The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Why I don't like adventure time  (Read 2820 times)

Offline King Lozar

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • 85% of all statistics are wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Skunk
  • Coloring: Black and white
  • Height: 1 foot 7 inches
  • Weight: 20 Kg
  • Build: Small slim body, long hansome tail
  • Currently: Sitting in throne
Why I don't like adventure time
« on: December 22, 2013, 06:32:27 AM »
I'm not sure if any of you remember but a while ago I started a thread regarding what you thought was the worst TV show and some people were surprised to find that I am not a fan of adventure time. And frankly the explanation I gave them was very vague and ill constructed. I feel as if the adventure time fans that I confused deserve a better explanation. In my original explanation I was just trying to give a brief response to vent how I feel. Now I am giving you a full explanation so you can truly know why I hate the show. This thread will be divided into two parts. The first part is what I don't like about the show. The second part will be what I would change to improve the show and make it good, because this show has a strong foundation that makes it salvageable. So without further delay lets get started

Topic #1 animation: The animation in this show is not up to par. The characters all have bug eyes and spaghetti appendages. The facial expressions of the characters are also poorly done. There are scenes when a character's mouth moves between his/her eyes. The whole thing looks like it was drawn by a 4 year old. Animation doesn't necessarily make the show. South park has god awful animation, but because the content of the show is entertaining it is a good show. Animation isn't the sole reason I hate this show, There are plenty others.

Topic#2 Characters: The characters in this show are either selfish, annoying, or dumb. None of which is fun to watch
Finn: Finn is the main character of this show. He wears some kind of cat/wolf/rabbit hat for whatever reason. Finn is definitely the worst character on this show. He is annoying, he screams, makes annoying faces, and says annoying stuff (Ex. What the math) His voice really adds to the pain of his annoyance. He is also stupid.He legit said in one episode "I am all about stupid". This basically implies that he  just goes headfirst into whatever problem he encounters without logic or planning and expects it to work, this is part of what makes this character uninteresting. For a "Hero" Finn can be pretty mean and selfish. There is one episode where he wanted to KILL the ice king because he couldn't sleep. There is another episode when Finn was turned into a giant foot, he met up with a bunch of other people who were turned into appendages and he wanted them all to work together. He did so by pushing everyone around and threatening to destroy someone. A real hero can lead by persuasion rather than threats and force. This character is annoying, dumb, mean, and certainly no hero.
Jake: Jake is actually somewhat likeable. He is loyal, helpful, friendly, and has a good sense of humor. One problem I have with him is that he is also selfish, at times even more than Finn. Another thing about Jake that I don't like is his butt jokes. Other then that though I have no real problem with Jake.
Ice king: I really want to like this character, but I just can't. He is too bland. I understand that they were going for a funny villain like doofenshmirtz or the dude from lazy town who lives underground. Those are actually my favorite types of villains. But the writers didn't put enough into the ice king's character to pull it off. Instead he just seems like a depressed bachelor with superpowers.
Princess bubble gum: The voice of reason that is always ignored, Like Wanda from fairy odd parents.
Marceline: Generic Goth/vampire character with little to no personality.
Lumpy space princess: Why is this character even in the show? She does little to nothing. And why does she sound like a guy. Jimmy neutron is voiced by a female and she makes an effort to sound masculine. Here LPS's male voice actor makes no attempt to sound feminine what so ever.
These characters are all generic and not well developed

Topic# 3 Humor: The humor in this show is similar to that of other low budget kids shows. Farting, pooping, peeing, vomiting, sex. Things of that nature. The writers make no effort to have witty or well executed jokes. They follow the Seth McFarlane formula and throws in random farts to stir up some cheap laughs.

Topic#4 Writing: The writing in this show is cheap and poorly executed. What is the backstory behind our hero Finn. One day he was taking a crap, he fell into his own crap, nobody would help him, so he decided to become a hero. What kind of backstory is that? That's a worse backstory than the Atlantean's in Atlantis squarepantis. The episode plots are full of so many clichés and cheap endings. It just seems like the writers aren't trying that hard.

Topic # 5: Morals: From this show you can learn... Being stupid is the best way to do something, Force and threats work better than persuasion, and planning and logic never work, always just wing it.

