The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Help Fighting Depression  (Read 483 times)

Offline Na-Senpai

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Black White
  • Height: 7'8
  • Weight: 280
  • Build: some muscule on arms and some fat around body
Help Fighting Depression
« on: January 23, 2015, 05:55:35 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm not very active but I was hoping some of my fellow furs could help me today. I struggle with depression it is very strong yes I see a therapist no I don't take medication. I do not have funds to afford the help I think I truly need.
Today has been an extremely rough day that started with a difficult week. I am currently asking if anyone could help me out. I am not in a great mood and I could use any amount of advice or encouragement. Even if you think someone said please I am asking for any and all kinds of help. I am stuck in this and I want to get out as much as I possibly can.

Thank you so much for any support that you guys may give and I hope all of you try to have a fantastic time.

Offline MrRazot

• Resident Nice-guy
  • Unique Unicorn
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has donated to the forum more than once. This user has donated to the forum.
  • Marching onward on my Quest
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Lanner Falcon
  • Coloring: Selection of Browns
  • Height: Aprx 180cm
  • Weight: Aprx 50kg
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Well, it was a good run.
Re: Help Fighting Depression
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 06:47:22 PM »
As hard as it us for everyone. I recommend you find a way to get active.
Even if it's just once a week, you may find yourself living for that once a week.
I personally was in a fairly dark place before took up martial arts.
It's been a physical and spiritual journey that's changed my overlook of life as a whole.
There's even plenty of free online material to study.

Of course everyone is different.
Just break the mould.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot

Offline Na-Senpai

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 07:36:37 PM »
Thank you, I basically understand you. I was thinking of finding some form of hobby to participate in and try to reflect on it and so far wood carving seems to be something I'm interested in. I'll try and be active cuz in truth I hardly go anywhere outside of my home.

Offline ENOJI Kengura

• Boisterous Bear
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Topic Starter
  • http://jpst.it/DI-i Password: TFF
    • DeviantArt
    • Fur Basket
    • Awards
  • Species: Aakor (Wolf with Wings)
  • Coloring: Gray Base, Ears are gray at the bottom but fades to blue, which fades to black. My tail has a is gray base also, with a blue grid to it and blue dots in it
  • Height: 5'9"
  • Weight: 120 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny, Slim
  • Currently: my happy attitude is not for everyone, so beware, cause i dont care! ^^
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:40:06 PM »
Im sorry that you are going through this. I would like to start by saying that you are not alone and you have so many people helping you here, and it may not seem like it, but its true. We are here for you, and you will see the light of the day.  ^_^  I hope only the best for you, and I can be your shoulder to lean on whenever you need it.

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!
(I'M A (rp) PILOT!)

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:43:58 PM »
Hello good sir ^^

I just want to tell you, don't be depressed because you might not receive the proper help, or even medication. I know it sounds weird, but medication does not even have to help you get over your depression :)
(Which is a good thing ;D)
Rather, indeed, as Razot stated, try and see if you can get a hobby. It often takes your mind off of things and helps you craft skills for perhaps future endeavours. Besides that, it can be fun too ^^
And that's what is important: Having fun.

I know from myself  I like being inside most of the time, or I should say: I can stand it.
But, there are times I feel cooped up being inside, I get slow, a bit sad, and feel stuck. It's good to go outside and see a brighter world, I guess is what I'm trying to say :)

I had to kind of quickly type this down, but I hope it kind of helped :)
And if anything, feel free to message me if you'd like to talk too, I'm always open for PM's.
  • Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Na-Senpai

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 08:04:25 PM »
Hello good sir ^^

I just want to tell you, don't be depressed because you might not receive the proper help, or even medication. I know it sounds weird, but medication does not even have to help you get over your depression :)
(Which is a good thing ;D)
Rather, indeed, as Razot stated, try and see if you can get a hobby. It often takes your mind off of things and helps you craft skills for perhaps future endeavours. Besides that, it can be fun too ^^
And that's what is important: Having fun.

I know from myself  I like being inside most of the time, or I should say: I can stand it.
But, there are times I feel cooped up being inside, I get slow, a bit sad, and feel stuck. It's good to go outside and see a brighter world, I guess is what I'm trying to say :)

I had to kind of quickly type this down, but I hope it kind of helped :)
And if anything, feel free to message me if you'd like to talk too, I'm always open for PM's.

Thank you very much for your encouragement it does mean a ,lot when people can come together and help me when I ask and thanks I would love to talk to you naturally If that is alright I'm always looking for more friends and people to talk to.

Post Merge: January 23, 2015, 08:05:32 PM
Im sorry that you are going through this. I would like to start by saying that you are not alone and you have so many people helping you here, and it may not seem like it, but its true. We are here for you, and you will see the light of the day.  ^_^  I hope only the best for you, and I can be your shoulder to lean on whenever you need it.

