The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Internet friends?  (Read 582 times)

Offline Maine

• Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years
  • Cheers, big ears!
    • Awards
  • Species: Hare
  • Coloring: Navy blue.
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 64kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: NOTHING. <w<
Re: Internet friends?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:26:10 AM »
I say there is nothing wrong with meeting an internet friend IRL, BUT you should exercise ad amount of caution.

Make sure you know the person pretty well (known them for a period of time, voice chatted, skyped, know what they look like, what they do etc.)
If you're meeting someone for the first time make sure you do it in a public place, preferably take a friend. Safety in numbers.

Your friend probably isn't dangerous, and certainly will understand precaution.

Meeting internet friends IRL can be awkward to begin with, people often have different public personas. Just hang in there, you'll work it out!

My mate and I have met IRL, the internet is a fantastic tool for meeting like minded people all over the world! ^w^
  • Avatar by: The lovely (and talented) Nobi! <3

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 02:28:43 AM »
Oh thanks this helped a lot guys, really!! And I would love to tell you all this summer I'm going to comic con in San Diego, and maybe we can meet :3 my kik is WARRIORchick1 and Skype is mythical_gaia
So we can talk about this more and get to know each other until then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Otter Is Cute

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • Murry friend of humanity
    • Awards
  • Species: otter
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 01:04:24 AM »
If you're meeting someone for the first time make sure you do it in a public place, preferably take a friend. Safety in numbers.
In my opinion that could prove to be a little too much. It gives off a vibe about a person's insecurity and it is not a wise choice to make this a tendency. I am not saying one must be bold either. A simple public place meeting without brought/hired muscle should suffice. One would not arrange a meeting with a person he/she has just recently met to begin with.

Offline Maine

• Eager Elephant
  • Cheers, big ears!
    • Awards
  • Species: Hare
  • Coloring: Navy blue.
  • Height: 180 cm
  • Weight: 64kg
  • Build: Athletic
  • Currently: NOTHING. <w<
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 02:07:22 AM »
One would not arrange a meeting with a person he/she has just recently met to begin with.

That last point is debatable depending on the circumstances.

Really depends on your age. This is just something we were always taught back in school, when the internet was a scary new thing.
Considering Gaia is 14, so says her profile, I'd still consider bringing a friend along, even if they just drop you off etc.
Kids these days can be very irresponsible when it comes to the net. Nothing personal to Gaia or anyone else, but teens trust their screen too much. It's also easy to manipulate youngsters, especially when alone.

All I'm saying is that you have a right to feel safe, and that taking a friend is an option.
  • Avatar by: The lovely (and talented) Nobi! <3

Offline Farewell

• Racious Racoon
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 10 Most Online Top 100 Poster
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 02:08:23 AM »
Yea I'm going with my big brother that's 21 :) to be safe :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The Past

• Archmage
  • Tackling Tiger
  • awards Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 10 Most Online
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 10:43:59 AM »
So far I have met two online friends in real life. One is my mate. I knew him for well over a year before we officially became an item and met in real life. It was only awkward for about an hour, after which we felt comfortable and got along just as well as we do on Skype. We're even going to be living with each other very soon!

The second one is my internet "sibling". I've actually been staying with him and his family for the past couple months due to some housing complications. It's been somewhat the opposite in this case. While it hasn't been all bad, we've not been getting along nearly as well as we did on Skype. But I'll be getting into that in a lengthy rant soon, when I find a chance.

Offline BakaFawkes

• Chatty Cheetah
  • It's not personal text if you can read it!
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Dark Fulvous, Reddish hair
  • Height: My height (How tall am I anyway?)
  • Weight: Same as me (still unknown, maybe 160-ish)
  • Build: Average, but nimble, naturally fit.
  • Currently: Totally stressin'
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:40 AM »
The fastest way to make internet friends is through online gaming. I've owned the Xbox One since release, and I already have 127-130 friends and maybe 50 followers. It's just finding your favorite place to socially interact with others. Age has nothing to do with it if you apply yourself directly to whatever is going on (like playing an objective in a video game). Once people see your skills in something; gaming, art, sports, etc. they'll want to know more about you and will become much friendlier.
You don't have to be great to start, you only have to start to be great.

Offline Luceira

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • (Display name was formally Winter (Cylver))
    • Awards
  • Species: Vampire Fox
  • Coloring: Black, grey and red
  • Currently: not Super duper happy D:
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2014, 06:09:15 PM »
This october just past I met a bunch of people I met over Twitter at MCM Comic Con London. It was a little awkward at first but it was nice cause it started with few people then built up, it was no different to how we were in our old skype chat group. Hehe :3