The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Gender Identity Poll  (Read 6551 times)

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
Re: Gender Identity Poll
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »
@Mortimus: I think you're missing the point of what I said. In that wall of text you argued with someone who's against trans-gender stuff n' things, and I'm not. There was no reason to bring up all that, I just said that having some feminine and masculine traits is no reason to freak out. It's normal to break gender stereotypes from time to time. To be honest, I find it abnormal not to!

It just read to me in reference to CoriShep that you were invalidating their identity. If you were saying not to worry about rigidly placing yourself in stereotypical boxes, then I am all for that.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »

If you were saying not to worry about rigidly placing yourself in stereotypical boxes, then I am all for that.

THIS! :D

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING T0 SAY! I'm not the best at explaining my thoughts on this kinda stuff, so I guess my point was lost in translation! I think that titles like "genderfluid" are, indeed, rigid, stereotypical boxes, and what you are should be determined by the individual, not by your predetermined "identity". Gender to me is just the biological trait of being male or female, with a few exceptions. (neutral, hermaphrodite, etc.) Your identity is unique to you!  :)

Sorry if I offended anyone with how I tried to say it before, but that's exactly what I was trying to say. XP

Offline Jack Lionheart

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Hi there! I'm Jack the lion. L=
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Jack's World of Wonder (tumblr)
    • Awards
  • Species: Lion
  • Coloring: Golden-brown fur and darker brown mane
  • Height: About 4 foot on four paws and 6 foot on two paws
  • Build: Relatively slim
  • Currently: I'm doing pretty well. How are you?
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »

If you were saying not to worry about rigidly placing yourself in stereotypical boxes, then I am all for that.

THIS! :D

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN TRYING T0 SAY! I'm not the best at explaining my thoughts on this kinda stuff, so I guess my point was lost in translation! I think that titles like "genderfluid" are, indeed, rigid, stereotypical boxes, and what you are should be determined by the individual, not by your predetermined "identity". Gender to me is just the biological trait of being male or female, with a few exceptions. (neutral, hermaphrodite, etc.) Your identity is unique to you!  :)

Sorry if I offended anyone with how I tried to say it before, but that's exactly what I was trying to say. XP

Okay, I understand where you were coming from now. The trouble is that human nature calls for labels because humans are instinctively afraid of the unknown and feel most at ease when they can organize everything into categories. The reason these non-binary labels exist is because if there are no words to describe an individual's gender identity (which may or may not match that person's physical sex) then people aren't going to take that identity seriously. Labels are a necessary evil.

As far as shoving oneself into a box, who says there is only one way to be any given gender identity? The labels are more of a general category than a detailed description of each individual person's gender identity. Just because someone identifies as male or female or neither or both doesn't mean you have an understanding of that person's unique characteristics.
  • Signature art by: The first little icon of Jack is by glitch on FA and the second is by tropicaltiger on FA.

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »
I think "gender identity" doesn't need to be a thing. To me, gender is just a classification of what bits n' pieces you got. Whether you feel more girly or manly is just based on the individual, so why try to conform to a title?

Giant wall of text, there is a tl;dr at the end though.

It's actually been shown that people who do not identify as the gender they are assigned feel real psychological stress from being called the incorrect gender. I mean, I suppose it's hard for me to understand, because I have not had questions about my gender, but imagine it as if you identified as a female. Now gender is a fluid thing, but some people do exclusively identify as a female, not a male or not a bigender, but specifically a female, and in that case they still can't do a lot of things a normal female can do. One example that is often cited is that a transgender female (that has the sex of a male) has to use a male restroom, it seems kind of a trivial aspect, but there's a lot of psychology that goes into it. You feel alienated from your physical gender and at the same time not accepted by your mental one. Some people truly don't feel just "girly" or "manly" but they truly identify as a girl, whether it be the spitting image of the social constructs of the girl, or their brain is actually wired differently. Regardless, they feel that way [to such a degree] that some are willing to change their entire bodies in order to have their physical and mental gender match. The main thing is that it's not just feeling manly or girly, but it can be such an important aspect for people (and it's not very possible to make it feel not important) that these labels can become more important. Gender is pretty much the same as sexuality, in terms of this regard, and while some straight people can call a guy on TV handsome, there's still a fundamental difference between that sort of non-sexual idealistic attraction, and the sexual attraction that a gay person can feel.

People like labels. People like to be called a nerd, a jock, a cool kid, a tall kid, an American, a gamer, a furry, a brony, people love labels. The reason people love labels is relatively simple, it makes people feel like they can belong. If a label exists for you it means other people match that label, which means you're not alone. There is a contrast to this, where some people try to exclusively fit OUTSIDE of a label, but usually these people STILL fit into labels (notice anarchists tend to stick together) but in general most people like to fit into labels. People like to feel accepted and normal, and if there's no label to identify yourself with, you can feel alone, separate from everyone. If you're a transgender you aren't a man and you aren't a women, because it depends how you define male and female, so without the label of transgender, you feel alone. I'm an advocate of simple labels though, I think it gets a bit too far when you exclusively try to call yourself one thing that is nearly the same as the other, but in the case of transgender there isn't really a label for that.

So basically, tl;dr. Having a differing gender to your sex is not just believing you are manly or girly, it is instead something much deeper, it is comparable to the difference of a straight person admiring a male body and a gay person doing so. Labels are important because they allow people to feel they belong in a community, almost everything is in a label, such as being a gamer, if you do not fit into a label you may feel alone and so people like being able to fit into labels.

Do I agree with the classification of labels? No, ideally people wouldn't worry about that. But I can definitely understand why people do.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Goblin Cat 😸

• Halloween Hellraiser
  • Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter Top 50 Poster
  • It's all fire and brimstone, baby.
    • Awards
  • Species: Bull Were-ier
  • Build: Thick
  • Currently: apprehensive.
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2014, 06:57:54 PM »
When I say don't worry if you don't fit into a rigid box, I mean don't allow a box to cause you stress. Don't make the label dictate who you are. I have seen many folks try to do things to fit in, or stress out when they don't fit entirely into one category or another. I, for one, don't have a specific box for my sexuality, for example, but I use labels that are close to what I am, boxes if you will, and don't worry when I can't find something that encompasses the entirety of what I am. Everyone is different and boxes have wiggle room. Labels are nice for finding people with common intrests or traits, but it's not the end of the world if you're not everything that box requires.