Thank you I saw your request and I added you or atleast I'm pretty sure I did. I would love to talk to you personally and be friends and thank you for the encouragement it means a lot you have no idea.

Offline Ventus Fall

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented Top 50 Most Online
  • The dragon caretaker
    • Fur Affinity
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
  • Species: Fur dragon
  • Coloring: Greens, reds and grey
  • Height: Approx. 2,10m (6.9ft) -with ears-
  • Build: Slender
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: -Local senpai- Will maybe have ninjurai's in the future.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
Hello Na-Senpai
(Hehe, notice me, senpai ;D)

ANYWAYS :D
Yeah, it's funny, sometimes you indeed just have to ask. It's not bad to ask for help. It's very good you're doing it, in fact. It shows you are willing to accept help in the first place. Believe it or not, this is often the most difficult step for people to take, in whatever situation they might be in.
So I'm very proud of you you asked for help ^^
And you should be very proud of yourself too, don't be shy to be proud :)

I saw the PM, I'll respond to it soon ^^

Hope you find some more friends also on this forum. Some of my best friends I have met through this forum too ^^

• Signature art by: Mr. Razot
♦ The friendly fluffy furry art dragon ♦
-> PM me for any questions or if you just want to chat ^^ I love to help! <-

> > Ventus Fall's backstory and information. < <

Links to my art pages and more:

deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch - Twitter

Offline Rattatat

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: shimmering dark purple, pebble like scales everywhere except for the neon blue, glowing, scales on the back side of hands arms feet and legs.
  • Height: 6'#039#039#0395
  • Weight: 260 lbs
  • Build: lanky, toned, and angular
  • Currently: Curious
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 12:53:02 AM »
Hey there, sorry to hear that you are down. I definitely agree that you should get a hobby and do more social things even if you don't feel like it. I know from experience that depression makes you want to be reclusive and fad away, but don't do that, it will only make you feel worse. Instead, be active, do things, and stay in contact with your friends. It may seem hard to do at first but you will slowly realize that you feel less down for more time than usual. Eventually the depression may go away. Feel free to pm me if you want to :3

Of course take what I say with a grain of salt, I am no expert but that is what helped me, best wishes  :D

Offline Nicolas Cage

• Avid Aardvark
  • I can eat a peach for hours.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 03:57:58 AM »
Well, while I can't claim to know the specifics of your situation, this usually works out to be a matter of having more things you enjoy than things that depress you.

If there's a particular reason for your depression, I advise considering why that is and discussing it at length if needed. Several furs have already offered their ears, and I'd be happy to talk with you as well, if you felt like it would help. But considering that you already see a therapist, and I assume that you've been speaking with them honestly, I don't know how much good another ear would do.

If what you're feeling is just general depression, apathy or a lack of drive or motivation, then it's best to involve yourself with the things in life that you already enjoy. Or if that doesn't feel like enough, find new things that you like. As others have mentioned, being active and social is a great help; it can force you into productive situations more often than doing nothing at all, and more importantly, it's a change. Change can be therapeutic when you don't have as many redeeming qualities where you currently are.

Anyway, that's enough out of me. Hope that the advice in this thread has helped, and that you know we're here if you need us.

Offline Na-Senpai

• Avid Aardvark
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 07:04:29 AM »
Thank you guys so much for the advice and encouragement. In truth I guess the thing that makes this so hard is the moments when after I enjoy time with friends or do other things I still get depressed and still have a hard time. And I have been trying and doing the best I can to make it better on myself. It isn't an easy battle and I've lost plenty of times. But I'm still fighting and the encouragement from everyone truly helps. As for the details of the reason I'm not going to share so openly but it is from stress and experiences that get me this way.
I know I'm kind of rambling but just once again thank you guys. And I hope that even though I may not speak to you all when I am truly bad that I can be able to speak to you guys naturally and have a better time in the process.

Offline Dr. Prower

• Eager Elephant
  • Fennec Time ^-^
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: Fennec Fox
  • Coloring: Baby blue fur with long red hair, white fur on muzzle, tip of tail, chest and tummy
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 140 lbs
  • Build: Curvy
  • Currently: The Fluff Awakens!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »
It's true. You're not alone. None of you are. Depression is far too common of a problem, and even I have suffered from it. I had a rough relationship with my parents in my teen years, and very poor self-esteem that stemed from it, putting me in a depression that lasted a year. And just this last month, I secretly struggled with another bad depression brought on by my bipolar disorder, one that was partly caused and kept alive by holding everything in and hiding it out of fear that I would put stress on my fiance. I know exactly what it's like to be at your lowest point in life, especially when it's because of something beyond your control. Sometimes, the best thing to do is have someone around to talk to and vent about all your problems. This forum has lots of members like me who are more than happy to lend an ear and hear what's wrong. Even though I'm new, you can PM me if you need to vent. Don't be afraid to.