Topic # 6: weirdness: This show is too weird. What frustrates me is that its weird for the sake of being weird. Why are there talking candy people, Why are there talking buildings. There is creative weird, and there is weird for the hell of it. Creative weird takes some thought and creativity. Weird for the hell of it can be done by anyone in 5 seconds. This aspect of the show also exemplifies how much effort was not put into the show.

Topic# 7: Fans: This isn't necessarily the show's fault but what is with the fans. They act like not liking this show is some kind of federal offense. You can't so much as say you don't like the show anywhere on the internet without hoards of fans trolling you like rust on a muffler. When I read reviews on the internet a lot of them intelligently explain what is wrong with the show and typical responses are not so (ACTUAL YOUTUBE COMMENT: Adventure time iz awesome, U suck **censor** U) immature show, immature fans, I suppose that makes sense. The ridiculous fans are a bit of icing on the cake about why I dislike this show

So that was my part 1. Agree or disagree, I would like to hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:38:21 AM by King Lozar »
  • Avatar by: Myself using microsoft paint
  • Signature art by: Myself
Bow to thee who smells worse than all others

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Re: Why I don't like adventure time
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
Apparently you haven't noticed the irony in the show's whole presentation. XD It's meant to be stupid.

Even if I can't relate, I can understand why you would hate it.  :/ The show isn't made to be taken seriously, and it seems you wanted shows that well, can be taken seriously. It's as simple as that.

0h, and one more thing: the animation is meant to look like that, it's just the way the artist likes to animate; simple and wonky.

Offline Alistair

• Resident pink saber
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 10 Topic Starter
    • Discord
    • Awards
  • Species: Smilodon Populator
  • Coloring: Strawberry, cream, and black
  • Height: 7'2"
  • Weight: 350lb
  • Build: Stocky
  • Currently: Fortnite dancing into the inevitable future
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
Also, you didn't start the thread.

I did.

You simply just posted there.
Royal Saber floof mane the first

Sir Sabering the first

Offline HyenaKing

• rock out with your cute out
  • Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Poster Top 100 Most Online
  • shut up, you're a dream
    • Awards
  • Species: what u think
  • Coloring: whiteish
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Build: sheesh
  • Currently: writing.
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 03:46:52 PM »
Agree

Its the formula for immature child attractant.
wired as right now

Offline MaskaTheOtter

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
  • Still, The last Naturologist in the world.
    • Awards
  • Species: River Otter
  • Coloring: Light Brown
  • Height: Anthro: 6' 2" Feral: 42"
  • Weight: Anthro: 170 lbs Feral: 25 lbs
  • Build: I am fit and strong, great swimmer
  • Currently: Swimming
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 06:03:46 AM »
Agree

Its the formula for immature child attractant.
The worst part is when older teens get really into it and have it be there focus of existence :( [size=78%] [/size]
I am back. Please message me!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
The one pilot that is crazy enough to fly anything!

Offline Marcus

• Chatty Cheetah
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • This user has left!
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »
Meh, I hated it at first. Now I can watch it and find it entertaining sometimes.

1: The animation is made to look like that. It's designed to give people a simplistic art design to leave them to imagine what they wish, if they wish. And it saves money and time between episodes. We gotta remember it wasn't designed to be an art festival.

2: Satire against common fairy-tales.

3: You have to remember, it is a children's show. It's not aimed at the adult audience, and sadly that is the comedy children/teens are obsessed over these days.

4: It can be viewed as satire. And honestly, could you do better?

5: Morals in modern children's tv are often thickly veiled, IF they have one. They don't need one to be entertaining. It's entertainment, not a state-sponsored children's propaganda program.

6: It's designed to be weird, fairly confident the creators INTENDED it to be weird for the sake of weird, and have stated such.

7: If you've ever met another furry in real life, or been to a convention, or been ON THE INTERNET, you should know there are those that criminalize 'haters', troll others with it, being a furry is pretty arguably immature (But isn't some immaturity fun?) and I'd also guess there is a large portion of immature furries.

It's a children's show dude. :P Not to mention you can't assume the entire fanbase is bad because of the ones you notice, who are generally not the picture the majority paints. (Once again, furries.)

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) Top 50 Most Online
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 07:56:30 AM »
Meh, I hated it at first. Now I can watch it and find it entertaining sometimes.

1: The animation is made to look like that. It's designed to give people a simplistic art design to leave them to imagine what they wish, if they wish. And it saves money and time between episodes. We gotta remember it wasn't designed to be an art festival.

