "moral system" though it isn't really one. It's a code titled "Universal Law" and it keeps harsh conflict to an unnoticeable level. See what I mean? A couple characters have mini-conflicts, but they aren't anything that could be escalated.
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
    • Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
Maybe a natural disaster, a catastrophe that would be out of these peoples control?

Offline Riku Aotsuki

• Boisterous Bear
  • Who...am I...?
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:27:18 AM »
I thought of that, but it would be hard to implement what with the resident mages and all.
XD
~Riku Aotsuki
~Jed McKenna