The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A story thingy  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Elisif

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Nap timez
    • Awards
  • Species: zangoose
  • Coloring: red and white
  • Height: 5'9
  • Weight: 49
  • Build: lean
  • Currently: Formal wear... UGH!!!
A story thingy
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
"Mr Clockwork... May I... Ask you a question?"

"Go ahead kid, ask away"

"Erm... What are you?"

The pieces were falling apart. Memories melting like snow in the heat... It's gone...

=                        =

Jogete opened his eyes, the alarm would start ringing at any moment, should at least. Looking at the clock, he realized that there's another hour or so before the city came to life. Might as well see the sights of still life around here.
He put on an overcoat as he stepped out the door. The gears might grind in the light, but the coal fire dies in the dark. The cold pierced through his bone as he shut the door, cutting of the heater's warmth as he did so. It was just like he imagined, the place was dead, though why the government had curfews he didn't know. What he did know was that he just broke the law. It's not like anybody'll know anyway. Everyone's locked in from the so called 'dangers of the night'. Jogete chuckled at the thought. The government loves making stories to scare the citizens, that's what he thinks at least. It's his first time visiting the dead city after all.

"Flip the coin, take a chance, if you win, you just might last" A wolf dumped pieces of cardboard into the fire as she looked at a young feline. "I say tails you fail, so come on up, make a choice" The cougar, no older than 10, pointed at the side which he wanted, heads. "Heads it is, I might say, the coin however, says it nay" The coin was tossed into the air and disappeared in mid-flight into the hands of the wolf. It was tails. "Sorry to say, but you sha'nt stay, so take your leave, you are a peeve" The cougar looked down sadly and handed the wolf a coin. The cougar wasn't living another night "Sometimes I take pity for the street urchins. But in a world like this, money does the talking"

As Jogete turned into the next alley, a kid came out, startling him a little "Whoa, kid. Shouldn't you be indoors with your parents?" The cougar shook his head then looked at the fire at the end of the alley. "How about you come with me for awhile? You look awful" Jogete took out his overcoat and covered the kid with it. He couldn't feel his hands already. "Greetings good gentleman, are you here to game? For as I see it the business life is lame" A wolf in a worn out top hat and torn clothing attracted his attention "Gamble? Sorry you picked the wrong guy" Jogete warmed himself by the fire but was surprised when the wolf snuffed it out faster than what water could do. "You want warmth, I want play. So pick a side, fate shall say" The wolf produced a coin and gave Jogete a deadly glare. "Heads or tails? Pick. A. Choice" The wolf's voice gone deep, Jogete realized that he just met the devil.

"Tails" Jogete gulped as the coin flew in the air, the wolf never breaking eye contact. "Ah, it seems we have a winner" The wolf changed to a peppier tone as she caught the coin and handed it to the fox. The coin had no indentation whatsoever. "You were cheating"
"Indeed I was"
"So why let me win?"
"Because I wanted to"
"That does not make any sense"
"Do I look like the person who makes sense?" The wolf laughed and took out a tinderbox. "Jogete Clockwork, working in district 5 as a machine operator correct?" A fire started, and Jogete felt his blood flow again. "How did yo-"
"What do you think people like me do for a living?"
"Noth-"
"Exactly, so I watch people walk around town, eavesdrop a little, see who does what."
"So that's how you knew I was? Fascinating...."
"Nah, I just slipped this out of your pocket when you weren't looking" The wolf tossed him his I.D. He felt a sudden urge to just run. He didn't know why but... There's something about the wolf that unsettles him. "Going already? I thought you wanted the fire. But of course, you have a heater at home don't you" The wolf lowered her top hat to the point where it covered her eyes. "The name's Pierce, Lucida Pierce. And I'll be seeing you soon"

"Kid why don't you stay at my place for awhile, the place has been empty for quite awhile already. Besides, I need somebody to talk to every now and then" Jogete noticed the sun over the concrete jungle. The light felt warm, comforting. The cougar didn't speak, but nodded shyly as they reached Jogete's home. "You gotta talk someday you know. I mean, I need to know your name, or you'll just be Kid for the rest of your life"

Pull, release, pull. Pull, release, pull. Another day at work, though the job was simple, the pay was rather high. After all, they're one of the only companies who still use manual labor to stamp coins, meaning they have a different look and value. "Hey Jeggo, got ya coffee" A tiger, around twenty years of age, left the cup of coffee on the machine. "Fletcher, you know its against the rules to bring liquids into the machine room right" Fletcher shrugged as Jogeted took a sip. "The boss says the company might have to be sold. You know, old man not having any kids and wanting a nice few years off."
"And you're telling this. Why? It's not like I'm interested in things like these."
"Just saying that you should get a better job. You deserve better"
"As if the pay isn't good enough already"
"Not for long" Fletcher walked out the door carrying a box of his belongings. "We're getting picked off one-by-one, better get something stable while you're still working the machines"

The way home seemed to have lengthened, getting a new job? That's troublesome, but hey, better not risk anything while he can right. Jogete opened the door to his home, wondering how's the kid doing. Hopefully not starving as all he seemed to be eating for the past few days were bread. He took one out from the basket and noticed a few missing. The kid must be a big eater, but he guess food could easily make a person sleepy by seeing how he just slept on the sofa undisturbed. He needed a nap, too. Hopefully he would be able to wake up at the right time this time
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:10:38 PM by Elisif »
  • Signature art by: ME!
The is where I write stuff right? STUFF!