3: You have to remember, it is a children's show. It's not aimed at the adult audience, and sadly that is the comedy children/teens are obsessed over these days.

5: Morals in modern children's tv are often thickly veiled, IF they have one. They don't need one to be entertaining. It's entertainment, not a state-sponsored children's propaganda program.

6: It's designed to be weird, fairly confident the creators INTENDED it to be weird for the sake of weird, and have stated such.

7: If you've ever met another furry in real life, or been to a convention, or been ON THE INTERNET, you should know there are those that criminalize 'haters', troll others with it, being a furry is pretty arguably immature (But isn't some immaturity fun?) and I'd also guess there is a large portion of immature furries.

It's a children's show dude. :P Not to mention you can't assume the entire fanbase is bad because of the ones you notice, who are generally not the picture the majority paints. (Once again, furries.)
Applause  :D

Offline King Lozar

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »

You make some good points, and I understand where you are coming from. I still feel like the writers could do better with the characters and plots, and maybe put a little creativity into the weirdness instead of just randomness. I know that not all adventure time fans are like that, I am just sharing my internet experiences. There are ridiculous fans of everything. I know this show isn't supposed to be educational, but when you say something like "let's be stupid, forever" it is hard to believe that kids wont take that to heart. When I post part 2 maybe you will be able to see my side a little more.

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 02:48:05 PM »
I don't know if this makes me the odd one out, but I don't have any strong feelings about the show at all.  I'll watch it if it's on but wouldn't go to any trouble.  When I do watch it though I can't shake the feeling that it really isn't aimed at kids at all.

Mostly I just feel a little uncomfortable at some of the weird stuff.

However, the theme song:  I really like that dumb little tune.  It just sticks in my head!

I dunno about your reasons for not liking it as such, but I don't think you should *have* to justify it.  You should certainly not be treated badly for not liking it!  But there you go, that's the internet for you  XD

Offline King Lozar

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 01:22:09 AM »
Now here is part two. What I would change to make the show better,  Because even fans think the show could use some minor tweaking. Here are the changes

Change # 1: Eliminate unnecessary characters: This change mostly focuses on Marceline and LSP. They have bland personalities and don't do much. The writers need to either define these characters and use them more, or scrap them

Change # 2: Change voice actors: This change mostly focuses on Finn and the Ice king. I don't believe their voice actors do a good enough job of fitting with the character's personality. I would change Finn's voice actor with Jimmy neutron's or double D's. I would replace the Ice king's voice actor with doofenshmirt's or the villain from lazy town (I forget his name). I feel as if these voice actors would be more fitting for the characters.

Change # 3: Improve the writing: The writers opt to much for clichés and cheap endings, and episode plots are usually anti climactic and recycled. Plus the jokes are low brow and simple and the characters are not real developed. I think these writers could really make the show good if they tried a little harder

Change # 4. Clean up the animation: It doesn't have to be 100% perfect. But the spaghetti appendages and god awful facial expressions need some attention

Change # 5: Tone down the weird: It is a fantasy show, so it is going to be weird, that's the point of the fantasy genre. But it's excessively weird and in all of the wrong ways. In good fantasy the weirdness is used as a breeding ground for the plot and characters to develop, and is used for build up. Here the weird is just thrown in for the sake of it, I could think of a flying raccoon that shoots cheese out of its nose in 5 seconds, random weird is not creative, weird that builds up and helps develop the plot and characters is. The writers are creative enough to come up with weird that works, they just don't try.

Change # 6: Finn: I want to home in on this character the most because he is the focus of the show, and because he has the most problems out of all the characters. Aside from making his voice not annoying I would also come up with better catch phrases (Are they trying to make kid's think math is cool, because if they are its not working.) I would make him smarter so that he uses logic and planning and stops saying stuff that makes me face palm (lets all be stupid, forever). I think that if they made Finn the smart guy who always has the plan and Jake the dumb sidekick with the muscle I think they might be able to make that work. finally I would make him more hero like. Make him less selfish and brute.

