The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Anti-people  (Read 1885 times)

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
Anti-people
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:19:30 PM »
THIS IS NOT A RANT, PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO DO SO.

Rather philosophical I would say. Newton said every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Does that apply to life? I rock in U.S. History, but can't get algebra 2 right for nothing.

There's the furry community, then there's anti-furs. I was playing some Mirror's Edge last night when I had a funny thought. I imagined that for every public furry event, there was an anti-furry event as well. Picture this, a convention bustling with  furs. Down the street, a meetup of people all sharing how much they don't want to go to that convention. Afterwards, when everyone's having a good time in the hotel, the (for lack of a better word) haters are in their hotel, using binoculars to watch and talk about how much they hate. XD

Keeping this philosophical, think about the things you hate, and if it's really worth spending your time not liking it. I don't like Justin Bieber, but I don't spend all day talking about how terrible he is. :)
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: Anti-people
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
If you eat Pasta and Antipasta... will you still be hungry?

Most people eventually realise that hating something is not a productive pastime in the long run.
I hate most pop music though I don't complain about it, I just listen to music I do like.
Look at all the people who go around disliking Justin Bieber music... what's the point? Just go listen to music you do like.
Using them as an example though, what would you consider them for taking time out of their schedule to dislike/hate something?
I would say they live pretty sad lives.

I do however like the idea of all the "haters" of the fandom just skulking around outside a furry convention, looking at eachother with disgust as a fursuiter walks into their field of view. There is a reason why this doesn't happen though and that's because it would be a waste of time.

There are some things worth going against, that's what protests are for. Going against Justin Bieber and/or the furry fandom is a waste of time. How many people do you think would SERIOUSLY march to abolish JB from the music world.

There's only one thing I really hate and that's when people walk too slow.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline WingedZephyr

• Monochromatic Friend
  • Administrator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Obtainable by request This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • My art and characters
    • Awards
  • Species: Cagon (cat/dragon hybrid)
  • Coloring: White with black "glove" markings and grey stripes
  • Height: 4' 6" (feral)
  • Build: small, lean
  • Reference: [link]
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 04:44:52 PM »
Generally, when I hate something, I don't actively spend my time hating on it, but only if the topic/person/thing I hate happens to come up in conversation will I stop to express any sort of displeasure about it. Those moments usually don't ruin my day though, and I grumble about it for a few seconds then move on.

I think it's okay to hate things, and to express that displeasure, but life is too short to spend focusing on the terrible things instead of the good things. It shouldn't take up a large part of your time.

Art stream:

** Art commissions currently open **
.: [Prices] :: [To-do list] :.
.: IMVU :: FurAffinity :: DeviantArt :: My website :.

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »
BTW thanks to you two for not ranting (Phew). This topic can turn into that very quickly if people don’t think about their posts.
                Anyway, I've been thinking hard about that feeling that comes after ranting. You might know it, you might not, but everyone has that tiny speck of philosophical thought where some make ultimatums and others get great ideas from it. It’s like this;
Something goes down (Usually negative directed to you)- Some event happens, I’ll use people getting picked on for furriness as an example.
Reaction/Retaliation- This is where it forks out, but I can explain easily. You ALWAYS have a reaction. Even ignoring someone is considered reaction. Retaliation is like a “response-reaction”. Usually it’s getting back in a direct or indirect way.
Okay, let’s skip past the extra (meaning repetition of previous steps) to…
Raving and Ranting- A lot can fit here, from victory celebration, pity parties, depression states, and they can be internal or social. This is where all the posts in the Rants and Raves category can fit.
Cool down- HERE IT IS. Right when you’re done celebrating/arguing /being pissed off, you have a bit of rational/irrational thought that determined where you go from here on out. Ultimatum is the only word I can think of at the moment to partially describe this. Example: after getting home from school, where people made a whole bunch of jokes on you during the latter, you were so mad you couldn't talk to your friend sitting next to you. Finally, you vent a bit to him/her and feel a bit better. You head to your room and plop down on the bed. This is where it starts. You’re alone to process all of this. “I hate those kids so much, they’re probably just jealous of me anyway.”
                And that’s it. You've made up your mind that you think they’re jealous. That something is what it is. Try fitting this into more situations, maybe even some personal ones. This technique has helped me not make those negative “ultimatums” and start making positive ones like the anti-people thing up top.

