The Furry Forums would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Debating where to go when I turn 18  (Read 413 times)

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
Debating where to go when I turn 18
« on: March 28, 2016, 02:49:00 AM »
Hey guys!!
     My brother said I could live with him when I turned 18 (he's 29 and has a home of his own), which I would really like; we can play video games together, there's a rec center a mile away that I already contacted about possibly working there, and if King Soopers is hiring, there's one a few blocks away as well. Right now the only close job is a Lifeguard. The supermarkets aren't the... best for me I don't think. Plus it would be closer in general to social events I might want to go to, and its much more relaxed than at home right now.
     My main concern is disappointing my dad. It may sound weird but it seems like he wants me to stay and help pay for all the expenses I've had them use over the years. I already spoke to him about still paying them not in the form of rent, but a normal monthly payment until they feel I've given them enough. That still doesn't sit well with him, and he won't explain why really.
     I'd hate to cause drama and create more problems with my parents, but at the same time living with my brother would give me a chance to move and clean out junk I don't need anymore (27 snow globes is a bit too much :P ) and I wouldn't have to be worried about acting 'abnormal' (like, I used to hate the color pink because it was a 'girl' color, and now I don't mind it, but my dad always comments about something with even a dash of pink, and it just... feels awful, I dunno).
     But at the same time, I don't want to give him a reason to lash out and hurt my mom or my brother. So.. I don't know, I figured outside input may be helpful, to at least get some ideas.

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
Re: Debating where to go when I turn 18
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:55:26 AM »
Honestly, move out. The last thing you need is to be stuck in an environment where there's no means for you to, well, grow up and move on. What are the "expenses" that they've had to spend on you? Is it stuff that they didn't have to spend but did anyway, or important things that you need? If that's the case then, well, you shouldn't *have* to pay them back to begin with. If it was the former, then, well, he should be satisfied with you continuing to pay them in a different form other than rent.

And honestly, if he can't respect you wanting to go out on your own, even if it is to live with your brother, then it's not good parenting. Sure, no parent wants to "lose" their kid, but at the same time if he's only keeping you around for the investment that you provide, and not any actual reason that pertains to your well being, then he's not exactly in the right. And the fact that you fear his reaction might cause harm, is all the more reason for you to have to get out of there.

Sure others probably won't agree but I've seen these quite a couple of times, and usually the people ended up staying until it was too late, and it caused more problems down the road.

Offline Nori

• Foxy Fox
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 8 years Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum. This user has donated to the forum more than once.
  • Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.
    • Steam
    • Fur Affinity
    • Awards
  • Species: {Aiklar http://aiklarspecies.webs.com/} & {Eastern Dragon}
  • Coloring: {Black, light blue, purple, turquoise, red and dark blue} & {Purple, lavender, sea green & black}
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 115 lb
  • Build: Lean
  • Reference: [link]
  • Currently: Recuperating
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:00:33 AM »
Mostly clothes and electricity stuff like that, they calculated the cost of baby stuff a while back as well. And I do online schooling, so Most of the later night energy is from me :) So I guess it'd be an in-between, though I get most of my clothes from thrift stores and yard sales now that I can have a bit of a say in what I wear.
And thanks for the input, though I'm sure they want me there to get more settled, though it's not a good location to earn a living all that well, for my weak points.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:02:47 AM by Nori »

Offline Nrein

• The Master of Speechcraft
  • Influential Ibex
  • awards This user has been a forum member for over 10 years Top 50 Most Online Top 100 Topic Starter This user has donated to the forum.
  • As the humans say, "The truth will out!"
    • Awards
  • Species: Dewott
  • Currently: Needing a Smoke, hardcore.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 03:04:52 AM »
Yeah, see, the cost of living in terms of baby stuff and electricity? That's not right. Especially if you're under 18 still. And clothes? I mean, are you supposed to be naked if you didn't want to wear anything that wasn't approved of? At this point I would just say, move. Move, figure out what you think if fair for X payment, and just go from there.

Granted, I'm a bit bias, I can't stand parents that try to make it out like their kids "owe" them for living with them. After 18? Sure, but before? No. Granted, I know 30 year olds who don't have to pay a dime to their parents that still live with them but, what can you do. *Shrugs*