So that is my part 2. Both fans and haters agree that the show could use a few changes. So what changes would you make?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:24:26 AM by King Lozar »

Offline William Dynwood

• Dancing Dragon
  • awards This user has donated to the forum. This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Oh believe me, I'm still alive
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey
  • Height: 5' 11" (180 CM)
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: slightly muscular, lean, agile and strong
  • Currently: Statusses are as statussy as statusses can probably get
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 01:36:44 AM »
Its not only Adventure time that is annoying, I think Most of the nowaday cartoons are shitty. The thing I hate the most is all the unnecessary Screaming of the Cartoon characters, and I know thats something which has always been around in cartoons, but Cartoons these days are stuffed with it.
One does not simply click here

Liquicity Amsterdam, Here I come

Offline Maine

• Eager Elephant
  • Cheers, big ears!
    • Awards
  • Species: Hare
  • Coloring: Navy blue.
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 64kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: NOTHING. <w<
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:50:48 PM »

Adventure Time is very much an acquired taste, and if you don't have the time or effort to put in, you can easily be turned away. Which is okay, I can totally understand.

I think Adventure Time is a lot more 'artsy' than most children's programming. I fact, I've always thought that some of the themes and features were far too complex for a younger audience to comprehend. But I suppose it comes with two levels;
There is the light and silly aspect which appeal to the young, and the deeper plot and mystery that appeals to the old. I guess it's just what you choose to tune into. But the fact that it's such a long ongoing series, I understand that it's difficult to tune into those things.
(Just out of curiosity, can I ask those who aren't fans, how much of the show have you watched?)
{not digging, just personally curious.}

The rather erratic nature of the show seems to be another point that people seem to either love to loathe.
I will agree that it's on the FAR, FAR side of the contemporary field,  and not at all conventional.
From what I've read, the production team uses D&D as a heavy asset, both in influence and production.
The erratic nature could most probably be attributed to this; the writers literally create settings and then throw the characters in to play.
I personally adore this; far too often settings are tailor made for characters, with a focus on what they will do, not what will happen.

It's just a different way of expressing their ideas.
and the most outstanding effect from this technique, I feel is the child-like imagination, that is oh-so hard to tap into as it is.
The Wikipedia page is well worth a read on this subject.

And also, the only major beef I have is from the following statement:

Topic # 5: Morals: From this show you can learn... Being stupid is the best way to do something, Force and threats work better than persuasion, and planning and logic never work, always just wing it.

The show is chock full good morals and healthy ideas, not always on the latter I will admit. But I'm still not totally convinced this show is entirely meant for a young target audience. Anyways,

I'll quickly list a few, otherwise I'll be here all night >w>:

Healthy Ideas:
1. BMO is a gender fluid character. I'm not sure I've ever seen such gender fluidity expressed in mainstream programming.
2. The possible implication of a homosexual relationship. Which is widely celebrated within the fandom.
3. Marceline's tolerance and loyalty to Ice King, after his incident similar to Alzheimer's.
4. The breakdown of gender roles and ideals throughout the series.
5. Inter-racial relationships.

Morals:
1. It's okay to fail sometimes, what matters is how you resolve it.
2. Even if someone seems like a jerk, it makes them no less of a person. Learn their story; be compassionate.
3. Stand up for yourself and your friends.
4. Having spirituality and self belief.
5. No one is perfect, least of all Finn.

This is just my two-cents on the topic. I think I appreciate it mostly from an artists perspective. It's nice to see what others think, and I just thought I'd add to the conversation. ^_^

• Avatar by: The lovely (and talented) Nobi! <3

Offline Trixsie Vixen

• Vixen Goddess
  • Global Moderator
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards Received through special limited time events This user has donated more than $50 to the forum. Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.)
  • *Giggles*
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Sherwood Fox
  • Coloring: Like a fire in a blizzard
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight: 80 kg
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: She flies now!?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
^This
Excellent!

Like I say I can take or leave but I think viewing it as 'for kids' misses what they are going for.

I wish the episode with Fionna was it's own series...

Offline MaskaTheOtter

• Noble Newt
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Most Online This user has donated to the forum.
  • Still, The last Naturologist in the world.
    • Awards
  • Species: River Otter
  • Coloring: Light Brown
  • Height: Anthro: 6' 2" Feral: 42"
  • Weight: Anthro: 170 lbs Feral: 25 lbs
  • Build: I am fit and strong, great swimmer
  • Currently: Swimming
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 05:57:23 AM »
I wish the episode with Fionna was it's own series...

Maska Agrees <3
I am back. Please message me!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
The one pilot that is crazy enough to fly anything!