Please respond if you have any questions or even experiences with this.  ;)

Offline pawz9

• Boisterous Bear
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: White with black or brown markings
  • Height: 6'0
  • Weight: 270 lbs.
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: Never know how or when it’s going to end
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04:00 AM »
I have one exception to the don't actively spend time hating it rule (exception to prove the rule) I dislike most pop and "modern" music and I actively dislike because I am a dj and therefore don't play it
nine out of ten voices want me to sleep the tenth is wondering if penguins have knees

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
                Stealth operative

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:11:42 PM »
I can understand that, it's your choice whether or not you want to like something or not. The real unhealthy problem is if you chose to hate whatever it is rather than just stay away from it. I've had lots of trouble with this kind of stuff before (sibling rivalry is a 100% perfect example of this) and I just wanted to make this aware to everyone.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
In the words of Yoda
"Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering."

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »
OMG Yoda's been around since the 70s and is still giving us advice. XD

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 02:33:15 PM »
I believe the answer to this question lies in the fact that humans are diverse. Diversity is what has caused humans to be as successful as we are and as has also caused humans to generally hate each other or have opposing views.

Everyone has their own opinion, but a lot of people don't realize that a lot of the things they accuse an opposing party for is what they do themselves. For example, not saying anyone in particular does this, but generally people would accuse a furry hater of hate, but at the same time the furries themselves will hate the furry-hater. The furry-hater, as well as the furry, simply has a view on the sub-culture, and a furry has a view on the sub-culture of a furry hater. Now you might say that the views are different because a furry is simply enjoying their own life-style without interfering with anyone elses lifestyle, while the furry hater is actively trying to change somebody elses lifestyle. This is kind of true, but you have to realize that to a furry-hater, acting like a furry around them is AGAINST their lifestyle and by saying "simply ignore it" or "enjoy it" you are actively trying to change their lifestyle like they are trying to change yours. Now if you say that simply being around someone who acts different doesn't affect your lifestyle, I'd offer the thought experiment of what if a couple had sex right in front of you in a public place. No doubt that would make you quite uncomfortable because by doing that they are effecting your lifestyle.

In no way am I condoning furry hating, I dislike the idea of furry hating personally and i think it should never be done. But what I'm highlighting is that when ever you have two groups with opposing views, from a completely third party perspective, these opposing views will both be, essentially, equally valid (when they have to do with morality and social issues especially). It's up to social processing, culture, possibly genetics and up-bringing that changes which viewpoint is considered valid or better, but because these things change due to diversity, you will get different viewpoints and because both parties have valid reasons in believing in these viewpoints (at least relative to themselves) they will see the other party as illogical and will find the other party tackling their ideals which causes hate.

As for your quote, I would say it isn't necessarily true. "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction", in terms of society I would have to disagree with that statement. For one thing, some issues are very complicated and there might not necessarily be just two viewpoints on the issue that are directly opposite each other, as well, it's hard to define in some cases whether two viewpoints ARE the direct opposites of each other. It could be argued though that theoretically there would be one person, somewhere, that would always believe the opposite of what someone, somewhere else, believes. So the more important thing is equal and generally, people believe things in varying degrees of magnitude. So I don't believe that EVERY action would have a grey area, though of course it isn't necessarily UNTRUE because there is a theoretical situation where there is a person who believes in the exact same magnitude, in opposite direction, to a belief as you. However, all of that seems unlikely, so I'd say the statement is unlikely but is not necessarily untrue.
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Sirius

• Avid Aardvark
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolff
  • Coloring: Black/grey/blue
  • Height: 6'1
  • Weight: 220
  • Build: Heavyweight
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:08 AM »
I fight for equality and fair treatment of all. We should all be allowed to learn and decide for ourselves not matter how different they may be. The golden rule, if i want to be able to be a furry and not be shunned then i need to allow those that hate to be open and accepted about their beliefs. Yin and Yang we need both and we can get along. People get so hostile when you question their views but i think it should be the opposite. I love hearing someone else's input and thoughts it opens up new worlds to me and makes me a wiser and kinder person.