"Everyone needs a rival
Someone who can spur you on
And make you feel invincible
The thrill is irresistible" - Ken Ashcorp

Offline Whitepaw Niniichi/Enigir Shosa

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 100 Topic Starter
  • Eyes on the horizon!
    • Awards
  • Species: A native Australian Dingo!
  • Coloring: Hazel eyes, messy dark brown head hair, orange and white body fur.
  • Height: I keep forgetting~! Heh...
  • Weight: I keep not checking...ehhhheheheh...
  • Build: Lithe, athletic features lent to me by a few years of competitive cycling. Not much clearly defined musculature but I have big legs!
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: What is worse - to think too much or not enough? Both seem abhorrent...
Re: A story thingy
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 03:39:12 AM »
I like it! When's the next bit coming out?
Not to be picky but try to kill off your commas. Like me - and I was (still am?) needlessly cruel to the common comma. Remember to read it is if you're speaking. Stop for a solid second and a half whenever you see a comma. Eventually I used this technique to train myself to write as fluently as I speak. Probably more fluently. Annoyingly losing commas sometimes means restructuring a whole sentence and losing a killer-cool word but hey, the greater good...
That's all I guess. Just trying to be helpful. But I am definitely keen to see the next bit and ultimately where it leads...
XD
  • Avatar by: I am by and large responsible for my own artwork.
  • Signature art by: Moderator Mr. Razot for the FDF logo! YAY MR. RAZOT!

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

Offline Elisif

• Avid Aardvark
  • Nap timez
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 09:55:15 AM »
Forgot that modifying does not make the post un-read... so a reminder?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 04:08:02 PM by Elisif »

"Everyone needs a rival

Offline Elisif

• Avid Aardvark
  • Nap timez
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
It was then that she looked the devil in the eye

"So how long do I have left"

"No time, no time at all"

"Fair enough"

Everything faded away, there weren't feelings or thoughts. It was just a a never ending corridor with no doors

=                        =

"Hey Lucida, 'bout time you pay your bills" A fox,lean built while dressed in a suit and tie, stared at the she-wolf, who decided he's not worth entertaining. "Gimmi a day or two would'ya? It's not like you've got no source of income or anything. Besides, your the richest person in the city. How would my money even matter to the economy" Lucida covered her eyes with her top hat, as if looking at him was a sore sight for sore eyes. "The master's aren't happy with the way you're slacking off... General. And you know what happens when they're not pleased" The fox checked the alleyway, a mass of cardboard boxes were piled up on one side while a pile of tattered clothes littered the other. "Elian, tell those seat warmers that I don't give a f*ck about their shenanigans. If they want things to be done, do it themselves"
"Very well, I'll send them news of your decisions" The fox bowed at stepped back, tendrils of darkness seemed to grab onto him as he faded away.

"Hey kid, found anything good yet?" The constant sound of doors slamming shut can be heard as Jogete went around the house looking for his keys. After what seemed like hours, he looked at the time and exclaimed "C'mon, I have to get there in ten minutes or I'll... Argh screw it, I'm dead anyway" The fennec fox slumped back in his chair, repeating the words that Flecther said in his head "We're getting picked off one-by-one, better get something stable while you're still working the machines" He's getting fired sooner or later huh? Might as well just take the days off until he receives a letter or something. Finding the need to release some stress, he pulled out a carton of beer from the fridge. He just realized that the kid went missing. Not that it really mattered anyway. The kid would probably survive longer in the wilderness of the city than he could've. Just then, there was a knock on his door as his train of thoughts were derailed

The cougar was back at the alleyway. He didn't want to trouble anybody with his misfortune. Nobody wants it. Nobody deserves it. Sometimes he wished he was dead. Little did he know that the shadows were about to grant him his death wish

Deciding that waiting for another second would be too long, Lucida took out Jogete's key and shoved the door open "Don't you have a spare key or something? I mean seriously, you work(I mean worked) as a high ranking human resource manager and yet you don't have spares? How did you get up there? Through bribery and - Oh... Hey" Lucida looked at a knocked out Jogete on the other side of the door and offered a hand. "You know, for someone your size... you hit pretty hard." Jogete got up with her help, bottle of beer in one hand. "How'd you open the door anyway. It's not like you're a thief or anything... Oh wait your a pick pocket" Lucida could smell the alcohol in his breath and fanned the stench away with her hand. "We'll be getting along just fine" She commented as Jogete fell to the floor again, unconscious

"So you're saying that YOU are offering ME a job as your partner and that I don't need to give my current employer a letter or whatever" Jogete questioned with a hint of distrust. How could he even work for someone who lives in the streets? "Pretty much, but I would need to have your full cooperation. Just sign here and the deal is done" Jogete glared at Lucida while she handed him a piece of paper that has everything hand written on it. It wasn't even tidy. "Right, the restrains" She reminded herself and undid the slip knot that had Jogete stuck to the chair. "And it wasn't even a secure and reliable knot"
"Sometimes simple works best when your subject isn't sober enough to realized anything"
Jogete glared at Lucida and looked at the terms:
1. Job might contain minor hazards such as: cuts, bruises and scars
2. Job might contain major hazards such as: broken bones, crushed lungs, organ malfunction and death
3. The employer will not be responsible for any of the above hazards
4. You have to sign this, your future employer has a knife to your neck

"Sounds FAIR enough, I have NO idea on how I could RESIST such an offer!" Jogete exclaimed sarcastically and put down his signature in it designated area. "Great! I thought I might have to use this knife to threaten you a second ago! I'm glad we agree on ALL the terms and I'm sure you didn't leave anything out!" Lucida kept the knife in her pocket and walked out the door. "Work starts at 3a.m. Now go get some sleep" She slammed the door shut and a click could be heard coming from the door. He was locked in. Again.

"Everyone needs a rival