The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: [Buildlog]  (Read 1215 times)

Offline TechRoo

• The furry Programmer
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Your anthro programmer...
    • Homepage
    • Awards
  • Species: Kangaroo
  • Coloring: blue / green
  • Height: 6'3 / 1,91M
  • Weight: 154Lbs / 70Kg
  • Build: Sporty/bouncy
  • Currently: Oh no.... This IS my happy face.....
[Buildlog]
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:23:08 PM »
Well, unfortunatly its that time again. The time every gamer dreads... absolete hardware.

And when we i started dismanteling my old tower, i realised how much i hated closed cases. Its a nightmare to drain the system (i allways watercool my PC,s), and disconnecting hoses is sometimes near impossible. So the decision was made, i will design my own bench case.....

Bench v1.0

The hardware is the easy part, ill keep the old Asus Rampage Extreme and I7 990x since they are still fast enough to work with. Also the 16Gb 1600Mhz Kingston memory is fast enough.

Since my old graphics card is heaving trouble running the newest games its time to check out the new lineup from Nvidea. And after seeying the GTX Titan my mind was pretty much made up, i need two of those :) .

The rest of the parts will be renewed, a complete partlist shown below:

Specs:
Case - Custom designed bench case
PSU - Antec 1200W
Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme, Black Edition
CPU - Intel Core i7 990x Extreme Edition
RAM - 16 GB of Kingston 1600MHz
GPU - 2x Nvidia Titan
Sound - Asus Xonar
Storage -2x 265Gb SSD
Cooling:
  • 2x EK 240XT (2x120mm)
  • 1x Black Ice SR-1 (1x140mm)
  • 2x EK Tube Redervoir
  • 1x Aqua-computer flow meter
  • 2x Swiftec MCP35x pump

Post Merge: August 31, 2013, 08:44:52 PM

The design & parts

Since i had a general idea of the case in my head, it did not take much time to get a initial design on paper (Well... on the screen in this case). I decided to draw everything in a 3D CAD program called Autodesk Inventor.

After a few design revisions i came up with the design below:

After ordering the parts at a plastic and a steel supplier i held my breath, i had never ordered parts before and was hoping i did not make any mistakes. But fortunatly it all turned out fine and i received my parts last week.

-- Front panel --
After doing some aluminium polishing and spraying on a few coats of clear
lacqueri had a beautiful front panel

-- Quick assembly --
Since the case itself bolts together i decided to assemblt it to check some of the mounting holes. Its better to find out flaws now then after i get it powder coated... and it turned out i had some flaws. But no problem cant be fixed with a drill and grinder, do after a couple of minutes the thing went together.

Tomorrow ill order the last nuts n'bolts and watercool fittings that i forgot to order before.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:46:21 PM by Caboose »
-Trixsie Vixen "Chuck Norris called me Skippy once...  Once!"

Offline Timmy Fox

• The Royal Cutefox
  • Yellow Yak
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Received through special limited time events Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Squeak~
    • Discord
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Royal Cutefox
  • Coloring: Orange, white and dark brown
  • Height: 23 cm (~9"quotquotquotquotquotquotquot)
  • Weight: 5 kg (~11 lbs)
  • Build: Small, fairly average
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Chasing a wild pie
Re: [Buildlog]
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »
Really nice! :D
Proud to be a furry!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline TechRoo

• The furry Programmer
  • Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
    • Homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »
Well, a little update.

I got the watercool block on the titan and it looks awesome.... only thing i'm kinda bummed about is that during the disassembly of the air cooler i found out the TITAN text on the side is illuminated. Some kind of EL foil. I am still looking on doing something cool with it.

Also received the nvidia logo's that will go into the EK tube reservoirs. They turned out allright eventhough it is only 1mm steel.

And lastly, i also test mounted the excalibur fans to one of the EK240 rads, looks kinda spacy.

Offline TechRoo

• The furry Programmer
  • Boisterous Bear
    • Homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
Aaaand another update,

Got around to fixing the led strips in the plastic parts.

Looks good  :)