The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Some help with biased friends and other questions?  (Read 859 times)

Offline yo

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • chonie's
    • Awards
  • Species: yo
  • Coloring: yo
  • Height: yo
  • Weight: yo
  • Build: yo
  • Currently: yo
Some help with biased friends and other questions?
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:51:21 AM »
So, I'm getting into 8th grade, and so far all of my friends I met in elementary think furries are the furries you hear rumours about. Im pretty enthusiastic about being a furry, but so far I've told nobody I know. Is there anything I should keep in mind when doing so? On another topic, I've never met another furry. Did anyone else have this problem? If so, did you meet any other furries when heading into secondary? Thanks! ^_^
what the heckle

Offline anoni

• Zoomorphic Zebra
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Assigned to someone who is observed to be very friendly toward other members (frequently welcoming people in the Intro board, answering questions, etc.) This user has reported a valid and verified forum bug This user has made a suggestion for the forum that was approved and implemented
  • This statement is a lie
    • Steam
    • Kingdom of Lacertus (clan website) we're not furry oriented, but we accept furries (especially artists) :P
    • Awards
  • Species: Fox
  • Coloring: Beige
  • Height: 183 cm
  • Weight: 65 KG
  • Build: Slim
  • Currently: Cruising through the 4th dimension
Re: Some help with biased friends and other questions?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »
Ask yourself this question, do you really need to tell them you're a furry? Think about it carefully, weigh the advantages and the disadvantages and ask yourself whether telling them you're a furry will really be beneficial.

Being a furry should be treated as a hobby, you're probably interested in a lot of things that you don't tell other people about, why does furry have to be different?

Furries are also a secretive bunch, it's very likely there are furries in your home town, but you need to find them. Try searching for a local furry forum and see if you can find some furries who can introduce you to the wider community.
  • Signature art by: MrRazot
(int(e-x^2, x = -infinity..infinity))2 = Pi

We fight, we recruit, we are the anthropomorphic army. FDF forever!

$_ = "gntusbovueqrmwkradehijqr"; tr/a-z/lad hijacked under stop sign!/; print $_, "\n";

Offline Halei-Helai

• Handsome Horse
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years
  • A strange thing indeed.
    • Awards
  • Species: Lahaian
  • Coloring: White with black stripes
  • Height: 5'6"
  • Weight: 125 lb
  • Build: Svelte
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
There really isn't any reason to tell people you are a furry unless you think that they might be one too or that they are otherwise really cool and relaxed about stuff. I am fortunate in that some people I know are totally fine, but even then I don't make it my core identity and beat people over the head with it.

That being said, in middle/high school it might not be a good time to be out and proud about it. I knew a kid who wore collars, furry shirts, and even a tail to class and got his butt kicked and got called names on a daily basis. Don't be this person. Not everybody needs to know every hobby of yours.
Sorcerous sage and cataloger of curiosities
---------------
Feel free to PM me. I am always up for a conversation!

Offline yo

• Avid Aardvark
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years This user has donated to the forum.
  • chonie's
    • Awards
  • Species: yo
  • Coloring: yo
  • Height: yo
  • Weight: yo
  • Build: yo
  • Currently: yo
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:52:11 PM »
Yeah, I know that. I would NEVER put out that I'm a furry in high school. That would just be idiotic. My brother had to switch schools for a bullying problem, and there was absolutely NO reason that he was bullied, other than the fact that he was new. I would never do something that stupid! Thanks!  ^_^
what the heckle

Offline thefurryf0x

• Vibrating Furby
    • Awards
  • Species: Gray Wolf/Snow Leopard
  • Coloring: All of his body is a darker gray color minus the muzzle, ears, the stripes on the tail and the tip, and the nose which is all blue.
  • Height: 5'7.
  • Weight: 165 lbs.
  • Build: Skinny and very lanky.
  • Currently: What's up?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 11:35:39 PM »
Honestly, think it out. None of my friends know I'm a furry personally, though when they mention furries in a negative light, I either bite my tongue or defend them.
How close are you with your friends? If they are close, and you know they will be with you through thick and thin, maybe tell them. Or don't, your choice entirely.

Think about it.  :)

Offline Aldebar

• Avid Aardvark
  • Shag Carpet
    • DeviantArt
    • Tumblr
    • Awards
  • Species: Bovine (Yak/Bison)
  • Coloring: Blacks, dark browns, white outline around ice blue eyes.
  • Height: 7'6"
  • Build: Stocky, a bit thick
  • Currently: Staying strong.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 12:48:04 AM »
Some of the negative things people say about furries aren't entirely unfounded, I'm afraid. The best you can do is admit that some of the less-than-savory aspects and people exist but that not everyone who's a furry condones or participates these things. In my experience, getting defensive doesn't seem to help and can even make it worse in some cases.

I also agree with Halei-Helai in that sometimes there isn't a need to let people know about it anyway. I certainly didn't when I was in grade school, or even now, since my interactions with other furries are entirely online and the most I did IRL was draw anthro art in class. I had interests outside of furryness that I could share with my friends.

Offline HollowOfHaze

• Lovable Lion
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 50 Topic Starter Top 100 Most Online
  • I see no way in which this could go horribly wrong
    • Awards
  • Species: Heraldic Winged Lion
  • Coloring: Tan fur/feathers, brown hair, brown eyes veined with a golden yellow.
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 128 Lbs
  • Build: Not exceedingly muscular, but definitely not fat.
  • Currently: Forgotten.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:04 AM »
Don't go out of your way to tell someone. If they ask, and you feel that you can trust them with any form of sensitive information without a doubt, then go ahead.

My experience with friends who ask is a simple "Yep" followed by everyone going back to gaming and whatnot. Honestly, I don't think anyone I know really cares, and I don't mind that at all.

It's an infinitesimally small part of who you are, don't let it become a massive concerns of what people might think. It won't really contribute much at your age.
  • Avatar by: My personal friend SpunkyRaccoon on DeviantArt