The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: HALP! P.C. keeps randomly turning off.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
HALP! P.C. keeps randomly turning off.
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »
My pc's been doing this thing where it randomly powers down, usually after a few minutes, but sometimes hours. No pattern really.

It doesn't seem to be overheating, the thing can be cold when it happens.

I've checked for virus/malware with MalwareBytes, and my friend sent me ComboFix when it got really bad.

When it was bad it would turn off after a couple minutes.

After ComboFix, it took a few hours but is starting to happen faster again.

The thing that makes it really weird is that ComboFix helped, which to me means it's probably a software thing.

I have no idea why this is happening.  Anyone have any ideas? I've googled it, but they always say "It's just overheating" and that's about it.

Forgot to specify, it doesn't Shut Down it literally just powers down like it got unplugged. I imagine it is not good for it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:31:04 AM by BillyBobJoeGeorge »

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug Top 10 Topic Starter
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: HALP! P.C. keeps randomly turning off.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 04:48:29 AM »
I know this is a pretty obvious solution but it's happened to me before and this is usually the case. Your power adapter might be loose, as in the plug that plugs into your computer (or the one that plugs into a power socket) could be loose, which means if you nudge something the wrong way it'll disconnect for a fraction of a second (causing your computer to turn off) and then reconnect. Another issue could be the power supply, which would be quite a problematic issue and might mean you need a new computer (certainly if it's a laptop)

I don't think it's a software issue, software doesn't usually turn the power off, windows or whatever OS your on has special error handling to make sure that wouldn't happen.

• Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline ArcticKitsune

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox (Feral)
  • Coloring: White/Blue
  • Height: 2' (At the shoulder)
  • Weight: 55 LBS
  • Build: Sleek and muscular, hidden by a thick coat of fur
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Wandering Aimlessly
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:25:00 AM »
Power supply is the second thing i would check, after CPU temps. I had a similar problem with mine (Custom built by me), and bought a new power supply (and aftermarket CPU cooler, just cuz). Mine is a year and a half old and still runs like adream,10-15 second boot.
I'd start with the cheap options of checking for loose screws holding your power supply in. Run a temperature monitoring program and watch CPU temp over the couple of hours that you can keep it on. Unplug your power cord and make sure none of the connections are loose. All free possible fixes.
If everything checks out there, then your power supply may be failing, and replacing it would be cheaper than buying a new computer.

If your are running a store bought computer, then it is probably running some cheap OEM power supply, which may or may not be available for individual purchase. If you can't get the same power supply then check that whichever one you do consider getting has the connections you need (which, if it is a store bought PC it probably only uses main power (24 or 24+2 pin) auxilliary power (these come in different setups, check your motherboard) USB, HD Audio, and 1 or 2 6 or 8 pin PCI-E cables, if it has a graphics card.)

This is what i would check, and the options i would consider. I am not telling you to do these things. Just to give them some consideration.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:23:07 AM »
If you could be more specific about what kind of computer it was, that would be a big help.

I have this problem with my Toshiba Qosmio. It happens at random, and it's due in part to faulty manufacturing. TL:DR version; there is a screw that is actually just barely making contact with the power button, but what it does it creates a hard-shutoff.

If you're running a desktop, my first thing would be to completely break it down. Get everything out of the case, and put it back together on a hard, preferably wooden flat surface. While you're doing that, make sure to only plug in the bare-minimum; Power Supply, CPU, One stick of RAM, and a graphics card if you need it to get video. I would say forego the hard drive the first time, just to see how long it'll run before shutting itself down. Your computer can be turned on by simply using a screw driver, and connecting the two power-pins that would normally have your power button plugged into. Afterward, plug in your hard drive and try to run normally, and see what happens. If it doesn't shut down after the longest you've known it to, then start adding more of your hardware to the machine. Any extra RAM sticks, hard drives, etc. If nothing happens, get it all back into your case and try again. If it happens, then it's either a power button fault, or perhaps a contact on your case yourself that's being made with your main board.

If it's a laptop, well, I can't really say much about it unless it's a Toshiba brand laptop. Hope this helps to some degree.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:28:53 AM »
Sorry for making a scene, it was just the power supply.  :$
The one that came with my pc (prebuilt/storebought) was too weak for the provided hardware.
I've ordered one with better spex, it should be fine now.
I'll make another scene if this doesn't work. XD

Offline ArcticKitsune

• Vibrating Furby
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Arctic Fox (Feral)
  • Coloring: White/Blue
  • Height: 2' (At the shoulder)
  • Weight: 55 LBS
  • Build: Sleek and muscular, hidden by a thick coat of fur
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Wandering Aimlessly
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 03:40:01 AM »
Glad to see you have come up with a solution, post again if it doesn't fix the problem. Can only do so much via internet, but as an amateur PC builder i like to jump on troubleshooting issues as its good practice for my side business.

Also, if you ever look into putting a custom machine together yourself feel free to hit me up for parts suggestions, or any other info you might need regarding putting together your own rig.