The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Parents and furries  (Read 530 times)

Offline TiberusBlueWolf

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • 'God will judge our enemies, we'll arrange the mee
    • DeviantArt
    • 'Be Unique, Be Furry' Facebook page
    • Awards
  • Species: Wolf
  • Coloring: Grey fur
  • Height: 191cm
  • Weight: 189 Pounds
  • Build: Semi Muscular
  • Currently: Feeling Rough
Parents and furries
« on: June 30, 2015, 12:15:07 AM »
By the topic title you can probably tell what this is about. Now I decided to explain to my Mum that I'm a furry, obviously she had no idea what they were so I started to explain. I explained it in a way where I made it clear where I was in the fandom and why, she understood but I bought it uo later that day and she still didn't understand the subculture fully.

She started asking about why we wear fursuits (I'm not to that level to be honest) and I explained again but left it at her not fully understanding.

Any advice? I'm not explaining it too my Dad as he would believe the Army and furries don't mix and that it's weird

We fight, We recruit, We are the anthropomorphic army.

2nd in Command of the Furry Defence Force. Lieutenant Tiberus. Special operations British Sniper.

Offline George

• The Cyan
  • Prancing Pony
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Obtainable by request Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • "Don't be square, be cube"
  • Species: Dragon
  • Coloring: Baja Blast
  • Height: 6'
  • Weight: Almost 200 lbs
  • Build: A bit soft
Re: Parents and furries
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 02:34:56 AM »
Eh, it's not like it's some big part of your life she needs to fully understand, or even care about. If I wanted to make it clearer, I'd just say it's your way of presenting yourself how you want to be seen, instead of how people's predispositions make them think you are. An escape of sorts. I still wouldn't sweat the fact that she doesn't really know what you're talking about.

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:48 AM »
From what I have seen of furries, they are usually the epitome of understanding and acceptance. I admire that. No matter your situation or color or nationality or age, there is always someone who is willing to listen or just talk. Tell them that.

As for fursuits... they can be another method of allowing customization of appearance on a scale not normally available in other situations. Correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:47:32 AM by HollowOfHaze »
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline TiberusBlueWolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:59 AM »
That's a great way of putting it thank you  :D. I just like to be open to what I like and love to talk about it. I've decided to leave it how I left it, she has a general idea and knows I'm a furry, but she just accepted it and didn't ask to many questions. And I'm happy to leave it at that. :)

2nd in Command of the Furry Defence Force. Lieutenant Tiberus. Special operations British Sniper.

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Species: Wolf Angel
  • Coloring: Dirty Purple / Grey
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: AT FIELD MAX POWER
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »
One word:

"Why?"

...i don't see the point in telling anyone that you are a fur. Just like i don't go around telling people random things about myself. Imagine me going around telling people "my shoe size is 11. Hey, you, my shoe size is 11. Mom, i have something to tell you - my shoe size is 11". Feeling like you have to break the news to everyone makes it creepy. Almost like how sex offenders have to go around the neighborhood and knock on peoples' doors. Don't make it awkward.
  • Signature art by: Teiko

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Most Online Top 50 Topic Starter
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 11:56:06 PM »
I think it is better for someone you know to find out from you instead of from the Internet Rulebook. Particularly Rule 34 and 35. Also, he isn't just telling a random person. He is telling his parents, people who should be able to understand any aspect of their children.

Overall, it is Ben's choice. If someone wants to tell their family, grats. It is personal preference. Celebrate diversity. Or something like that. Whatever. I won't be telling my parents just because there is no perceived need to, but if it ever comes up, I might.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 12:00:20 AM by HollowOfHaze »
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt

Offline Teiko

• Handsome wouf!
  • Eager Elephant
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • Species: Wolf Angel
  • Coloring: Dirty Purple / Grey
  • Height: 5' 9"
  • Weight: 145lbs
  • Build: Lean
  • Currently: AT FIELD MAX POWER
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »
Well of course now that you put it that way yeah  XD
  • Signature art by: Teiko

Offline TiberusBlueWolf

• Avid Aardvark
    • DeviantArt
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 12:11:56 AM »
I didn't quite word the explanation correctly and left one thing out. Basically I explained it to her because I was talking to someone on here via pm. She asked me about it, as some mothers get curious and stuff. So I end up in this situation which I'm fine with. Obviously I don't go around telling everyone, but at first, being myself I wanted to talk about furries to someone not over the Internet. So I talked to a friend who is an amazing artist, as I wanted to learn to draw my own. He knew about it but not fully, so wanted to know more. Cause talking about it wasn't a big deal, but the conversation was great.

Knowing myself I always get into something and have to tell friends I have new interests, no matter how odd or awesome lol